“Fun afternoon”

Evans Plunge Mineral Springs
Ranked #3 of 18 things to do in Hot Springs
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The world's largest natural warm water indoor swimming pool. *NOT A HOT WATER SPRING* The town is named Hot Springs, but Evans Plunge Mineral Springs itself has never claimed to be any hotter than it is, which is consistently 87 degrees year-round, the Lakota called it "Minnekahta" meaning "warm water." 5,000 gallons of water flow from the mineral springs every hour, completely refreshing the water in the pool numerous times every day. Evans Plunge Mineral Springs opened in 1890 and is the oldest attraction in the Black Hills. Currently owned & operated by the City of Hot Springs, Evans Plunge is proud to be open year round and offers both an indoor and an outdoor pool, plus a health club, which is included with admission!
Southern California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Fun afternoon”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Warm mineral water and several water slides. Some extreme and some mild. Flotation devices and tarzan swings. No family locker room, but they accomodated me and my son and let us through the office. Come in suits so you don't need to change and bring a towel or they will charge you $2.00 extra for each towel.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank 2fromcali

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“A little nippy but good place to tire out kids”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Luckily before we went, I asked our hotel clerk about this place and she warned me this is not a true "water park" like some guests in bigger cities are used to. Knowing it's not an actual water park kept my expectations in check and for what it is, it's a fun time! It's a couple of slides, a swing rope, volleyball area, rings and main pool areas. We also used the "health club" facilities which is just a hot tub and steam room, neither special enough to talk about and not worth the extra money.
I wish their advertisement (brochure in the hotel lobby) would clarify they are NOT a hot springs pool before you go but at least they do specify that at the front desk before you pay. The pool is IN Hot Springs, and they talk about "warm waters" but if you have visited a real hot springs pool where it's toasty warm, please note that this is not the same type of pool. It's indeed a little nippy folks! My kids didn't care though and they are teens so it's fine. I did notice several toddlers and little ones shivering a bit, so just be prepared for this aspect. Overall, it was a fun place to get rid of the energy being cooped up in a car all day.

Visited July 2012
Golden, Colorado
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Natural Springs”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Wow what a blast. So much stuff to do inside. Unique pool with real river rock on the bottom. The kids will love this place.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank victoria p
Genoa, Illinois
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“My kids loved this place!”
Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

It was fun, the chemical free indoor water park and outdoor slide and pool was neat. I wasn't as thrilled with the place, but my kids LOVED IT. I guess when you compare it to days of hiking, cave tours, national monuments, etc, it would likely be their best day!

Winnipeg, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“We had a slip sliding blast!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We are bikers...we were hot in 109 degree riding weather, we were not sure if this was a great idea to visit the Hot Springs. My husband had never been to a hot spring before so we wanted to try it out. It was so surprisingly cool and refreshing, with lots of stuff going on in the pool.

Kids of all ages were enjoying this place. Older kids were having a riot on the ropes, some of the guys were really good! Kids of all ages enjoyed the water slides, you use mats on them. Babies were going down the slides with parents. We went down the slides, one I screamed on, and thanked God that it was a quick slide. Younger children encouraged me to go down it with," it is fun, go!". Yikes!
They offer spa treatments for just a few dollars more, we didn't do those we just wanted WATER, Your bracelet gets you in and out for the day! Don't lock up what you need for the day unless you want to pay over and over to get it in and out of you locker....just lock up what you wont be needing. Some people just brought their stuff with them into the pool area. That may just work....

We ate across the street after at the diner for lunch. The lunch was delicious, I would have no problem promoting to eat anything off this menu. You wont be disappointed in the taste, the size, or the price. You get the salad bar for a couple of extra bucks. Not the boring hot springs I went to in Banff Alberta as a kid let me tell ya! LOL Evans Plunge makes for a really fun day!

Visited July 2012