“For your Dollar - a spacious clean room”

Dollar Inn Hot Springs
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Hot Springs
Palm Springs, CA
“For your Dollar - a spacious clean room”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here late August 2013 for two nights. I had been traveling for the past 4 months and had stayed in a number of motels during that time, so I had plenty to compare against. I had shopped several booking companies (took an extra 5 minutes) and consequently found a great price for two nights stay.

The room was very clean. That is always the first thing that I look for and was not disappointed. I was so happy that there WAS NOT an overbearing smell of room freshener that I had encountered in so many other motels--and it wasn't required.

Although the decor was a bit dated, the room was attractive, with a comfy bed and softer pillows. It was large and had both a small refrigerator and a microwave. There were plenty of towels which is sometimes not the case.

Breakfast was cereal, muffins, juice, coffee. Nothing extravagant, but there is a great diner a minute away down the road, so if you're looking for a full breakfast, it's available nearby. But honestly, for the price, the breakfast provided seemed fine.

The owner was very friendly and seemed genuinely interested in making my Hot Springs visit a good experience. I would definitely stay here again when I'm in the area. I thought it was a very good value for my money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank S0CalRVer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Pawnee, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is just a basic roadside motel. It was very clean and the room was big. Bathroom had just a shower no tub. It was OK for one night but for $90 I was unimpressed. Breakfast was very lacking also. Hot Springs is a really neat place though. Wish we could have stayed longer and explored the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sedgefield
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed there for one night during August 2013. There were no surprises. Similar to a thousand other motels in America, nothing better and nothing worse. Everything was clean. The beds were reasonably comfortable. The microwave was giving a bit of trouble but we managed in the end. The motel is on the corner of the main street with one block of rooms on the inside of the corner and the other block on the outside. We were in the latter. This was quite nice as we had some open areas across from us. Did not feel like inside the town at all. The breakfast was the usual cereals, muffins and coffee. Considering what we paid I am happy to recommend this place.

Room Tip: The rooms across the street from the office are nicer.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Oregon
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed here for three nights leading up to the Sturgis motorcycle rally in August 2013. The owner is very nice and tries hard to be helpful. They left rags on the seat of our Harley every morning to dry the bike off from the overnight storms that came through.

The room was clean and well maintained. We lucked in to a King suite that was very large. I really didn't like the mattress much, but then I wasn't intending to live here.

The AC worked well as did all the plumbing and we never ran out of hot water.

The fridge was a little small but at least it was there and worked. When we travel on our bike we need to freeze a few bottles of water for the next day because we're out in the hot sun for hours at a time. "Biker friendly" motels need to get on board with this and think about a little larger reefers. Lots of people travelling on Harleys these days!

The breakfast was not great (coffee was really bad) and we ended up going to restaurants the last two days.

We had an end room and nobody on the other side the first two nights so the nights were pretty quiet. We live in the country so we're used to quiet and this was a big plus.

We did think the price was a little high and the cancellation policy, which requires payment for 1 night even if cancelled immediately, wasn't disclosed until after the reservation was made.

We booked through one of the online booking companies and don't know if maybe the cancellation policy "oversight" was on their end?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Crescent City, California
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We booked through Priceline. This hotel was rated 2 stars. It really is an average 1 star place. It is old. The breakfast was very minimal. The best thing about the place is the couple that run it. They are very nice and helpful. I think I would have been more satisfied if I hadn't expected a two star place. So if you want a one star hotel with a great staff you will be happy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was very impressed with the service at the Dollar Inn, I originally planned on only staying 5 nights but ended up having car trouble which caused me to stay an extra three nights. The owners were very helpful and offered to drive me to restaurants or grocery stores for lunch and dinner and gave me the extra three nights stay at the original price of $49 even though the price went up after Memorial Day.
The motel was only minutes away from Wind Cave National Park so I made several trips there and it was close to all of the attractions in Hot Springs.
The rooms (I ended up staying in two) were very clean and the mattresses were very comfortable. I would most definitely stay with them the next time that I am in Hot Springs though hopefully next time my car won't break down!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Morrison, Colorado
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Don't let the outside deceive you. The rooms are clean and very well kept not bad for the price. The bathroom is small, but the space in the rest of the room makes up for it. The fridge and the microwave were very clean and worked well....no problems. The breakfast is just like what the others say it's just doughnut holes with some kind of beans..nothing else. The staff were very nice and helpful with ideas about what to do in and around the area. Nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family