“The best vegetarian restaurant I have been to” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 166 Restaurants in Vienna
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Budapest, Hungary
“The best vegetarian restaurant I have been to”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have traveled a lot and I have been to many vegetarian restaurants, but this one ranks first on my list. The place is small, with a home atmosphere and you start feeling relaxed once you enter through the door. The service is great, as the staff is quite polite and everyone gets enough attention.

The food is prepared with fresh ingredients and you can try some typical dishes from China, Thailand and Japan. You can order from several types of soup, several appetizers, entrees and desserts. You will not find alcohol here, but you can order beer and special wine that comes with no alcohol.

I have brought many friends here and I will never stop recommending this place as a great dining option. It is perfect for the vegans and the vegetarians, but it is also good for people who are not vegetarians but want to try this different approach to dining.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars

Pocono Mountains Region, Pennsylvania
“Sublime Vegetarian Food in Suburban Virginia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Sunflower Restaurant has a large sign out front that says "VEGETARIAN RESTAURANT."
How refreshing to see it in large letters!
This is a homey little establishment with righteous cusine that rates high marks for fresh ingredients, authentic Thai, Chinese, and Japanese cooking, and presentation that is elegant as well as generous. Oh, and did I mention that everything TASTES GOOD?
My party of three feasted on one shared appetizer (steamed dumplings), a cup of soup each (theirs was a spicy broth with mushrooms; mine was a delicate "ginger and fungi" soup, and two entrees (a curried tofu and vegetable dish, and a very convincing mock-beef "crispy soy protein" with broccoli and snow peas.
Every single bite was wonderful and we had more than enough to fill us up.
The restaurant does not serve alcohol, but they have non-alcoholic wine and beer beverages, as well as a variety of tea and sodas. The wait staff were attentive and very sweet. The decor reminds me of a rural cafe, although their decorator ran wild with the "sunflower" fetish--little bobble-headed sunflowers dance in each window, among numerous other tokens.
I highly recommend this place, certainly for vegetarians, starved for a nice dining experience, but also for their friends and family, who i promise you will not be disappointed. Prices are reasonable too.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
“Our Favorite Vegetarian Restaurant - anywhere"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

We have been regulars at Sunflower for years, despite the fact that we live 15 miles away! It is one of those restaurants where the food just feels like it heals you...rather than weighs you down. We come anytime we are passing through Vienna. The staff is always friendly. Just about everything on the menu is great, they are best known for the General Tsos, but the Sweet and Sour is also amazing. Try their cold basil roll in the summer for a appetizer. We have taken many friends and family that are very wary of going into a vegetarian restaurant, and then love it...with many dishes, if you didn't know, you wouldn't think it was vegetarian.

• Visited March 2012
Manassas, VA
“"My favorite Vegetarian Restaurant, so far!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I ordered the "Hot-hot, Shabu-Shabu soup" which has a very tasty clear base soup, lots of bok choi and brocoli, a little spicy. Surprisingly, a mushroom-beef look alike & taste like one, really amazes me. "Yuba" which is a roll of tofu skin, that looks like a "tripe" an ingredients from a Vietnamese "Pho" soup. Love, love this soup.
My husband ordered a veggie burger which he enjoyed so much. I would pass the veggie spring rolls next time. I love the decaf mixed herbes hot tea.
Service is prompt and friendly. Ideally if you are in a hurry too.
Definitely will go back.

• Visited February 2012
DC Metro
“Best Veg in Northern Virginia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I love this place. They have a wide ranging pan-Asian (and beyond) menu. I would advise meat-eaters to avoid mock meat and focus on veg and noodle oriented dishes. But for vegetarians and vegans, everything is delicious. My favorite is called "Popeye's Favorite" which is potato-spinach patties with a black pepper gravy. If you want the super traditional Chinese vegetarian food, head to Yuan Fu in Rockville. But if you just want good Asian veg food in Northern Virginia, you can't beat this spot.

• Visited December 2011