“Really Terrific place!”

Baymont Inn & Suites Hot Springs
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Hot Springs
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was the best of the motels I stayed at on a recent trip. My room was exceptionally clean and comfortable: bright and well-equipped. The lady at check-in was friendly and helpful. Breakfast included a generous and varied selection -- I liked the yogurt on offer along with the cereal, but here were waffles and muffins and more for those in search of something more substantial. The person tending the breakfast room was full of smiles and made sure everything was properly stocked. Like the rest of this motel, everything was spotlessly clean. I don't understand some of the negative rooms on here: I was really happy with everything and recommend this motel highly!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
deannaatbestwestern, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Hot Springs, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I am happy your stay here was a pleasant one. We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

When I arrived and wanted to check in a lady came out from the back and acted like I was a bother... After checking in I walked down the hall and noticed some rooms had no smoking signs on the door and some did not. When I opened my room it smelled incredibly stale- like someone had just smoked a carton of cigarettes in there.. I went back to the desk and asked politely if there was any way I could be changed to one of the rooms with a non smoking sign.. I was told allllllll of the rooms are non smoking. The front desk person then went in back and came out with a can of smoke eliminating spray and told me to spray it in my room.. Unbelievable. The next morning I was looking forward to a hot shower to cleanse myself of the awful smells... But I shouldn't have been surprised when there was no hot water. It was miserable and not somewhere I would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013
deannaatbestwestern, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Hot Springs, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

We are now a non-smoking facility. We have recently converted to a non-smoking facility. I am sorry if we were not able to relocate you to another room. Perhaps we may have been booked and therefore not able to move you rooms. I am sorry for the service you received..

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I had a horrible time booking reservations at this hotel. The receptionist was unable to figure out how to book the reservation. She put me on hold and then swore at me! I should have just hung up but it was the reserved hotel for a wedding we were attending. After I finally booked the rooms, we decided 24 hours prior to the wedding to just drive home. I called to cancel and they had no record of the booking! I insisted they make sure the reservation was cancelled and they assured this was the case. Tonight I see my credit card was debited for staying there. I will be on the phone first thing to object. Don't know how the hotel actually is but their service and reliability is terrible.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

I am sorry about the service. We have had several new people over the past few months. Thank you for your comments. I will use them to ensure this does not happen again.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding, this was the hotel booked by the couple for guests. The room was ok, the beds were fine, nice tv, and there was a small microwave and fridge. However, the AC didn't work well and the sink/mirror were in the room. I've stayed at other Best Westerns in the past and this one is definitely in need of an update. The bathroom was pretty run down, and the breakfast in the morning was not impressive. There were no hot options, though someone was cooking frozen sausages and dehydrated eggs on a skillet. Not very appealing. I have stayed at much nicer Best Westerns. Until this one gets an update, I'd look elsewhere. Also, the "wedding" rate was $80 + tax, which seemed high to me for what we got.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. . Our eggs are fresh eggs that are scrambled. Scrambled eggs and sausage are required at some hotels and ours is not one of them, however we do serve them on occasion to better give our guests more hot item choices. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay here.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We cannot comment on the Sundowner's room quality, but we can comment on the weekend staff member called "Sandy"
We were "Sandyized" at the BW Sundowner in Hot Springs, South Dakota!!!!!! Let us explain!!! Upon arrival at the BW Sundowner at about 5:30 PM, no one was at the check-in counter so we had to ring the bell for service which we did and, when Sandy finally came to the desk, she asked in a gruff voice "What do you want?" We indicated that we had a reservation and then checked in. Upon giving us a room we found out that we were assigned a room UPSTAIRS. We told Sandy that we had requested a ground floor room and that it was especially important since one of us had a sprained ankle and could not negotiate the stairs. We asked if there was an elevator available and reply was "NO!!!" When we had bookings with Best Western in the past and no ground floor rooms were available, elevators were ALWAYS available to easily access upstairs rooms. In this case we were assigned a room that we could not use and chose to look for a room else ware. Upon finding a room down the street, I tried to return the keys and be released from an UPSTAIRS room at the BW Sundowner given that we had not yet entered the room. We were told by Sandy that it was too late to cancel our reservation because all cancellations needed to be done before 4:30 PM and we would be charged for the room! We told her that we understood the cancellation and room request policies, but they chose to ignore our ground floor room request and assign us to an UPSTAIRS room which we could not get to because of sprained ankle. At this point Sandy became quite indignant and would not budge from her conviction that we were paying for the room no matter what. I called Best Western booking to see if they could resolve this absolutely unbelievable situation. After two attempts they were unable to resolve the impasse. At that point I decided to leave and told Sandy that since we were compelled to pay for the room, I would be back in the morning to check out without staying in the room. Sandy seemed disappointed that I was not going to leave the keys with her which indicated to me that she was expecting the keys so she could rent the room to someone else. During this discussion another prospective customer had enter the motel and was waiting for our discussion to end. As I was about to leave, I asked the gentleman if he was looking for a room and he replied, "Yes!" I told him this motel is full, but if he would wait a second, I could assure him a room. Since I was about to lose almost a $100, I thought I should cut my loses by subletting the room to this gentleman for $50 which he agreed to. I gave him the keys and he gave me $50. Then Sandy started to check the gentleman in!!!!! I could not believe she was checking him into my room that I had just sublet. I asked if she was going to charge the other gentleman and she replied, " Yes!" Then I asked if I was also being charged and she replied "No" since I will not being staying in the room!!!!! I could not believe what I just heard!!! I gave the $50 back to the gentleman and left!!! The room fee had been initially charged to my credit card but subsequently removed; however an additional $25 from the Sundowner was charged to our credit card and still pending at this writing. We are positive that we will not return to the Sundowner and it is highly likely we will never stay in Hot Springs, SD again due to this sordid BW episode and an equally bizarre set of events at the Woolly Restaurant!!!!!!

Room Tip: Look at the room before you register!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
deannaatbestwestern, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Hot Springs, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

We are sorry we were not able to accommodate your request. Your reservation was booked online through the internet on our corporate site. Your reservation was for two queens upstairs. Reservation requests are not guaranteed. It states that online when you book. We always try to honor guest's requests. However, we were completely sold out months prior to your reservation due to the fact that we had a wedding, and a family reunion that were booked 1 year in advance. Upon your arrival you were informed we could not honor your request. You chose to sell your room to another gentleman for 50.00. The gentleman that took your upstairs room was charged for the room. You were never charged for the room. We could have charged you for the room being that the room was not canceled by 4 p.m. that our cancellation policy states. It was not Sandy's error or our lack of service at this point. We simply had no rooms to move you too. We are very sorry your wife sprang her ankle and was not able to get upstairs. We would have loved to have you both but we simply had nowhere to move you too being that we were sold out. Reservations are cancelable in most cases if you notify us in advance. Our hotel ammenities and information is also listed on our site for your review.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

What a great little inn next to an incredible American scientific experience. We picked this hotel after a long and wonderful drive through the "needles" of the Black Hills. We were very excited about the Mammoth Site and Ice age fossils. All of the staff was great. Very genuine and friendly. We got a fantastic recommendation to have dinner at Woolly's Western Grill. I had a smoked rib-eye steak that was one of the best ever. They make several kinds of ice cream and pie fresh every day. A fantastic hotel to start or finish a loop through the Black Hills !!!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay here in the Black Hills. We hope to see you back again soon. Have a great one.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed here on night. Room was clean, had all amenities incl indoor pool. Staff was very friendly and attentive to our needs. Nice hot breakfast the next day. Used the laundry facilities which were clean and reasonably priced for a hotel. Cheaper than some hotels we have stayed at in the past. Housekeeping staff was a little rough looking. Rooms were cleaned well. No issues with the internet. Close to amenities of downtown within walking distance. We would stay here again . I am a clean and bed bug freak and we had no concerns whatsoever. Would recommend highly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your comments. We are happy your stay was nice. We hope to see you back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hot Springs
Dollar Inn Hot Springs
Dollar Inn Hot Springs
#6 of 9 in Hot Springs
Comfort Inn & Suites Custer

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Hot Springs? Share your experiences!