“Must be near a cattle feed lot...”

Angostura Recreation Area
Ranked #6 of 18 things to do in Hot Springs
Grants Pass, OR
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Must be near a cattle feed lot...”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed one night in Cheyenne campground at the end of June, 2013. Inundated by house flies, and to make it worse the unmistakable stench of a (probably) near-by cattle feed-lot wafted over the area every time the breeze off the lake let up. Unless you are a die-hard lake-lover, camp elsewhere.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank kupa

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just stopped in”
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I took a side trip while on a family vacation and we stumbled on this place. We only took a drive though to see the multiple beach and camping sites. Then we stopped at what I believe is the main beach. The water looked great, the sand was great. The place looks well maintained. We both agreed we will be making the 9 hour drive to return here with our fishing and camping gear.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Chadawicka
Minnesota
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 181 helpful votes
“Great water attraction”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We day tripped here from the Black Hills. It's hotter here and more like a desert (maybe it is???). The reservoir is huge and really quite scenic from the overlook we drove up to. We spent the day at the swim beach near the Cascade Campground. A few days prior to the 4th of July and the place was very empty considering the large number of campsites available and the great boating opportunities.
Maybe there were 20 of us scattered along the long beach area. The water was nice. The state web site said "clear" water but I didn't think it was clear. The beach is very sandy but about waist deep or so there is a little bit of weed growth on the bottom. I grew up as a lake swimmer who detests weeds, so this caused me to jump around a little, but I realize I'm just being a baby. The bathhouse was very nice - changing area, toilets and outdoor showers to rinse off the sand.
We stopped by the beach near the marina which seemed to have more activity. Boats had pulled in and there was large children's group there with adults. There is a concession stand on the beach that is open on weekends but on this day it was being used by people as a place to hang out (covered deck). I can't think of a better way - it felt very redneck. Hop on your tube with a can of beer and toss your cigarette in the lake. We will go back but know we will choose the other swim beach as our destination.
All the campgrounds along the lake were sparsely filled (I think there are a total of 4 campground areas). I did overhear one of the rangers say a campground was full for the weekend (The 4th of July), but other campgrounds still had spots. There is little shade for the majority of sites, but it you are coming for the lake experience I don't think that's important and it is the area. The sites seemed very nice, level and many had electric and water. I wouldn't mind camping there (if it were full of campers it might be a very different experience).
For all the years I've been to the Black Hills and how much I love hanging on the beach, I can't believe this is our first time venturing down here. Very fun, close to Hot Springs. Bring your swim toys, and lots of sunscreen!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank JCJake
Keystone, South Dakota
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Fishing and Awesome Campsites”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We fish here quite often and wouldn't think about going to another lake. There are so many species of fish and you can usually get something to bite that we have yet to go home empty handed.
We had never camped here but thought we'd give that a try. It was great. It was during the week, so not crowded or noisy. The campsite was clean, level and the bathhouse was spotless! The campsite hosts were friendly and helpful. We will be going back again to enjoy the sites and the fishing!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Kim Z
Hot Springs, South Dakota
“OMG”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is one of my favorite places to camp, fish, boat or just get away for the day to unwind. The campgroud host are wonderful they go over and above to make your stay the most enjoyable. I camp there at least 5 times a year.. Be sure to make reservations ahead of time if you need to camp. 3 months are advised

Visited March 2013