“Walk to fishing”
Review of Madison Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yellowstone National Park
Madison Campground
“Walk to fishing”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Tent camped here for several weeks. This isnt your basic primitive campground. Although there are no facilities on site, this campground is much better suited to RV campers than those tenters looking for some privacy and solitude. The sites are small, close in without much tree cover and privacy. It is about a 15 minute ride to the village of West Yellowstone which would be your closest shower and laundry options. It is however, a 2 minute walk to the Madison River and some great fly fishing. The staff is friendly and courteous as you will find with all of the staff in Yellowstone..If you are looking for a bit more privacy, check out Lewis Lake which defines primitive camping or the tent section of Canyon Village.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Lou C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed here the last week of September and listened to bulging elk and coyotes all night - it was great! The sites have enough space between them, are paved, and most seem close enough to the bathrooms. The bathrooms were very clean and to my pleasant surprise, heated! I showered at the very nice Old Faithful Inn bathrooms for a reasonable price, which is not a far drive at all. Each site has a fire ring and picnic table. I bought a bundle of firewood and did not use it. I could have returned it for a full refund but I left it for the next campers. I would camp here again for easy access to the Old Faithful, West Entrance, and Norris areas.

Room Tip: Make a reservation! This campground is one of the few still open late season and it was full while w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank PittsburghPhotog
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I will preface this review by saying that it rained 95% of our trip to Yellowstone, and I am aware that this impacted the pleasure of our camping experience. That said...

The campsite was very average. I realize when you camp inside Yellowstone at an established campground, you will inevitably be cheek to cheek with your neighbors and this was a mixed blessing. On the one hand, we shared food with a man traveling alone. On the other, there were some inebriated young gentlemen next to us playing guitar quite late in the night/early in the morning depending on your point of view.

The lack of warm water and shower facilities was something we were prepared to deal with. We snagged a shower at the lodge for a few dollars (best money I spent in the park) and heated our own dish water. I appreciated the dish washing sink, as it is a bit of a luxery compared to our other campsites that trip.

The biggest problem with our camping experience was related to the rain. Our particular site had very very poor drainage and after a day of rain the entire thing was a puddle with small islands to hop across. We sat in misery underneath our rain fly, feet in puddles under the picnic table, watching the fire we fought to light slowly drown despite our best efforts as the fire ring filled halfway with water. Other sites did not suffer from this particular problem, but the final straw was when I went into the tent, placed my hand down, and felt the bottom of the tent ripple like a water bed. To my tent's credit, we had only tiny puddles in the corners. We ditched out the second night to a hotel, as all other sites were full and we couldn't just move the tent.

All in all, an OK place to camp. Nothing special, but nothing terrible. I'd probably stay here again if camping in Yellowstone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carla B
Fife, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our group spent 2 nights here in Sept 13. We were in the loop furthest from the entrance so it was quiet - no traffic noises there. The bathroom and dish washing facilites were right beside our pitches so not far to go during the night or when doing dishes. Quite a few RVs on and other groups close by but all well behaved at night.

It was very cold overnight with the tents solid with frost in the morning - remember to take 3 season sleeping bags as a minimum if camping later in the year. Madison is close to the geysers and some good hikes.

Room Tip: quieter in the loops furthest from Registration
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Pinkfootpat
Wyoming
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I decided to once again try a stay at this campground, simply because I needed the security of a reservation. Imagine hearing elk bugling in the background, only to have that beautiful sound drowned out by all the noise from your neighbors. Bathrooms have no hot water, no soap, and I don't believe even any paper towels. Basically, you are paying $22 for a noisy, cramped, spot on the ground to the multi-million dollar concession company that can't invent a single dollar into the facility. It is honestly quite sad.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank gator77
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My first night here I felt disappointed. No internet, no phone, no water, no showers. Oh sure, the river was beautiful, but I could hear car noise while I was sleeping...

We actually left to try another campground the second night, but it was full. So we came back for two additional nights. I'm so glad we did. Give this campground a chance. It really has so much natural beauty. Drive to a shower at another campground and come back, if needed. Make a campfire, look at the amazing stars and milky way galaxy, take an evening walk to the 8:00 PM ranger presentation that overlooks the beautiful river. This was the original location where the group met that decided to make Yellowstone a national park. If you fly fish, it's paradise. I also had books and drawing supplies, and my bike to ride around. So calm yourself down, city slicker, get into camping mode and enjoy it in all its glory. When you're done, the exit back to town is only 14 miles, and you can have all your modern amenities back again, including a nice, hot breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank BoiseLisaD
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed in this campground for one night, due to its central location for exploring Grand Loop Road. Guy that greeted us was friendly. Site was very small, and had NO shade. We were expected to pitch our tent on a bed of rocks, which made for a very uncomfortable night's sleep. Bathrooms were conveniently located and serviceable, and having a 5 minute walk to the river was great. Best saving grace of this campground was the great location and the low price. We would probably not stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to find a site with shade!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Neil and Sara W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Grant Village Lodge
Grant Village Lodge
#6 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
#1 of 39 in West Yellowstone
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
#1 of 1 in Yellowstone National Park

Been to Madison Campground? Share your experiences!