“Good food!”

Ranked #1 of 29 Restaurants in Hot Springs
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Woolly's Grill and Cellar is located in the Southern Black Hills in Hot Springs, SD, Woolly's is a family owned and operated restaurant, coffee bar, and lounge. We specialize in steaks and grilled foods but also serve up a great variety of fresh dishes! Woolly's caters to just about everyone, from families and couples all the way up to travel busses and special events!
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had steaks and they were great! Service was good and the staff was friendly and helpful. Good wine and beer selections. We were full after dinner, but took cheesecake back to the hotel for later and it was delicious, too!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We decided to try Woolly's based on a recommendation from our hotel. We were promptly greeted and seated, but then asked about drinks by two different servers. A third person delivered our drinks. Our server who took our order came back to the table once, but did not deliver our food. My son's streak order was wrong. After we waited what seemed to be at least 40 minutes for our meal, my concern was how long would it be before my son would get the proper steak he had ordered. While I am guessing it might have been an assistant manager who came by to try and rectify the situation, she never introduced herself. (She offered the error steak, a sirloin, in place of the filet, for the same price. My son pointed out the sirloin was $2 dollars cheaper than the filet). I never expect anything when I dine out, but once we had to wait for an error to be corrected, I would have thought perhaps a discount might have been applied to the bill, unfortunately there was none. Other than the error on my son's meal, the streaks were very good. I would have given this steakhouse more than three stars, but it was the manner in which the error steak was handled and the confusion of service.

2  Thank Jim P
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have no idea how this place has such good reviews. I say they have an identity crisis because they want to be a bar, coffee bar, family restaurant, & steakhouse all in one and from my experience they are failing miserably on all fronts. With a name like Woolly's & being next to the Mammoth center, I expected a western/steakhouse theme - but it was all over the place with coffee decor, cows, geckos, etc. Plus, there was a weird golf theme for several of the good items (sandwiches called boogeys, eagle, double eagle, etc). I had the same experience as Sandra E below - the restaurant was at less than 1/2 capacity and we had a 20minute wait. 2 other families/groups gave up and left. A young kid was trying to be the host, bus boy, roll silverware, etc and he was clearly unable to keep up with it all. He was too preoccupied with controlling the clipboard of names than greeting people and seating people promptly. I can't imagine they could keep up in the peak of tourist season. The food we had was ok I guess - moz sticks were definitely frozen & fried. I had a grilled chicken sandwich and my husband the breaded chicken sandwich. A table next to me got a mexican dish (burrito of some kind) and it looked awful and the wife got a steak, took one bite, & asked for ketchup. Their desserts look like they are bought frozen & thawed. I heard a waitress asked the host if he thought one was still ok to serve - he looked at it for a minute and said probably. Eww....
One a side note - the town of Hot Springs was quite disappointing and depressing. Clearly no one has pride in the town and money generated from tourists isn't being poured back into the city. Garbage & dog crap everywhere on the riverwalk, 1/2 of the town is boarded up or for sale & empty, peeling paint & crumbling sidewalks, etc. I am guessing the good reviews for Woolly's is because it is the best of the worst of what the town has to offer. We stayed one night in Hot Springs during our 5 days in the Black Hills to be closer to Wind Cave and I wouldn't go back. Definitely the worst stop on the trip.

2  Thank kris4913
NoSchro, Guest Relations Manager at Woolly's Grill and Cellar, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for the review of our restaurant! We appreciate the feedback you have provided us and helping our restaurant develop to better serve it's customers.

As far as seating goes upstairs, it is a banquet facility. It is a formal setting for club members and large groups. We live in a small town USA. There aren't any facilities here to accommodate large groups and events; thus we are two different restaurants in one. We do need to be a little bit of everything to accommodate a small town market. We've been in this restaurant business for seven years and have evolved from a drive-thru coffee business to the steakhouse of today. I supposed the local people know and appreciate the fact as to where we started and where we are today. They have continued to follow us every step of the way. We are proud of our town and the people who live here and continue to promote economic development to help our small community survive.

We strive on customer service as our priority. From time to time as in any business, you may have an off night and that was this one where 23 tables came in at the same time. Again, no excuses, we apologize and continue to work towards the best customer service possible. Thank you for the review and helping us do a better job in meeting the needs of our guests. We hope the next time you are in the area you will try us again! We look forward to the opportunity of exceeding your expectations.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had never been to Hot Springs before and this restaurant was recommended by the RV park we were staying at. We arrived at 7:15pm and, while the lights were on in the upstairs, it was closed to the public. Their downstairs "cafe" type area was serving dinner. There were many empty tables but we were told there would be a 20-25 minute wait. When we asked about eating in the upstairs dining room, we were told that is a "members only" dining area. Seemed odd but we went dutifully into the coffee bar area and waited 25 minutes to be seated. While there, no one asked if we would like a beverage or paid any attention to us. A group of 4 who were also waiting, were sitting at the bar and were unable to get any service as well. When we were finally seated, the young man who waited on us was very personable and helpful. We both had steak dinners. The steak was very good, the green beans were much too salty and the potatoes were lukewarm. While we liked the food, we felt the service was lacking. When there are numerous empty tables and booths and you still have to wait close to 30 minutes to be seated there is clearly something askew. We would not return.

2  Thank Sandra E

Per your comments for Woolly's dated 6/13, yes we have to admit there was a bottleneck for seating on that Thursday evening. We had newer staff and we were missing our bus person. But, that being said we truly apologize for any inconvenience this caused. We certainly gave your table prompt attention once seated and feel we have recently corrected our seating situation.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

On our first night in Hot Springs, we tried Woolly's..Then for the next 3 nights we returned for another fabulous meal.Great service, excellent food, a variety of choices, good helpings, and refreshingly reasonable prices! Can't sayenough good things about this dining establishment.

1  Thank Mary K
NoSchro, Guest Relations Manager at Woolly's Grill and Cellar, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Hello Mary, thank you for eating at our restaurant and for taking the time to review it on TripAdvisor! We are so happy to hear you enjoyed our restaurant enough the first time to be "regulars" during the rest of your stay! It was our pleasure to have you dine with us, whenever you find yourself in the area again we'd love if you stopped in.

Thanks again for the excellent review!!