“The Ideal Group Dinner”

Marco Polo Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The staff and servers of Marco Polo made our church leadership dinner a perfect evening. Alfredo the catering manager made setting up the evening very easy. They were flexible in the number attending as there was continous change in the number attending right up to the evening of the dinner. The room provided a private location that we could eat, visit and conduct the business of the evening. The food and the service was outstanding. They were able to create a menu for us that allowed something for everyone, and included dessert (strawberry shortcake) that was outstanding. The servers did a magnificent job keeping up with our party as well a large party next door to us. My hat is off to the Marco Polo for hosting a wonderful evening.

There are newer reviews for Marco Polo Restaurant

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I went to Marco Polo based on some of the reviews and pictures we saw online. We were so disappointed. First the decor was so out dated and smelled musty and old. We ordered Shrimp Cocktail as an appetizer and we received 4 Shrimp that were still partially frozen and watery – awful. Next we received our salads. They iceberg lettuce was chopped up so fine, it was like eating confetti and it was swimming in salad dressing. We both order a pasta dish for dinner and they were marginal at best, definitely not homemade. The only saving grace was the wine. We should have suspected something when on a Friday night at 6:30 pm, we were the only people in the whole place!

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I've been going to Marco Polo a couple times a year with friends who feel loyal to this neighborhood place in Vienna VA. Their prices are very reasonable and I usually see some kind of group having dinner meetings in a private room. But it is just so old and depressing and badly in need or a total renovation. They could use a "Chef Ramsey" intervention and make over.

Don't go. If you font feel like cooking You'd be better off going to the grocery store to take home a bottle of wine, loaf of deli baked bread, and getting an upscale gourmet label frozen stir fry meal. It will be cheaper and you'll enjoy it far more than Marco Polo.

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Its All subpar the food. The service. The decor. Nothing special. It's old and dated. Last good seating was 1968 there are to many other choices. Avoid this one.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I booked Marco Polo Restaurant for my Grandmother's 90th Birthday Party. We had about 40 people, a three-course dinner, and it turned out absolutely marvelous. My only regret is that it has taken me two months to get this review on the internet. But I will be sure to spread the word.

It took months of searching to find the right place to hold our party that didn't cost a hundred bucks a person with minimum spending requirements up in the thousands. In the DC area, this was a nearly impossible feat. When I found Marco Polo, I was almost nervous to use the venue because the pricing was so reasonable in comparison. But my nerves were for naught.

I can't express to you how wonderful the staff was at Marco Polo. Especially the manager Alfredo, who helped me book the event. I actually booked the event from out-of-state, sight unseen (although family had been going to the restaurant for decades), and Alfredo comforted me at every opportunity that he was on top of everything. He understood our need to keep costs down and compromised with me on package offerings and other extras. Because of him, the planning was a pleasant, wonderful experience.

When I arrived with my decoration team early in the day, the room was already in the process of being set up. The staff was also attentive to every need I and my asssistant decorators had throughout the day, bringing extra tables, answering questions, and offering beverages. I must admit, the location is in bad need of renovations, as the other reviews have said. However, with all the decorations I had planned (had a David Tutera epiphany), it didn't matter. A bunch of chinese lanterns, sheer fabrics, and balloons, and we couldn't even tell the room used to look like "the inside of my great aunt's purse." If I could have rated 4.5 stars, I would have ONLY on account of the outdated decor. The restaurant side, however, is more updated. It was the banquet side that needs help. Otherwise, it was spacious, and the perfect space for our event with plenty of room for dancing. They even had a large flat screen monitor for a video photo montage we had created (a new addition to the restaurant, and you're welcome, because we figured out all the technical snafoos for you all).

When the party began, Alfredo remained attentive to the schedule and flow of the party with me. He stayed for the entire function to ensure it went well. They had a coat check for our guests. Staff took drink orders and kept individual bar tabs (the way we wanted it, they also do open bar if needed). They took custom food orders for the children, and even created one menu from scratch for our vegan guest. The food was good. Tasty (have the Salmon in lemon-dill sauce, yum), decent portions, they made our cake also, which was good. I mean, it's not your 5-star gourmet, but we just wanted a party, not fancy-schmancy gourmet meals. They would have allowed our party to go on as late as we wanted it too also, although us old folks didn't revel too late.

To sum up, I can't say enough positive things about our experience with Marco Polo for the party. If I lived in the area, I would definitely use them again. The value for the service is unprecedented in the DC area. I am sure that our guests who live in the area may consider them for a meal or event at sometime also.

1  Thank Rosiee0916