“Excellent food, great service, friendly atmosphere - An Alaskan Gem!”

Tonsina River Lodge Restaurant
Cuisines: Russian
Valdez, Alaska
“Excellent food, great service, friendly atmosphere - An Alaskan Gem!”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My wife and I are frequent visitors to the Tonsina Lodge. We go out of our way to drive two hours for the food... it is just that good! The kind folks at Tonsina specialize in Russian food, and it is awesome! The American menu isn't bad either. My favorite dish is the borsch and manchanka.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank AmericanOdyssey

Anchorage, Alaska
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great people. An oasis for tired hungry travelers.”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I stopped in while cycling the Richardson Highway from Valez to Fairbanks. I was wet, tired, cold, and hungry. I was expecting to find little more than a place to rest for a bit before continuing down the road. Instead I stumbled into one of the highlights of my trip.

The food was great, the staff was attentive, and the prices were very reasonable. It's a bit of a cliché, but I really was treated like family. Except I didn't have to wash the dishes.

I came in cold, wet, and hungry. I left refreshed, feeling great, and with a new name on my list of favorite places. I will make a point to visit whenever I'm in the area.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Tom P
Los Angeles, California
“Fantastic Russian Food, great atmosphere, perfect night”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Mile 79 means a lot when you are bike touring, and travelling with my Russian husband, our mouths started watering at mile 60 when we found out that the Tonsina River Lodge was not only a great hotel, but was owned by Russians who were fantastic chefs. Although they have traditional american food, which I assume is great, choose from the Russian side of the menu. If you are lucky, they will have borsht- don't be scared that its made from beets. Seriously, it is fantastic. The meats are cooked to perfection, thin crepes filled with potatoes or vegetables are to die for. Can't imagine driving over the pass to Valdez after eating all this goodness? Then stay the night and book an hour in the spa. There's a big screen TV and a sauna. If I had a teleporter I would be here once a week.

2 Thank 1derroller
ann arbor
“best meal since leaving michigan”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Excellent main courses. Spouse liked the borscht and blintzes, I had the suasage, ham, pepers, potatoe dish which we both agreed was the best dish since leaving Michigan two weeks ago. Staff is excellent and very helpful

2 Thank dogsncoffee
Lansing, Michigan
“Surprisingly great!”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We were driving from Anchorage to Valdez, spent most of the afternoon fishing in the Klutina River, then headed toward the Tiekel River Lodge for our night's stay. We wanted to have dinner along the way. There was exactly one restaurant along the route, and when we pulled up our expectations were below low. This is a ramshackle rough looking place, and a small sign on the road said "Russian and American food". But we were hungry so we went in. Wow - 5 old fashioned dining room tables with nice lighting, a super friendly staff (mom, dad, and son), and great Russian food! There were 7 of us and we each ordered something different and it was all good. They have an American menu too, but no one had that. Great beer selection on tap, including Longboard, which impressed my 20-something kids to no end. We had a great time, had a great meal, and would definitely recommend them to anyone traveling along the Richardson Hwy (at mile 79)

3 Thank travelmolly