“Better Than Expected”

Tequila Grande
Ranked #24 of 186 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fresh Mexican Food in a family-friendly atmosphere made special for you.
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Looking for a Mexican restaurant in Vienna, Virginia, we started by searching The Washington Post restaurant guide. Found two possibilities. One was clearly more "gourmet," nouvelle cuisine, but had smaller portions (from photos) and inconsistent reviews. Tequila Grande also had inconsistent reviews, but appeared to be like your typical chain-owned Mexican restaurant.

We were pleasantly surprised. Physical plant was not well-maintained. Entire place could use some paint. Wife joked "just like in Mexico." Tequila Grande is like your typical Mexican restaurant. But both orders of food were very good, starting with very good chips and freshly-made salsa. Coupled with Dos Equis, on tap, it was a very pleasant meal. We would certainly go again. Good service, good food and it even seems like Mexico.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I have eaten here four or five times, but my most recent visit was the best yet. I ordered a special of the day---salmon soft tacos. They were absolutely delicious! They came with rice, a mango pico de gallo, and black beans (which they kindly skipped for me). My friend had a special as well---a kind of shrimp quesadilla (without the top piece of bread) that looked amazing. The service was friendly and attentive. All this for a very reasonable price. All around excellent restaurant for Mexican, which is rarely my favorite cuisine.

1  Thank Tiffy_Bird
Reviewed March 4, 2014

If you are looking for what is commonly held to be Mexican food in a welcoming environment, with reasonable prices, this is a great place for it. The food is tasty and prepared to order. The wait staff is accommodating. The selection is deep and broad. The atmosphere recreates a taverna. The proprietors appeared to be Asian, but that didn't detract from the value or the "authenticity" of the cuisine. My spouse is not all that fond of this style of cooking, so I get to eat there when I am with friends, spouse not included. It's not all that often. But, I have never turned down an opportunity to eat here.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We live only about a 10-12 min. walk from this restaurant. Because of its proximity, we have tried it many times. Unfortunately, we have never been thrilled with the food. The service is decent, but the food does not make one pining for more. Starting with the chips that are VERY fragile, the salsa served with the chips is a bit runny. Being a native Californian spoiled by great Mexican food growing up in the Golden State, I judge a good Mexican restaurant by its rellenos and tamales; neither make the cut at TG. Burritos are decent; beans are insipid and can only be endured by kicking them up with salsa as a compromise. All in all, we've never had a great meal at TG, and it's prices are not exorbitant but certainly no bargain for the fare. One can do a lot better by switching to Italian and making the drive to Espositos on Lee Hiway!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We always enjoy going to Tequila Grande. guacamole is super, very fresh tasting. The burritos and fajitas were excellent.

1  Thank food_junkies_703