“Very Accomodating B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seneca Falls
VanCleef Homestead Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Seneca Falls B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed at this B&B during our annual trek to Lake Cayuga for the Wine & Herb festival. The rates were very reasonable at it was only 5 minutes to Montezuma Winery and 10 minutes from Swedish Hill. The Innkeeper was very nice and welcoming. The rooms were very well maintained and surprising large bathrooms given the age of the home. The innkeeper set up a table for us in the living room to play a game on and had complimentary drinks in the dining room. Breakfast was great with multiple courses and requests taken the night before. This is the best place that we have stayed on Lake Cayuga!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
vancleefhomestead, Owner at VanCleef Homestead Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

It is wonderful to know that the little things we do for our guests do count and are appreciated. We always encourage guests to make themselves "at home", and playing games or listening to music and drinking wine while visiting in the living room is a common scene. More and more young couples are enjoying the pleasures of a B&B, and it is a particular treat for me to host their stay. It reminds me of my own kids having friends over or bringing their friends and roommates home from college. I miss that! Thank you, Bryon from Philly, for your kind words and for choosing VanCleef Homestead!

There are newer reviews for VanCleef Homestead Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last weekend and it was lovely! Carol greeted us as we arrived and gave us a quick tour of the house. There were cookies waiting for us in the dining room, and we were invited to play our own CDs in the living room should we want to. Our room was clean, comfortable, and (perhaps most importantly) warm. There was also a small selection of DVDs, books, and magazines in the room, which was a bonus! In the morning, Carol prepared blueberry pancakes (after asking us if that was to our liking) along with an array of other breakfast treats. It was all delicious. Carol was also well-versed in the town's history and current going-ons, which was helpful to our tourist-y inclinations! All in all, we loved it, and we look forward to staying there again should we find ourselves in the area!

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with the clawfoot tub, and, boy, was it worth it! Who doesn't love a good...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KathleenBlythePihl
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was our second time staying at the VanCleef Homestead and we had yet again a wonderful experience! The breakfast was delicious and Carol made us feel like we were at home. We're looking forward to staying here again!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
vancleefhomestead, Owner at VanCleef Homestead Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

The biggest compliment we can receive is having guests return. More and more young couples are appreciative of what a bed and breakfast has to offer, and it isn't uncommon to have our B&B full of 20 and 30 somethings. Our goal is to make every stay memorable so they will come back - again and again! Thank you for your kind review! It is easy to treat wonderful guests like family!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We came to the Vancleef Homestead in the middle of winter hoping to catch some of the beauty of Seneca Falls in the snow. Fortunately for us the snow came down the week of our trip and we caught the perfect mix of scenic beauty and clear roadways. We were greeted warmly by Carol when we first arrived and she gave us a quick look around the inn. The interior is beautifully decorated and despite the cold outside the inn was nice and warm. Carol gave us a fantastic recommendation to the Deerhead Inn on the waterfront. We stayed in the Vancleef room on the first floor. The room itself was beautifully apportioned and the bed was extremely comfortable. The next morning we spent talking with the other guests in the sitting room and around breakfast. We had fantastic conversation with everyone and the food was amazing. We could not ask for a better first bed and breakfast experience. The one thing I will say is that the entrance to the manor can be hard to find at night and I overshot it the first time. Apart from that, absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

If I could have rated this 2-1/2 stars, I would have. Although there were nice touches (chocolates in the room, a small vase of flowers, bathrobes), this bed and breakfast just missed the mark for me. We stayed in the Swaby Suite, two adjoining rooms with queen size beds and a very small bath with shower only across the hall. The owner was at church (on a Thursday evening) and her elderly mother was there to greet us (after much loud knocking and hand waving). She stood in the hall and pointed out things: your rooms are upstairs, the dining room is behind me, and the living room is in there. When I asked what time coffee was ready in the morning, she said “Yes, we have coffee.” I understand people have commitments, but at $175 a night, I think arrangements should be made to greet guests warmly. That is why we stay in bed and breakfasts and not Marriott Hotels. Carol said breakfast the first day would be at 8:30 to accommodate a couple who had not even checked in yet. Coffee would be ready at 8:00. Because I'm an early riser, I schlepped out at 7:00 for coffee at Dunkin Donuts. When I returned I was surprised to see coffee ready and breakfast being served to the couple who had checked in late. Breakfast was nice enough, but we had to leave early our last day and we were not disappointed in the least that we would be missing breakfast. Carol, the hostess, was cordial, but we did not find her to be overly friendly or helpful. She answered questions, but did not volunteer information about the area, things to do or the history of the house. We actually learned more about the home from a guest who grew up there. The second night we were there, the outer door repeatedly was locked; guests are not given a key for that door. We were locked out twice. Once it was my husband and when he knocked (for quite a while), Carol asked “Can I help you?” She didn’t recognize him from breakfast that day. Carol implied the lock problem was either us inadvertently locking the door or our 21 year old son being a “prankster,” until another guest who had checked in after us said “Oh, I’ve been locking that door.” There was a lamp in the hall that shined in our room at night. I turned it off one night and the next day there was a note that said to not turn off the light because it was on a timer. (There were two chandeliers that kept the hall illuminated at night in addition to that small lamp.) We stay at bed and breakfasts exclusively and the Van Cleef bed and breakfast is at best average, especially given the price range. With the number of B&Bs in the Finger Lakes area, you don’t have to settle for average.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to face the street which can be noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PhoenixRobin
vancleefhomestead, Owner at VanCleef Homestead Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

It is difficult to please all travelers, but communication with the innkeeper is key so that we can insure they have a restful and comfortable stay. If I am not aware of a particular need or concern, I certainly cannot address it. We are happy to accommodate special needs and requests. Early coffee (any day) or evan breakfast because of travel plans, are easy enough to do. The reviewer mentioned a couple having early breakfast. Those guests had been here three nights, and they had a long drive ahead of them. They requested a 7 a.m. breakfast of cereal, fruit and coffee to enable them to get on the road by 7:30. I have found that serving breakfast at around 8:30 seems to work well the majority of the time. When the husband of the reviewer was locked out twice in the first few hours after his arrival, I suspected a problem with the door lock and checked it immediately after the second incident. When it was again locked in the morning, a female guest mentioned that she had locked it the previous evening after coming in from a smoke. After that, I duct taped the lock latch securely so that no one could accidently lock it. The duct tape has been removed, and there has been no accidental locking since. Our insurance company requires the hallways to be illumined during the night in case of emergency. For the safety of my guests, we have a small low-wattage, energy saver bulb in the light mentioned, because the ceiling lights are turned off at night. The guest was the first to note the light bothered them, but they never told me. We are fortunate to have guests stay who have lived in our home, and they delight in sharing their memories with the other guests at breakfast. We have all types of travel information, area maps, and personal recommendations for things to see and do, but some guests come with their plans in place. We are happy to answer any questions and meet the needs of our guests.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Situated on a corner (easy to miss if you're headed out of town quickly), the house is an amazing traditional colonial with all the trimmings. Delicious breakfast. Overall warm with a capital W - in every sense of the word. Superb!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank FlyingCJ
Reviewed September 9, 2012

From the moment we got there, Carol took great care of us, lending an umbrella early on, and then leaving out drinks, cookies, and everything else we needed for a great stay.

Everything was clean, comfortable, and it felt like being right at home. Breakfast was perfect for the day ahead, and it felt like everything we needed was waiting for us there. Couldn't have asked for a better way ro recharge during a hectic trip!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank edrick42
vancleefhomestead, Owner at VanCleef Homestead Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

It is always a pleasure to host guests who appreciate the little details that make a difference. We make every effort to treat our guests like we would like to be treated, and it is rewarding to be appreciated. Thank you for your throughtful comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seneca Falls
#1 of 4 in Seneca Falls
Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls
Holiday Inn Express Hotels Geneva Finger Lakes
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort

Been to VanCleef Homestead Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!