“I emphasize...get there early!”

Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Vienna
More attraction details
Owner description: The only national park dedicated to the performing arts, with spaces for indoor and outdoor performances.
N. Virginia
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“I emphasize...get there early!”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This facility is beautiful and sounds amazing. I really applaud the National Park service on this venue. If you like who is playing, you should go.

Tips:
1. Get over there early. I read tips about this and thought I had planned enough time. Wrong. Traffic backs up on the Dulles tollway and the road narrows quickly on the NPS property. You need TIME to get parked, walk to the venue, get your bags checked and find your seats. As opposed to another revue, I thought there were plenty of police directing traffic. Despite having a not-very-fun job, these guys were helpful and creative to keep things flowing. Thanks, guys.
2. As someone else said, it you like the performer, pay the little bit more for a seat versus the lawn. Besides having a better view and sound, you are protected from the rain which could ruin your experience.
3. The traffic issues will repeat on the way out. Perhaps bring some coffee, non-alcoholic drinks, water and good desserts and have a snack in the parking lot while you wait for things to thin out.
4. Also think about the Metro / bus option. It will be speedier than the parking options and you can just talk with your friends.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank NCR_Flyer

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Yo Yo Ma”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Disliked: Difficult to get out of car park
Liked: Great venue and atmosphere. Food is priced reasonably but did not sell tea! We are from UK! Make sure you bring adequate rainwear if you sit outside.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Karen S
Denton, Maryland
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Wonderful atmosphere”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Even though I now live a over an hour from Wolf Trap, I try to come at least once a season for a concert here. Sometimes we want to dance in the aisles to long time faves (John Prine or the Gipsy Kings), sometimes enjoy the classical with the National Symphony Orchestra, or sometimes discover someone new -- last night we heard Roderigo and Gabriella, described as "heavy metal salsa." It's always a wonderful atmosphere, people enjoying the natural surroundings and the music.

It is a hike from the parking lot to the show, though they do run golf carts. These days we always get tickets in doors because lawn seats are not fun in the rain. You can still take a picnic. If I lived closer I would wait for last minute lawn tickets based on the weather.

Either bolt for the parking lot before the encore, or plan to have dessert after the show. Traffic can be really frustrating when everyone leaves at once.

Loge seating catches evening breezes better than the orchestra, though there is obviously the greater distance. The sound is wonderful wherever you are.

1 Thank Eleanor W
Frederick
361 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 406 helpful votes
“I May Be Too Old”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Went to see Heart last night and it was a real mess getting into the parking areas (with plenty of cones narrowing the lanes but no traffic control at all) and then walking to the venue. I wanted to see this band because I had listened to them since they became popular in 1975. They started right on time and sang most if not all of their major hits so that was good. I found my ears being blasted from the beginning from our seats, about halfway back under the roofed area. As it got dark I needed to get up and it was difficult for me to see the many unlit steps leading out and to the rest area. Once there the noise level was dissipated and it sounded more like music so I remained there for the rest of their show. We beat a hasty exit and most of the traffic, thankfully. I wonder if "If it's too loud, you're too old" is now the case, although we saw KISS the week before at Jiffy Lube Live and I enjoyed every minute of that show. I guess it depends on where you sit.

Raleigh, North Carolina
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Sarah McLachlan”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Went to her concert here. This is now my favorite venue. Just a beautiful area and great seats, the sound was magnificent.