“Relive One of the Early Civil War Battles”

Wilson's Creek National Battlefield
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Republic
Houston, Texas
155 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 374 helpful votes
“Relive One of the Early Civil War Battles”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Wilson’s Creek commemorates an important civil war battle fought between troops led by Confederate General Benjamin McCulloch and Union General Nathaniel Lyon. Located just southwest of Springfield, Missouri, it preserves the battlefield and includes a visitor’s center and an auto- tour loop that takes tourists to the major points along the battlefield.

Wilson’s Creek is much like other National Battlefield sites in most ways. Tourists will likely start off at the Visitor’s Center where they can view a short, educational film about the battle, view some exhibits, visit the library, and buy a few souvenirs in the gift shop. When I visited with the family, we spent some time in the book store and viewing other things, plus devoted a substantial amount of time to the library where we attempted to look up ancestors who may have fought in this battle.

This battlefield is great for students of history and especially for Civil War buffs. I found it nice, but not necessarily anything amazing. I have been to other battlefields where I felt a greater sense of awe and inspiration. I didn’t get that feeling at Wilson’s Creek, even though I agree fully that the site does its best to educate visitors about the battle and its outcome.

National Battlefields are a nice deviation from the usual tourist sites, but unless you’re a serious fan of Civil War history, serve in the military, or have some other interests or affiliation that would make this site appealing, you may find little to peak your interest at Wilson’s Creek. It’s an okay place, but some may find it less than exciting.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Bryan_Carey

Papillion, Nebraska, United States
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“MUCH MORE THAN EXPECTED !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

we where there at end of july it was very nice and the history was awesome my 13 year old loved it our tour guide at the Ray house was very good it was very sombering knowing how many young men had died in battle there ,tip wear good shoes lots of walking but if you like history its a must see grounds are kept perfect staff was awesome highly recomend a visit!!!

Nevada
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Let it snow..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We went in the off season and it was wonderful. Go to the visitor's center museum first so that you get an understanding of this sites historic significance. If you are with an older, slower (grandparents) crowd, which we were on our first drive through, we just drove through and stopped at some of the markers that explained the section. Our second visit was with just the teens. We hiked back into the lesser accessible areas. While we were hiking, a gentle snow started to fall. Okay, so I hate snow but it will be a memory never to forget as it fell on that silent battlefield. The park rangers had plenty of time to answer our questions...who knew that the teens already knew so much and were able to pick his brain for in depth answers? The fee for the park is small and has the added bonus that you can come back up to 5 days later with the receipt. We took advantage of this 3x...and not at my suggestion but the teens. We were also fortunate enough to see a wide variety of animal life including turkeys and deer.

Visited December 2012
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Such a historic and beautiful national park with so much history. It's well worth the trip! Take the time to watch the orientation movie before touring the park. It really helps to understand what you're looking at.

Linn, Missouri
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“An okay visit.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Decided to take my civil war buff of a son out to visit Wilson's Creek recently. The staff at the visitor's center was informative and friendly. We skipped the movie at the center in order to make it around the loop in time to watch a cannon presentation they were putting on. My boys thought the cannon presentation was fun to watch and was interested in touring the Ray House. The guide at the Ray House was great with the kids.
I wish I could give more stars, but I felt like the visitors center should have had more in the way of exhibits to view and I think it would be awesome if there were more reenactments offered at this park. It's hard for kids to be interested in looking at fields and such to learn history when there is a funner way to put it out there.