“fantastic”

The Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary
Ranked #2 of 19 things to do in Hot Springs
More attraction details
Owner description: This 11,000-acre ranch breeds wild horses, letting them run free and unbroken.
Reviewed July 18, 2010

we were there 5 years ago and went back and took our granddaughter she loved it she is ten. We missed being able to pet the horses as we did 5 years ago but it was still something everyone should go and see if they are in that part of south Dakota we came from california. and it was AUSUME. DR

Reviewed July 13, 2010

My 12 year old son & I booked the adventure tour with the Wild Horse Sanctuary. It was not inexpensive -- but the day was well worth it. (A side note -- you are given a form for your tax contribution).

We were greeted by friendly staff members upon arrival. There are chicken coops, a grumpy cat, and mares and their foals at the tourist center -- to keep you busy before your departure.

We were lucky enough to have Dayton Hyde (the founder) to give us our private tour of the sanctuary. We rode out in his 4 wheel drive truck & proceeded on our tour. The landscape is amazing enough -- but the real attraction laid ahead. We saw mule deer, white tailed deer, prairie dogs, & rabbits. Mr Hyde was so knowledgeable about all the fauna we encountered -- and there is a lot of it.

Ok -- then you meet the wild horses. They are magnificent. We came across mulitple colonies of the horses. they were always curious when they heard our vehicle and when they saw Mr. Hyde -- they ventured over. Hoping for some grain -- which he provided them.

The drive is amazing and scary at times. We forded a river, drove up and down steep mountainsides. And believe me -- these roads have never seen a paver!!

We enjoyed a picnic lunch (chicken or ribeye biscuits), chips, homemade chocolate cookies. Cold drinks were also provided.

I would highly recommend visiting this fabulous facility -- these wild horses are so lucky to have found a home here.

2  Thank ncyankee61
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Most visitors do the 2 hour tour on a mini-bus. From feedback I read, you get a generic expereience with mixed reviews on how close you get to the horses. My 11 year old daughter loves horses so we upgraded to the 3 hour personal tour where it was just the three people in my family and a guide in a SUV. We had an amazing time seeing this entire historic ranch. Mark, our guide, had taught ranch management at the local college and knew every plant, animal, location and horse on the property. As far as seeing the horses, we were able to drive off the roads and wander right into the herds so they were right up to our windows. This tour is more expesnive but every dollar goes right back into the care of the horses and facility so we didn't blink an eye.

4  Thank TexasTraveller56
Reviewed June 29, 2010

you'll like this. we dont and didnt. it is a lovely place and the horses are beautiful but the bus ride and the narrative get old quick. There is great history in the area and they shot a movie there too (hidalgo) but all in all i just thought it was a waste of half a day and a couple hundred dollars.

3  Thank busterthebronco
Reviewed June 5, 2010

My 13yr old and I did this trip. We were on a bus and it was a little difficult to get pictures and view the horses at times. The tour took longer than it was supposed to which can be a problem for some. Our guide was interesting but at times went on to long (thus the late tour) and it was disappointing to find the gift shop closed for the day upon returning. I'm glad I did it, but improvements could be made as this is fairly pricey.

1  Thank GRtravel