“A Must See” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lone Star Geyser

Lone Star Geyser
More attraction details
Owner description: Famous geyser in Yellowstone National Park.
Egypt
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“A Must See”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

Although this is not the tallest geyser & it takes time to visit, but for me its the best. What really marks this geyser than the other famous ones is that it is in the backcountry (no broadwalks) & you can enjoy it all to yourself (only me & another hiker when I visited).
The hike to the geyser is beautiful & easy and when you arrive there are a lot of views & some wildlife to admire while waiting for the geyser to erupt.
Note: it erupts every 3hrs or so so check with old faithful VC before planning your hike & there is a log book there to record the eruptions so record your timings, its really helpful for other hikers.
Enjoy!!!

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Mobz11

Sechelt, BC
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

The Lone Star Geyser sits all by itself. You access it by a 4 km hike or bike along an abondoned road. The trail takes you along the river and through meadows and trees. The trail is relatively flat. Relatively predictable it erupts every 3 hours. Unfortunately, there are no times of eruptions posted at any of the info centres nor the trailhead. There is a log book located right at the geyser. It is important to note that there are both minor and major eruptions. The major eruptions last about 20 minutes. The log book describes in detail the differences between major and minor eruptions. When we went all but us and 1 more visitor left after a minor eruption convinced that they had seen all that could be seen. After reading the info in the logbook we were pretty sure it was only a minor eruption. And we were right - 30 minutes later we were rewarded with a grand 20 minute eruption. Suggestion: be patient, ask hikers on their way out what and when they saw an eruption, bring a lunch/snacks to pass the time if need be.

1 Thank thecoastcouple
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great "hidden" treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2003

As I was out in Yellowstone NP for this past summer (2003), I had the opportunity to see Lone Star geyser erupt on several occassions. 3 times while I was running past it coming up from the Old Faithful geyser basin, it happened to be erupting, interesting odds with it's 2.5 - 3 hour build-up of steam and pressure until eruption. It was relatively unvisited as far as I could tell-on busy, great weather days throughout June and July, the most people I saw there at any one time was about 10. It is a two-mile (four round-trip) from the nearest road and I usually visited it on my 8-mile run loop. The rangers at the Old Faithful visitor center can tell you an approximate time it will erupt, and maps to get there--though it's a no-brainer with the paved fire road to it. It's a large tapered, cylinder-shaped cone--one of the largest in the world. I was more impressed with it than Old Faithful, though I saw OF go off probably 100+ times.

If you have the opportunity, definitely go to YNP--it's a wonderland of creation that's waiting to be explored. And do take some hikes, if only for the day. I found on my runs I would see less than a dozen people, usually only 2-4 on 10-15 miles of trails. Compare that with 10,000+ in the Old Faithful basin on a busy day. Enjoy.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Lone Star Geyser - don't miss it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2003

After our disappointment with Old Faithful, we decided to take the walk to Lone Star Geyser. The geyser sits tall and proud all by itself in an open area. We sat waiting for more than an hour and were about to leave when the geyser started spouting and put on a wonderful display. Many of the people then left, but I had read the notes from people in the book at the geyser and knew the real show would start in about another 20 minutes. And we were not disappointed. The geyser erupted a second time with lots of steam, noise and tall spouts. It was an incredibly exciting display of raw power. So glad we waited - you will not be disappointed.

28 Thank A TripAdvisor Member