“Acceptable”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

We order seafood platter with fish and shrimps, they were ok and the service was really quick although staff weren't that friendly but maybe the language barrier gave me this impression

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I've eaten many times at Tara Thai in Short Pump Mall in Richmond, VA. Food and service there is very good. Saw this one on my way through Vienna and thought that it would be a great place for a quick bite. Wrong! This Tara Thai must be an older location - the place just looks run-down and unclean. The restaurant is located in an office building that houses a number of other businesses, including a bank. The restrooms are not located in the restaurant but are outside in the hallway and they reek. The waitresses English was not good and therefore did not understand my wine order and brought me a horrible sweet rose after I had ordered the mediocre Sauvignon Blanc on the list. Our appetizers came out fast, but were nothing to rave about and just did not seem fresh or even interesting. Ditto with the entrees. But the real kicker - the hair that was deep-fried into my spring roll. Gross! Highly disappointing for a Tara Thai.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have been going to Tara Thai for at least 10 years. I must admit that we used to love the food and the servie. However, they both have gone worst this past year.

Last night, we decided to give them another try and after our experience at the restaurant, we decided that this would be our last visit. We ordered Panang Curry chicken (we asked for a less spicy dish- a usual request). When the food arrived, the portion of all dishes was much less then in the past. In addition, there was so much coconut milk in the Panang Curry Chicken that the sauce was white (it is usually reddish). When we brought this to the waiter's attention, she called the manager who suggested that we select another dish. We choose another dish (which happened to be a bit less expensive). When the bill came, they charged us for the Panang Curry (the most expensive dish) instead of the replacement dish. I paid the bill but wanted to bring this to their attention. So, I called the waiter who called the manager. After I explained that it is not about paying a couple more dollars for the Panang Curry Chicken (that is why I mentioned this incident AFTER I paid the bill), I told them that their action was wrong and this is not how to treat a customer. The person responded that it was the same price - FLAT LIE in my face! I objected and then, she rolled her eyes and walked away!!!!

If you are looking for good service, and a customer oriented staff, go somewhere else. The staff was simply rude.
We are sorry to have to scratch Tara Thai from our list of restaurant but they will not see another penny from us!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I have been in many Thai restaurants, including in Bangkok, and their pad thai is as good any any we've eaten, and certainly the best in the area. Attentive, friendly service.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just finished having lunch at the Tara Thai in Vienna, Virginia. The only reason I went there was a friend suggested it and I didn't want to be negative. However, I have eaten at various Tara Thai restaurants in the area and could never understand why they get good reviews. I have never had what I would consider food that lived up to their reviews in any of the their restaurants that I have been to over the past few years. This certainly will be my last visit to any of the Tara Thai Restaurants.