“Depressed Town” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Seneca Falls
Cleveland, Ohio
“Depressed Town”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

Seneca falls may have once been a thriving robust town in the 1900's but not in 2011. A few college type bars and a glorified subway -deli shop were about it on the strip, oh there is a make shift museum that did serve it's purpose to provide some background as to what made this town map worthy. I'm sorry to sound bitter....really I do. Now, if you are a wine drinker their are many wineries to visit outside of the little town, ok....if you want to shop an outlet mall...their is one of those too. I happen to get wine eyed after 3 glasses and I have the same outlet mall 45 min from my home so neither option appealed to me much. Oh,not to mention my boyfriend would rather be locked in a bathroom then go window shopping,lol.

Onto the review of the hotel. At first sight upon entering I /we were pleased with the modern trendy decor however the photos on their website make it look much larger,most pics do I suppose. The desk attendant was very friendly and the check in went smooth. Our room was scary small and looked onto the roof with all the lovely blowers. We looked at another room, view was just as bad. The decor is modern minimalist if you will. All white walls,no artwork, hardwood floors and high ceilings....great if I'm in New York and only plan on sleeping and showering but in that dead town a nice comfy warm room would have been awesome. Very nice wall mounted tv with expanded cable and a Keurig coffee maker is a plus. You will not find a workout room,but you will find a decent bar with crappy hours and a trendy restaurant that is in fact the only restaurant in town, unless you just want chicken wings or Chinese from down the street.The restaurant staff was great, nice and expedient. My boyfriend enjoyed his veal cheek dinner, I however got an over cooked filet, they took it off the check without us asking, we thought that was very nice. We both decided not to stay the second night even though it was paid for. The deal was good,but we were bored.

My overall of this trip.....don't go unless you visit wineries and want to go to the outlet mall, otherwise...not much to do or see.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cusmoso

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

We got to Seneca Falls past mid night.. after a long drive from NYC with a very bad weather along the way we were so happy to find the hotel so warm and nice. I am a big fan of beautiful decors, and the minute i walked into hotel Clarence i knew the place was special. It was beautiful with very unique colors and fanitures. The room was amazing....i loved the bed...... the colors in the room, white, gray/silver and grape like purple accentuated into such a warm, cozy,romantic place. The only bad thing is that we did not have a bath tub in our room ,but that was a minor compared to all the beatiful things around the hotel. the shower gel..omg...smells sooo good.... The dining area is amazing,.....i always look for beautiful places to celebrate my birthdays and i was telling my boyfriend that i would definately celebrate my birthday here koz the place is so beautiful, and the foood is beyond amazing. try their mashed potatoes and onion soup... The bar area is morden and nice as well.... i would definately recomend this hotel if you just want to get away from all the city chaos..... i was shocked that the outlet mall had all the designer stores from coach to calvin clain, to guess..... i had a wonderful stay..

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bettyxp72
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

It was the middle of the afternoon when we checked in. The girl at the desk was sweet and accommodating. Once we'd hauled all our gear to our room, we headed back down to get the lay of the village. Once again the clerk was helpful, making suggestions as to where to eat and what to see. We had reservations for the Devine Kitchen the next night, where the staff was attentive and the food was wonderful. We spent our second day roaming the area, taking pictures. When we got back, we were welcomed by the desk clerk and she was interested and pleased that we'd had such a good day.
The staff couldn't have been more helpful or accommodating. The room, although small, was furnished tastefully with a chandelier over the bed and ceiling pot lights for reading. Everything was immaculately clean and I loved the modern minimalist decor. We found the room cold when we first arrived but a digital thermostat took care of that. We just raised the temp in our room till we were comfortable. Our view was of the parking lot, so there wasn't much to see, but the blackout shades on the windows meant that we didn't wake at the break of day.
We've never stayed anywhere else in Seneca Falls, but our experience with the Hotel Clarence was top notch and we've already decided to come back in warmer weather to do another photo shoot and our plans will include the Hotel Clarence.

Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

I first stayed at this hotel in september when both the ramada and hampton inn had no vacancy during parent's weekend at Hobart and William Smith College which is a 5 minute drive from both hotels. I am so glad I found Hotel Clarence. It's worth the extra 15 minute drvie from campus. The beds are so much more comfortable at Hotel Clarence for the same price. The restaurant has excellent food at very reasonable prices for the quality and service unlike the chain hotels. The only drawback, I found was the bathroom. Odd kind of shower set up and it took a bit of time for the water to heat up but then again, I stayed this past week in the coldest month of the year so that may have something to do with it. The staff is friendly and courteous and ok, I'm also a sucker for anything to do with "It's a Wonderful Life" which is the theme of the town of Seneca Falls.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank faithmBoston
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

Stayed in a suite, absolutely gorgeous. Divine restaurant was exactly that, delicious and not over priced in the slightest. Bar was fun and the decor of the whole place was stunning.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

Great little get away mid winter. We stayed at the Clarence, and hit the ski slopes of Bristol only about 45 minutes away.

The hotel is nice and quiet - in a nice quiet town. Parking was ample. The biggest thing was the rooms was so quiet. Hotels these days with the paper thin walls are noisy - and you can hear the noisy neighbours or TV. This place - the walls were thick. Super quiet - didn't even know you had neighbours.

The restaurant was pretty good. I had a great lobster tail. The BBQ offerings were good. My only complaint would be that all the deserts had alcohol in them - I'm allergic. The cheese & wine in the room was a nice touch.

I'd like to visit in the summer - I bet it would be pretty nice.

Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2011

What a disappointment! Unless you get a suite, the rooms are nothing to write home about and the food at the restaurant was terrbile. The $9/pp buffet was nothing more than cereal boxes and a hot plate of overcooked eggs and bacon, and dinner at the infamous Divine restaurant was so disappointing and overpriced. My husband and I got lobster and shrimp and somehow they both had been cooked to the point of having no flavor whatsoever. Save a load of money and delight your tastebuds by going to Jeremy's Cafe down the street. We noticed other hotel guests made the same decision as we did by frequenting that tiny hole in the wall diner rather than the hyped up and disappointing Divine Restaurant.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seneca Falls
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls
Holiday Inn Express Hotels Geneva Finger Lakes
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Geneva

Been to The Gould Hotel? Share your experiences!