“Surpisingly Great!”

Vienna Wolf Trap Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed September 17, 2010

I arrived at this hotel using the transit system. I got off at the Vienna station and planned to walk but there was a cab there so i grabbed it at $7.65. Got to check in room (their front desk is not quite ready yet) got checked in and staff was very friendly with recommendations as to where to eat in the area (I'm a vegetarian). When I got to the room its not exactly what I expected for the price (under $80) it was actually very clean! The room had everything I needed. The breakfast was good as well bagels, coffee, juice, and fruit. Great free wi-fi. I recommend this hotel for anyone who wishes to save a few dollars visiting DC. I was worried about the location and the name of the hotel but the area is great, very suburban with lots of restaurants within walking distance.
I would like to single out Sam and Jeff for their fabulous customer service at this Motel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Vienna Wolf Trap Hotel

Reviewed August 14, 2010

I knew when i reserved this hotel for under $80 that I was getting five star but I was pleasantly surprised. My wife was unsure of the hotel especially when we initially pulled in. Good customer service at the front even though it doesn't seem like a front desk. The front desk even made free copies for the group ahead of us when they were thinking they would be charged. The only problem was they assigned us to a room that was still being cleaned so we drove around for awhile to acclimate ourselves to the area.
The rooms were clean but outdated in every way. We did get a fridge, cable, free WiFi, coffeemaker and coffee, extra blankets, cold but loud AC, comfortable place to sleep, alarm, and table with chair. I would bring my own towel as it seemed to be like sandpaper but no sight of bugs.
Location is within walking distance of Metro for a nice stroll over a mile or so. We drove and parked for under $5 and took the Metro which worked wonderfully. I also drove in to DC at night and we were close to 66. There is also plenty of eating places withing 2 miles and a few within walking distance but I don't recommend the Mexican place right next door. The breakfast was also good with Dunkin Donuts and Bagels in a hotel room turned into the breakfast room (odd but it works to keep prices down).
I would recommend staying here if you are on a budget and don't mind the Metro ride. I would like to stay downtown but the prices chased me to the burbs.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2010

We had a ground floor room that was updated nicely, included frig and microwave, and the sink outside of the bathroom. Plenty of room, and beds were nice. Compared to prices of other hotels in the area, this was a bargain. WiFi in room was great feature too. We often camp, but decided with the heat and humidity we would enjoy air-conditioning, which I'm glad we decided that way because it was hot. Street noise could have been loud if we didn't have the air-conditioning running all the time. Breakfast was donuts, bagels, juice, coffee, fruit -- adequate for us. No exercise room or spacious lobby or pool, but if you're looking for a place to sleep while seeing the sites in the DC area, this is nice. The Vienna Metro station is a bit far to walk if you are not used to walking. Our days included driving to our first site, then parking at a Metro station to take the train into DC for our second and third site of the day, then driving back to the hotel in the evening. Avoided rush-hour traffic.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2010

We had a car and family nearby, so we were able to get around fairly easy. It is close to everything you would want to do here in Vienna or in DC. One thing that bugged us was the fact that our room had mini blinds and not blackout curtains (all second floor rooms had mini blinds from what we could see). The other floors had curtains, so request the top floor or bottom floor if that is a concern. We could hear the traffic from the street, but our A/C drowned out that noise. Our room was clean, the beds were small. It is more like a full size bed than a queen even though we were told 2 double queen size beds. Having a microwave and mini-fridge was an unexpected bonus which we were very greatful for. Also the free wireless internet access. They did have one desktop computer in their tiny office/checkin area, so if you don't have your laptop, you may have to fight for time on their computer. All in all I can't complain too much. You get what you pay for and for the price, the accommodations are reasonable.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2009

I booked this hotel based on the fact that they were within "walking distance" to the metro station. We figured we could save on the hotel cost and just utilize the nearby train to get into D.C. and see the sights. Well, the walk to the station took about 30 minutes (about 1.3 miles...not exactly a "stroll"). Then the train was another 33 minutes to our stop on the Mall. So if you plan on booking here to save money, you better give yourself at least 2 hours commute time there and back. On our second day we tried driving to the metro station to save on the walk, but EVERY LOT was full/closed...so we ended up driving BACK to the hotel where our car would be secure and walked all the way back. That was incredibly frustrating. When we returned to the metro station very late that night we decided to just grab a taxi which was an $8 trip back to the hotel.

The hotel is also really a "motel". We stayed on the 3rd floor. It was clean, but the interior is very outdated. Our window had a huge crack in it that was patched with some kind of glue. The bed only had a single sheet and the bedspread (the kind that you know they don't wash after every guest), no extra blanket of any kind. So we had to turn the heat WAY up to sleep comfortably.

The service at the hotel was very nice and they were accommodating to our requests and helpful with driving directions, etc. They are in a nice commercial area so we were able to pick up some snacks and drinks for the hotel room at a local grocery store. There was a fridge and microwave in our room that was very clean.

The place isn't a fleabag, but we both agreed that next time we would probably just pay the extra money to stay in a nicer hotel within D.C. to avoid all that travel time.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2009

I was looking for a reasonable room for my family since I knew we'd be spending a lot of money in DC. This was one of the most reasonable places I found. I wasn't sure what to expect since previous reviews had been mixed. It's definitely not a luxury hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the hotel is old, but I was amazed at how clean it was given its age. The staff was very friendly & gave us directions to get to DC without getting on 66, which seemed to be congested no matter what time of day it was.

I wouldn't call the walk to the Metro station a stroll. I think it ended up being more than a mile, but we walked it the first day. If you get up early enough, you can park your car at the Metro station for less than $5, so I wish we had done that instead since it was dark when we returned. Still, we felt safe on the walk back. The second day we drove in to DC, but you need to get there early if you want to get a decent place to park and unless you park in a garage (for about $20), there are time limits on many of the parking areas, so you have to be careful. We took Maple all the way to the GW Parkway and had no trouble getting there at all, but we went after rush hour was over.

Lots of good places to eat around the hotel. We ate at the Mexican restaurant next door. It was awesome! The continental breakfast (bagels, donuts & fruit) was good enough for me. I don't eat much for breakfast anyway.

The A/C in the room was noisy, but it sure did work well! I always take ear plugs everywhere I go, so I didn't have any trouble sleeping through the noise. The beds were comfortable. We didn't encounter any questionable people at the hotel. Seemed like everyone was tourists like we were. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2009

This hotel was a great value in the DC area. I gave it four stars because it is such a great value, not because it is luxurious. It is in a safe location with everything you need close by (restaurants, grocery, shopping). The room was clean and the amenities were adequate. This is not a luxury hotel but you don't pay a luxury price either. It is basic lodging at a great price and I will definitely stay there again on my next trip. The staff was very pleasant and the office had a computer and printer for guest use. It also has wireless internet access. An older review mentioned blinds, my room had curtains and I didn't see any rooms with blinds. The free breakfast was lacking with only donuts and bagels so don't count on that as a meal in the morning. If you need basic, clean, and safe lodging in a very good location (4 miles to Tyson's Corner) I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank bustra
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vienna
Quality Inn Tysons Corner
Embassy Suites by Hilton Tysons Corner
Best Western Fairfax
Best Western Fairfax
#9 of 21 in Fairfax

Been to Vienna Wolf Trap Hotel? Share your experiences!