“Good Campground (depending on where you stay)”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yellowstone National Park
Bridge Bay Campground
Houston, TX
“Good Campground (depending on where you stay)”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We booked a campground on Loop F facing the auditorium for five nights. The campground had space for a medium sized (4 man) tent. The area had a paved parking space for our car, a shared bear locker, picnic table and fire pit. Loop E and F are both very well appointed and are close to Yellowstone Lake. The restrooms were always clean and had toilet paper. The camp staff were very helpful and nice. They told us about the nightly shows they had at the auditorium and gave us information on nearby things to do. This campsite is surrounded by Yellowstone Lake and is very peaceful. There is a nearby store at the Yellowstone Lake's boat dock that has basic necessities. The front office sells fire wood.

We took showers at the nearby Fishing Bridge camp ground. The showers were not timed and there was not much of a wait the afternoon we went.

I will say that the front loops A-D was basically a parking lot and they are very close to each other. Loops A-D have mixed RV and tent camping sites. I would not have stayed in sites and would recommend that you find other arrangements if these are the only options available to you.

Yellowstone is very spread out and this camp ground is not close to many of the restaurants, ice cream, or other amenities that you would find near mammoth hot springs and old faithful. If you are looking for a remote area than this is for you.

4 Thank vjack0887

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The largest campgrounds in Yellowstone National Park, including Bridge Bay, are managed by a private company (Zanterra) sp? and are noisy, expensive and overpriced.

The queue for checking in to the campground was ridiculously long. The staff were friendly, but clearly they need more staff. And their computerized reservation system is farked- Bridge Bay is the largest campground in Yellowstone National Park and we were sent all the way to the "H" loop, only to discover that our spot was already occupied. And the nice folks there told us we were not the first to come by with a double booking.

So we had to ride all the way back to the "check in" area, and I cut the line, because dammit, enough is enough, it's getting late, my kid is tired and hungry and we need to get this sorted. Again, the staff were very nice and apologetic and confessed that their computer system doesn't work very well.

Why is it that the corporate campgrounds are the most expensive, are understaffed and can't handle reservations, while the the old school campgrounds still managed by the National Park Service (Tower, Lewis, etc.) cost way less and work just fine?? Just another example of privatization run amok...

We were supposed to be in a "tent only" area but ended up surrounded by noisy RV's. It was late and I didn't want to ride all the way back to the check-in area a third time, so we stayed put, but in the future I will make a point to avoid the "corporate" campgrounds at Canyon, Bridge Bay, Madison and Grant Village. (And I discovered over the course of our trip that these corporate campgrounds exist in many National Parks and they are all equally over-priced, under-staffed and are lousy "value-for-money" compared to the remaining campsites that are still managed by the National Park Service.

Room Tip: Might be nice in the off season, but it's a zoo during the summer.
10 Thank T0nyBKK
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Nice campground smack dab in the center of the enormous Yellowstone national park.

We stayed in the J loop and had it to ourselves. Lots of trees, lots of space, and very scenic. We came after the end of the peak season so the campground was not very full. We were not disappointed with the scenery as well as the serenity of the campground itself.

Though there are no showers at this particular location, the bathrooms were extremely clean and nice.

The campground offered a talk by a park ranger in the amphitheater each evening.

The one thing of note would be to request to stay in one of the upper lids as the lower loops (a-d) look very crowded, had very little seclusion or shade. We made this request and it was granted, though they do not guarantee it will be. However as mentioned, we came at a slow time. Had we come at a busier time and had we been forced to stay in a lower loop, it would've been a totally different experience. But we didn't, so our experience was great!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank ptclough
USA
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Bridge Bay is handy since I can always get a reservation online even at the last minute. Plus, it is near Hayden and Pelican valleys for wildlife potential.

The registration personnel are extremely friendly and helpful. They take cancellations before 11am of your night reservation.

The easy trail to Natural Bridge is right out of the campground and a delightful discovery. It's also nice to walk down along the lake.

The evening ranger programs at the amphitheater are very professional, informative powerpoint presentations on a big screen. I've attended quite a number of them and they were all great! Take a flashlight, warm clothes, & something to sit on, especially if it has rained. They are well-worth it.

Except for some hidden gems in the upper A woods, loops A, B, C & D are most.y out in the open with no protection or privacy. With my tent in loop D, I watched some tents and vestibules blow down in the high winds as it is very exposed.

I had a grizzly bear in the meadow below my tent in June and have always had bison in the campground. I now sleep in my camper shell with those bison stomping around.

If you have a tent, request online one of the upper lettered tent-only sites, not D. Those upper tent-only sites are quiet and more secluded, some with views of the lake.

With my truck camper shell, I enjoyed staying in loop G, which has some nice back-ins that are private also with lake views. Loop H was very crowded when I was there and our sites were so close together I could hear snoring and belching in the night from both my neighbors!

Campers left cases of drinks, water containers, and lots of clutter out and I wish the hosts there would crack down more.

Room Tip: Request an upper loop
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank denalicat
Israel
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We spent two nights there in the end of July.
The camping is very spacious, very nice view, located near the Yellowstone lake.
The campground is located in a good location and can be reserved (G loop).
You can buy wood for fire and have a nice BBQ there.
The campground was clean and there was no noise from neighboring campers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Farhi23
Wichita KS
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We spent 4 nights in F loop in late July. The camp site was fine and well maintained. The bathrooms were the cleanest I have ever seen in a campsite. They even had a dish washing station which was very helpful.

We rented the largest site available (F Loop) and privacy was ok, not great, but for Yellowstone it was better then I expected. I noticed when you first drive into the campground there was a large "field" with many sites all next to each other. No cover between sites at all.

I would not have been happy staying there, so make sure you get one of the larger more expensive sites.

The location is good for seeing the park...really no matter where you stay there is a fair amount of driving. The General Stores which are located at each camp site are fully stocked (even nice selection of wine).

4 Thank Bill-Happy-Traveler
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I gave this campground two points. Once because it's located inside Yellowstone. One because you are able to make reservations ahead of time. Our campsite was located in a field so close to the next site we heard their intimate campfire conversations. Our water souce by the bathhouse was falling down with orange construction plastic wrapped around it. Staff do not take bear preservation seriously. There was one bear box available to about 14 campsites. Quiet hours are not enforced. I was honest when making reservations about the size of our tent camper and SUV. We could barley fit them onto the site. We stayed one night at Tower Falls campsite and I wished we had stayed there the whole time.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yellowstone National Park
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabins
Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Cabin...
#2 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Grant Village Lodge
Grant Village Lodge
#6 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabi...
#1 of 6 in Yellowstone National Park
Old Faithful Inn
Old Faithful Inn
#1 of 1 in Yellowstone National Park
Lake Lodge Cabins
Lake Lodge Cabins
#7 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park
Pahaska Teepee Resort

Been to Bridge Bay Campground? Share your experiences!