“Not too clean”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Hot Springs
Minnesota
“Not too clean”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Not a big fan of this place! Our room wasn't that clean. We used the hide a bed couch and under it there was a bunch of popcorn, there were candy wrappers on the window ledge...just not gone over very well. We went down for some breakfast, and it was almost entirely gone and cleaned up over a half hour before breakfast was supposed to be done. There was a bowl of oranges and a bin with some cereal. No milk even for the cereal. Then we were in our room and housekeeping just opens the door to come in. No knock. We were finishing packing up and in she just flew the door open to come in! We told here we were almost done, and she politely said "Okay", for the record, we still had an hour till checkout. So, I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
deannaatbestwestern, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Hot Springs, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
I am really sorry about the the short comings on our part. I have hired quite a few new people here over the summer and they missed the mark on that. Thanks for your comments. Breakfast is always closed at nine thirty.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Kimball, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This review goes out to all people of color and ethnic backrounds that are not WASP. You might get a cold shoulder and not even a hello. This might be a clue that you should turn around and find friendlier accomadations. Use cash at this hotel as my card # was stolen and used the day I arrived. My room was not cleaned and my luggage bag was rifeled through and items are missing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am sorry you feel as though we stole something from you. We have never had anything stolen from here reported to us by a guest or employee as long as I have been here. I have been here for almost two years. I am not going to stoop to an unprofessional level and say things about yourself as you did myself or my staff. I spoke to you after you accused my housekeepers, my desk clerks, and myself of stealing something from your bags and or your credit card. Not to say that someone or sometime something could not happen, people are people and you can't always prevent stolen items. You could have stored you items here in our safe if your were concerned about them. Free of charge. Many people leave expensive items at home for safe keeping. However my desk clerks are the only ones on duty so it is impossible for them to have taken the items between the times you say they would have. My housekeepers have turned in I-pads, smart phones, camera's and other items that were worth much more. I myself mailed the items back to the guest. I don't steal and resent the fact that you accused me of stealing from you. I wish you luck in finding some resolution to the theft. Perhaps you found the missing item that you claimed was stolen in your items upon your return and I hope you called the credit card compamy and police about your card and found the thief whom took the items as I suggested to you.
seattle, wa
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Hot Springs is an inexpensive choice for an overnight when touring the Black Hills. You get what you pay for though, as this two story Best Western (no elevator) has definitely seen better days. It's OK for one night -- but when we thought we might get stranded here for a second night (due to thunderstorms not mixing well with our motorcycle) -- we were dreading it. It's clean enough. The beds are comfortable-ish. The bathroom is barely bigger then a closet. Wi-fi is good once you get the correct password. TV is fine. The walls are thin, so pack your ear plugs. We had no problems with the staff: Arlene (the afternoon clerk) kindly managed our early check-in request. The evening clerk (who others have complained about) was fine once we gave her a little love. The early AM clerk was very helpful when we locked ourselves out. We left by 6 AM to beat the rain and crowds to Rushmore, a great strategy, as we were one of the first vehicles to arrive. We won't stay here again but will try some other town (maybe Spearfish?) next time.

Room Tip: Apparently some rooms have been converted from smoking to non-smoking, so I recommend avoiding those...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them.
Left of Center
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We found many black hairs in the shower (And many long black hairs and my husband has no hair, and he was the first one to use the shower ) and some broken crayons. And a leftover ring. It's like it was never touched after someone left. Close to attractions and a few places to eat. Just know most dining options close early. ;)

• Stayed July 2013
deannaatbestwestern, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Hot Springs, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
I am so sorry about the hair in the tub. I have had some new staff in the housekeeping department. I have re-trianed the staff on cleanliness and held a meeting with all housekeepers to prevent this in the future. Thank you for your comments.
Billerica, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have never written a review before but found the attitude of the front desk person "Sandy" and others so outrageously bad that I felt compelled to write.
When my room key did not work, I asked Sandy to reprogram the key. She went into a huff and said that the problem was mine and she did not want to reprogram the key unless my room mate was with me. I said my room mate was unavailable and I needed to get into my room. She huffed and puffed and reprogramed my key. When I politely commented that I would not stay at the facility again due to her attitude, she said "good".
When I got into my room there were no towels, so I called down to the front desk to get some. Someone came up with towels, knocked on the door and said "here are the towels for your room" in a very kurt way with, with no apology, The person acted as if I was putting them out by asking for towels.
I recommend that you do not stay at this facility due to the defective key system and the front desk's attitude.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
I would like to apologize for the staff rudeness and lack of service. I have taken action against this person for her lack of service and poor attitude. Thank you for letting me know.
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had trouble with the password they gave me to log onto my computer, as I went downstairs to ask for assistance, she finally told me it was the wrong password and gave me another key envelope and left.
The morning clerk was fine as I checked out as he was friendly. The older female clerk needs to find another job not dealing with people.
The continental breakfast was normal, but not enough seating, so sat outside in the nice weather. The tv was ok, just wish it was on an open table so you could move it to watch as you are on the desk working. I've had sliding shelves that made it so you could pull out the TVs.
Next stay in Hot Springs, I'll try another motel, as this was a lot of money for no more than motel 6.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
On behalf of our team i would like to apologize for the rude night clerk. I appreciate your feedback. I will take your comments and re-train my staff. Thank you.
Seattle
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Dingy, dark, uninviting. Beds were extremely uncomfortable. Bathrooms were noisy and bright. Air conditioning was loud. Breakfast was a zoo with people all over the place and the staff was disorganized and slow. Check-in was unfriendly and slow. When we checked out, the desk person apologized for the bed saying many of the customers were complaining about the same thing. (I can't understand all the raving reviews....was this the same hotel?)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FreqravelerSteve
deannaatbestwestern, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Hot Springs, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. If you could please give me more information on your stay so that I may address the issues. I attempted to look at your reservation and we do not have anyone under your name. Please contact me so that I may address your concerns. Thank you for your comments.,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hot Springs
Dollar Inn Hot Springs
Dollar Inn Hot Springs
#7 of 9 in Hot Springs
Holiday Inn Express Custer

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Hot Springs? Share your experiences!