“Decent enough family-style restaurant”

Skorpios Maggio's Family Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 215 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed June 26, 2006

I came across this restaurant when looking for Greek cuisine in Vienna. My aunt, who lives in Vienna, and my dad who was in town, wanted Greek food. We went in the early evening on a Sunday. Our first impression was that the place is kept very clean. We sat down and quickly learned that there are no servers. You need to go to the small counter with the cash register to place your order. The man working the register told us all this and handed us some menus. When we were ready to order, we then would go to the register, place the order and pay. However, when the man gave us the menus, he started chatting with my aunt. He discovered that she was Albanian and fluent in the language. It seems that he was from Kosovo and was pleased to chat with her in Albanian. So, as a result, we didn't have to go to the counter to order! He came to our table to take the order but we still had to select our sodas--there is a choice of using a soda fountain or getting bottled sodas, water, ice teas, or fruit drinks. When the food arrived, it seemed to arrive in stages. First, those of us who ordered soup got it first. The only soup on the menu is "homemade lemon chicken soup" (aka "avgolemono") which had chicken (white and dark meat), rice and large carrot slices in it. It had a faint lemon flavor. With the soup, came pita bread. Each of got a foil-wrapped package with 4 slices. My husband ordered a hamburger and was told that it would take "12-13 minutes" to prepare--no problem. It turned out that my aunt and dad got their meals first, my husband second and I was last. I ordered some rotisserie chicken which was said to be a house speciality. The portion I ordered was a quarter chicken. I asked for white meat and got it. It was moist and flavorful with lemon seasoning. With this dish, you get 2 side dishes. I choose the spinach rice which had rice and tomatoes in it. It was ok--kind of dried out. The second side was roasted potatoes, well cooked but bland. My dad and aunt both ordered spanakopita which they said was just "ok". My aunt thought it didn't taste very authentic. However, it did look as if it were. We didn't have any dessert although the selection looked good--cakes, pies and baklava.
Would we eat there again? Well---let's put it this way, we wouldn't go out of our way to do so but if we were in the area and wanted something that wasn't too expensive, we would consider it. Dinner for the 4 of us cost $36. There is a tip jar by the cash register but we handed a 20% tip to the man since he was extremely helpful and friendly to us.

1  Thank SueFee