“Pony Rides, Kangaroos & crocodiles!”
Review of Roer's Zoofari

Roer's Zoofari
Ranked #3 of 20 things to do in Vienna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Don't expect sidewalk viewing of lions, tigers or great apes, rather friendly interactions with the feathered and furry. Visitors can purchase animal feed items, such as parakeet sticks, and watch as the colorful birds land at their fingertips; feed cups to hand feed giant watusi and gentle llamas on the safari wagon ride, or bottle feed little lambs and goats. Roer's Zoofari also holds a "Creature Feature" at 10, noon and 2pm where guests enjoy an informal animal meet and greet with a parrot, ferret, alligator, snake or other small animal.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Great fun for the 10year old and under crowd! Reston Zoo is small but well laid out, a relaxing way to spend a couple of hours. Easy, accessible parking. It is as "hands on" and interactive as you like -- you can walk around and observe, read about wildlife and the animals as well as choose to be more interactive. for example: They have a traditional Petting Zoo area with goats and rabbits, an aviary, Pony Rides and a "Zoofari Wagon Ride" which is a tractor ride that takes you around the grounds to view animals such as the bison, camels, zebra and ostrich. This was a highlight -- and the staff is wonderful as they pause the wagon to talk about the animals as well as ensure everyone gets a glimpse. You can purchase feed, milk bottles and honey/seed sticks to get close to your favorite creatures. For military if you show an ID card (active or retired) you are given a complimentary feed cup -- very nice for the kids! Don't expect anything fancy here, its a small patch of rural tradition surrounded by encroaching suburbian.

There are newer reviews for Roer's Zoofari

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We've held season passes, for the last 4 years, since we live nearby. Things have improved in that time. It is a fun place to go for an hour, or more, and even very little kids, like my 16-month old, enjoy it. Most recently, I took a 4-yo, an 11-yo, and a 13-yo there. We did a tractor ride, which is included in the general admission fee, and fed all the animals we could, including the little birdies. Asked to see the baby porcupine, and the keepers brought him out. He was super-adorable.
Animal feed and bird sticks cost extra, so do pony rides, and a swan-pedal boat. I told the kids to make sure they save the feed for all the animals, and to hold on to the cups (larger animals, like camels, can steal those out of your hand!) so they were all set with one large bucket. The place is just big enough to tire out small kids, and variety of animals is good. There are picnic areas, too. We paired the outing with the Watermine water park, which is right next door. We frequent the zoo, since we are nearby, so season pass is worth getting. A big thrill for the kidos, is that you can pet just about anything at this zoo. Like, a kangaroo, or a watussi bull. Pretty cool.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Great family outing, if you know what to expect. This is a small zoo geared towards children with many interactive opportunities. My husband and I took our 1 year old. We fed a camel milk from a baby bottle and fed little budgie birds from a Popsicle stick. The trip including admission and all the animal feed cost $30. I'm recommending it to all my friends!

1  Thank DrMelissaMonson
Reviewed July 30, 2013

A great place to bring the preschoolers and children. They can touch, feed and pet the animals. Plenty of domestic animals; pigs, lambs, goats, and some exotic llamas, camels, monkeys, turtles, and others. Something for everyone. A hay ride is lots of fun.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had been several times before with my older children who are now 12 & 10, so when I took my 3 year old I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. We arrived at opening around 10, we fed about 5 bottles of milk to the goats, which my daughter couldn't get enough of. We then headed to the tractor ride and got to see all the animals and we were able to feed them with the food we purchased. The highlight was Big Red coming over who was HUGE! Then we went into the parakeet/canary bird house with the Popsicle sticks of seed that was glued on there, we purchased all f this when we came in. This was my favorite and by far the most magical, the birds 2 and 3 at a time would land on your stick and peck at the seed. The were soft and gentle and never did me r my daughter feel scared. Have fun if you go!