“Brilliant but if you can view from both rims”

Lower Yellowstone River Falls
Book In Advance
More Info
$260.00*
and up
Yellowstone Lower Loop Full-Day Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: A spectacular waterfall located in Canyon Country.
Loughborough, United Kingdom
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Brilliant but if you can view from both rims”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Last year we came to Yellowstone and were blown away by how lovely this was however we were at the start of our holiday and hadn't acclimatised so we only did part of the north rim viewing because neither of us felt up to the walk back up fro the top of the lower falls.

This year we came back to Yellowstone only this time we were acclimatised by the time we reached the park so I went down to the top of both falls and I am so glad I did because the views along the canyon from the top of the lower falls viewing area are quite spectacular and being able to watch the water thundering over the top of the falls and feel the spray on your face was spectacular but getting back up the switchback path was hard work so I couldn't recommend it for everyone.
We have visited a number of National parks in the states and I have to say if you love waterfalls this is one of the best and it maintains a good flow of water throughout the year so if you haven't seen it yet do there is easy access from the south rim so its suitable for just about everyone.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Rita_and_Alan

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hamilton, New Jersey
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Worth to go to the bottom”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

As long as your physical conditions allow, you should go all the way to the bottom (a descent of about 600 feet by trails) to stand by where the Yellowstone River plunges into the canyon.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank Pat2012NJ
New England, North Dakota
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Nice spot”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

At the top viewing point, you have great views of the lower falls on the left and the grand canyon views to the right.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Bdela
rapid city, sd
128 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 193 helpful votes
“Stairs, Stairs, Stairs”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The hike down to the brink is steep (drops about 600 feet in 1/4 mile) so the hike back up is even steeper--well, not really, but feels like it!! There are several nice observation points along the rim, but to get the full effect you have to hike down a long trail with 300+ stairs. My son and his friend, who are both young (18 & 20) and in pretty good shape, did this hike and my son was still sore two days later. So be warned. I declined to do it---I would probably still be down there!!!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank rpdmom
Northern Minnesota
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“beautiful, of course”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

we loved the waterfalls in yellowstone. depending on where you are, you may have quite a hike to see some of them so make sure you check before you take off! i was 8 months pregnant and had to sit out the hike down to the lower falls - and was glad I did when I saw people coming back up from the hike!!

Visited July 2012