“Not the Vienna Inn but...”

Maple Ave Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 202 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Globally influenced American cuisine in the heart of Vienna, VA.
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Popped in for lunch. Didn't have a reservation but got a seat. This is a small place with big aspirations. They had a "deal" $20 for 2 plates but the whole table must participate. That was too much food. Mussels were good and shrimp and grits were tasty but the grits had no 'grit'. Chicken sandwich was more bun than chicken. Fries were good, didn't live up to hype

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Maple Avenue Restaurant does deliver some tasty, quality food, but price and atmosphere reduce the rating pretty quickly. I imagine most of the really high ratings overlook the tiny, fishbowl style of the restaurant and the a la carte prices for every morsel of food. No bread or condiments are offered to allay hunger, and sitting in a table right in front of a glass door did not qualify as a dining experience on a weekend evening in my estimation. The apple salad was delicious, but for the $7 price, I could have made it at home with the same ingredients. My scallops were cooked beautifully but too salty for my palate and the ice cream added to the risotto cooled it down and masked the real flavor of the rice. High marks go for the service, and minimal waiting for food, but don't go there hungry. Perhaps a better choice for brunch/lunch?

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have been to Maple Avenue Restaurant several times and it is consistently excellent. Entrees are perfectly done, homey yet inventive, and the service is first-rate. Having the people who own the restaurant and cook the food mingling around regularly is a very nice touch. It is very small, but it lends to its cuisine. But, having said all that, you must, must, MUST try the chocolate dumplings for dessert. Quite simply, one of the best desserts I've ever had. The combination of dumpling, molten chocolate and home made vanilla ice cream is just "wrong" it's so good. Save room!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

my wife and i were walking the trail thru vienna va and stopped in for lunch not expecting a remarkable restauant !! it was !! we went back for dinner 2 weeks later only 8 tables-a great blending of international flavors a real delight

Reviewed January 30, 2013

First, this is a small restaurant on a busy street. Parking is a bit of a challenge, but there are spaces behind the restaurant. We had reservations for an early Saturday afternoon which meant we would be ordering from the brunch menu. The restaurant was full when we arrived, and then it did empty out at the end of our stay. There were small children dining in, and fortunately with the acoustics, they were well behaved. The three women I was with had eaten here before, and they always had great things to say about the place. We ordered poinsettia drinks (not bottomless since it was early) and mimosas, the panko chicken sandwich, truffled eggs and the veggie omelette. For the most part, it was all prepared, cooked and presented nicely. I wish there was a substitute for the potatoes or another side that could replace them. The cost of an omelette, potatoes and small salad is $14 which I think is a bit pricey, but I also realize things are fresh and wholesome in this restaurant.
One thing to mention is our waiter was very good, but he neglected to tell us that the okra was unavailable and this is what one at our table specifically wanted and thought about prior to her visit. So that was a let down. One, for it not be available, but also that the waiter didn't tell us at the start. Just a mishap, but it then took a few more minutes to decide on our order, and a few more minutes for the waiter to return. I will definitely recommend this restaurant, and I want to continue dining here to try things other than breakfast foods.