“8 hour wildlife guided tour with Ted”

Yellowstone Institute
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This organization was recommended by a family member and it certainly paid off for our party of four. Ted was our guide and he did an amazing job of spotting and setting up the spotting scope so we felt up close and personal to the animals. We were able to see long horn sheep, coyotes, mountain goats, a momma moose and baby, a grizzly (grizz), a badger, a yellow bellied marmot and buffalo galore! This is a great organization that gives everything back to Yellowstone! I would use this organization again and I would ask for Ted.

4  Thank Cari59

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I booked for a hiking trip in Yellowstone based on the description at the institute's website. The institute offers a variety of classes and trips. The group we hiked together consisted of 10 adults and 3 teenagers including the guide and us. Our young guide, Carolyn was enthusiastic and yet prudent making my first visit to Yellowstone memorable and safe in the wilderness. Carolyn drove us between our lodges and the trailheads. She then led us during our hikes providing relevant and intriguing information about the park and its wilderness throughout. All of the participants in our group were delightful to hike with. For me this trip provided just the right combination of hiking in the wilderness by day and relaxing in the modern amenities by night.

4  Thank Typ1calTraveler
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I went to Yellowstone in June. I happened to come across the Yellowstone Association before my departure to Yellowstone. I was interested in the 2.5 day birding class offered. I called but the class was full. The person I spoke with was extremely friendly and offered to put me on the wait list. She did inform me that several others were ahead of me and it was unusual to have that many drop outs. Lucky for me, I got a call that there was a single opening. The only caveat was that there was not space to stay in their cabins. This was fine with me....I had already paid to stay in the campground in Canyon.

I have always liked birds and became even more interested in them after a safari trip in 2011. But, I did not have any birding experience.

The class was fantastic. The first evening was a meet and greet and an orientation. The next day we got started early. We all loaded up into the shuttle bus. The YA provided nice viewing scopes. Plus several other classmates brought their own. The class size was perfect. Enough to facilitate good conversation and participation,...but small enough that we got needed attention.

We stopped at a lot of spots. Many I would have not even thought about. Over the two days we spotted 71 different species of birds. Plus, the instructor was very knowledgeable and very enthusiastic about birding. At each stop, he helped identify birds. As we drove he had a lot of stories about different birds...the history of birding....very compelling speaker.

We went to quite a few areas of the park. We did a small amount of hiking.

This was a great experience. The value was great. Everyone that I dealt with that worked / volunteered for YA was extremely nice. It was abundantly clear that they care very much about the park and about conservation. I cannot think of a single negative note from the experience. I would take another class with them in a heartbeat. Great organization and a great class!

3  Thank texasfla
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We live in washington where we have many active volcanoes. It is intereting to see how this area was made. The Tetons near by in the south are worth exiting the south end of the park. The newest exposed of the oldest rocks are in these 2 parks. Interactive hands on learning and videos.

1  Thank Pamela R
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We had a private tour to watch wildlife in Lamar Valley. Tracy was our guide, and she was wonderful! She shared lots of general knowledge about the features of the park and did an excellent job of tailoring the tour to our interests. Her connections to the wolf project folks also helped tremendously! She was easygoing and friendly, and we just enjoyed hanging out with her! We are already looking into doing some of the other classes/tours offered by the Institute! The Yellowstone Association also has a store in Gardiner where you can pick up maps and souvenirs. We can't wait to go back!

2  Thank bjessi