All reviewsboutique hotelfront deskhigh ceilingshardwood floorsbar and restaurantfinger lakesqueen suitecontinental breakfaststreet noisesconesgreat dinnerscallopswomen's rightsyogurthistoric buildingquaint townblackout shades
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The Hotel Clarence sits at the heart of Seneca Falls - within a minutes walk of a lovely sculptor trail along the canal, the Women's Rights Natl His Park, and the Seneca Museum of Waterways & Industry (all definitely worth doing). The hotel is a fine historic building, fully renovated for a clean modernist interior (beautifully done - from public areas to rooms). The rooms are most comfortable. We also ate in the hotel restaurant (The Kitchen) and were fully pleased. The bar features Seneca Lake and nearby wines and was good fun. We were disappointed that A Wonderful Life was unavailable due to maintenance and that the front of the restaurant was still covered with plywood from a windstorm 2-3 months ago, marring an otherwise lovely historic structure. The hotel was also our kick-off point to the lovely vineyards around the Lake - great fun though by the fourth we knew we'd hit our limit. We spent the next night (as planned) on the other side of the Lake, at the historic Aurora Inn (see review),

Room Tip: The Trip Advisor tip to get a room not facing the streets was good advice. Totally quiet and a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PeterBrink
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband & I visited this area several times in the last few years on our way to Syracuse NY. We had previously eaten at the hotel's restaurant (excellent) & spoke to reservations person who offered to show us several rooms. We were impressed with the furnishings & decor & vowed to stay sometime. We finally had our chance last weekend. We knew we were arriving late & the restaurant would be closed. Called ahead & the front desk had wraps & salads waiting for us. Our room was very nice, old world charm with up to date touches & clean. The staff were friendly, wish we had more time to explore the area. We plan to stay again.

Room Tip: There was no soap, shampoo, or conditioner supplied in our room. Didn't check with front desk since we had our own anyway.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

When I booked this hotel earlier in the year I was told they were almost fully booked but I could have a family sized room with 2 extra roll away beds. I explained that the children were teenagers aged 15 and 17 but was reassured that the room was very large. As we were only passing through for one night I booked the room.
On arrival the receptionist was very helpful and when we asked for information on a drive in cinema she looked into it right away, she also recommended we try a traditional drive in restaurant.
The girl behind the bar was also very helpful. The hotel was very clean.
The room was awful.The extra beds were, what we call z beds, and with the large King sized bed if we had put both up we would have struggled to get to the bathroom. In the end we put one up and my husband slept on that and we all took the King. The z bed was truly shocking and every time he moved it squeaked and was very uncomfortable.
Breakfast was a complimentary Continental breakfast but was quite dull with very little choice.
We were glad only to stay for one night.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel was very charming with a nice look of the area. The price seemed steep for the region. The breakfast and the friendliness of the staff were both a big plus. The location is good although there is not much to see in this picturesque little town. We were here for a wedding. The nearby Waterloo outlets were excellent. There was no pool so accidentally I clicked the wrong button there.. Sorry! I was looking for NA!

Room Tip: Rooms can be tight... Ask for one with the little living areas.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband turned 40 and I suddenly realized although he has a big fishing trip planned to celebrate we had nothing to do on the actual date. We decided to spend one night in the Finger Lakes wine country (we're from Skaneateles so it was a quick trip). Of course this was 2 weeks before the date and every where I called was booked (Aurora Inn; Mirbeau; Belhurst Castle, etc.). I nearly gave up when a friend suggested the Hotel Clarence, she hadn't stayed there but had eaten there and thought it would be okay. It was only $200 for the night, much less than anywhere else we had called and we decided to chance it and go. After reading the reviews I was wary but the place was great. We checked right in, the room was nice the decor was fun. Yes, there is nothing to do in Seneca Falls, duh, not the fault of the hotel.The bathroom was fantastic, lots of room and nicely decorated. We were very happy with the room for the price and we've stayed in nicer places, but payed over a hundred dollars more. It's no resort or 4 star place but I think anyone could be happy there for a stay, the bed was super comfy and the staff was friendly and accomodating. We'd stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: The suites have more room than the regular rooms and don't cost much more!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple