Hampton Inn Seneca Falls(Seneca Falls)(Great Value!)
$122
$75
$88
$80
$179
Hampton Inn Geneva(Geneva)(Great Value!)
$123
Hampton.com
$120
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsboutique hotelfront deskhigh ceilingshardwood floorsbar and restaurantfinger lakesqueen suitecontinental breakfaststreet noisekeurig coffee makerbeautiful hotelsconesgreat dinnerscallopswomen's rightsyogurthistoric building
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Clarence for the first time last week. There was a type of college conference therefore the hotel was busy. We were actually looking for quiet. (:. We noticed the noise from the street crossing lights, but turned the fan in the room on to drown that out. I have read other reviews. I agree and hope that the staff reads these. A reading lamp is needed on either side of the bed. And a comfortable chair in addition to the desk chair. The opening to the shower was very narrow and we are not large people. I think that guests should be told the first floor is actually the second and so on when booking. Due to the conference when we stayed the wifi was not always working and the staff at the desk offered no help or apology for that. It may just have been the particular staff person who was there that morning, though as we actually found the other staff helpful and considerate. We enjoyed the bar for a drink. We found the breakfast better than most continental breakfasts and like that it was ready at 6am. Loved the chandelier in the room and the ultra modern bathroom. We will stay again, but on the 1st, oops 2nd floor.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank M S
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We chose the Clarence for a recent visit to the Finger Lakes. We like a shower in the room (instead of a tub) and all the rooms in the Clarence are fitted out this way. This old building was originally a hotel and then converted to apartments. A few years ago the building was brought back as a hotel again.

The rooms are spartan. Our room had a queen bed, a large flat screen TV mounted on the wall and a single chair with a metal frame and a plastic seat! Not a room you would want to spend much time in unless you stayed in bed.

The continental breakfast was clearly 'continental' with bread, cereal, fruit, yoghurt, juice and coffee.

The staff were very helpful, providing another chair and removing the feather pillows and comforter to avoid our allergy problems.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2012

It seems the name of the hotel was adopted from the movie "It's a wonderful life" - Clarence, angel. THAT alone gives the stay some substance. However it was disappointing that I couldn't find any evidence of the namesake? Perhaps I just wasn't looking hard enough. The logo is a cut out of a man with wings. If you didn't connect the story to the logo, it might be kind of creepy. It would have been fun if there was some information about the name connection.

If you saw the movie "Pleasantville", you will be able to visualize the hotel. It is almost completely washed of any color whatsoever. It really is very pretty - VERY well done, but it screams for a contrast in color with art (there is no wall art). That could add a depth of experience to the design that is currently Ansel Adams in color tone.

The beds are PERFECT, lighting not so great. There were no lamps in my room, and the beautiful, high ceilings were a bit high to get some light on my reading material. There was no desk lamp either. It made for a clean, attractive design - but function was lacking.

LIkewise I stayed in the hotel on a Monday night. I think there couldn't have been more than a half-dozen guests in the hotel. Yet the desk clerk still saw fit to put me in room 103; a room in the back of the hotel, just over the kitchen. It was pretty quiet until they closed up the kitchen for the night... the whine of the exhaust fan lingered for quite a while. That was all fine until they decided to dump large crates of wine bottles into a metal dumpster. The sound was explosive and had me wide awake at 11:30... about an hour after I had turned in.

So, even with all that I would still rate the hotel high marks. I liked it A LOT. I thought the price of $109 was a good price for a low-season night. I think the front desk clerk could have been more engaging - she didn't reflect feeling of the hotel. Or maybe she did - she seemed some what "color-less" in personality.

Any other problems? Well, the alarm clock was set to go off at 4:30. It was hell trying to figure out how to turn it off. The curtain over the window was slipping off the rings. I think that was all of it. Just minor stuff - maybe a little annoying, but certainly not enough to keep me away the next time I am in town.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask the front desk clerk to locate you away from the kitchen.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank NSteele
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Clarence for Two night and the overall expeirence was good. The layout of our room 113 was excellent. The only odd thing is the bathrooms layout...it is like they installed the shower backwards. You have to squeeze past the toilet to get in and the towel hook is above the toilet. The showerhead should have been on the toilet side and the hook on the otherside. Separate sitting area with a desk and tv and a wonderful bedroom also with a tv. The decor is a bit stark and reminisent of a boutique hotel. The bed was very comfortable. There is an issue with street noise in the fact this room is located at the front of the hotel. I did ask the front desk if this would be a problem and was assured things would quiet down however there still was noise during the night and early morning. If you do want to sleep in it is almost impossible due to the beeping sound from crosswalks.

We had dinner in the hotel the first night and it was so so, decided to eat at the deli down the street and that was a great choice.
Continental breakfast was sparse...yogurt cups,bread cereal and apples and oranges.

I would stay here again and did enjoy the room but would try a similair one in a different part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 113 is wonderful with a totally separate sitting area but not if street noise is an issue
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kallietoby
Reviewed October 6, 2012

First, the good things...I stayed in Room #102. It was clean, bathroom great size. Staff very nice! Bed was comfortable and restaurant above average. Now the worst, street noise! I stayed here two nights and was awakened by loud talkers outside late at night, car alarm, police sirens. I would recommend if you stay here to not get a room on the street. It is not enjoyable to wake up each night once or twice!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business