“Great National Battlefield”

Wilson's Creek National Battlefield
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Republic
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This park was created during the Eisenhower administration, so is just over fifty years old. The museum contains good exhibits and has a first rate orientation film. The site also has a good bookstore (always a plus for me!) and altogether sets you up for the battlefield tour. A token (like at a parking garage) lets you in to the five mile one-way tour that contains about a dozen stops. Trails from most of the stops permit a good way to understand the battlefield as do the numerous interpretive panels. A smaller Federal force attacked the Confederates and Missouri State Militia on August 8, 1861 hoping for a spoiling attack. The fighting raged from dawn until noon when the Federal commander, Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon, was killed and the Federals withdrew after suffering nearing 25% casualties. The Confederates numerically lost a bit more and the spoiling attack actually crippled Confederate operations in Missouri.

The battlefield is very scenic and contains the Wilson's Creek valley and several high hills around the valley, There are many walking trails and the Sunday I was there the locals were out in force walking and riding horses. A visitor can stop at all the sites, read the interpretive panels and walk some of the trails in about three hours. The entire battlefield would take days to explore. Well worth a trip!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband is a civil war buff and I decided, as part of our anniversary gift, for us to go to Springfield after Branson trip, and on our way back home to St. Louis, to visit the Civil War batttlefield in Republic, MO. To my surprise, I enjoyed it as much as he did, especially the video we watched at the museum. It was such a moving video, we decided to buy the DVD to bring home and share with our friends.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I love the American Civil War, and my girlfriend found this lovely battlefield for me. It's not as big as say Gettysburg or Antietam, but it would be well worth a visit. This was like the first major battle in the West as well as one of the major ones after first Bull Run. The battlefield is small and can be done in a couple of hours. There is the Ray's house which I think is from that time. We didn't see everything, as there were a few other buildings. The gift shop is nice and they have a very extensive library there. Also,my girlfriend even liked the battlefield which was a huge plus, I heartily recommend if you are in the area, stop in and see one of the lesser known battlefields.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

This beautiful civil war battlefield has a 5 mile blacktop loop for cars, bike and pedestrians. It also has multiple trails to various sites of importance, including a marker where General Nathaniel Lyon fell. He was the first General to die in the Civil War. There is also a beautiful visitors center and picnic area

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Wilson's Creek National Battlefield is one of two sites administered by the National Park Service in Southwest Missouri. Wilson's Creek is not hard to reach when traveling on busy I-44 through Springfield, MO. I took exit 70, which is on the far west side of Greater Springfield. Signs direct you to a state highway which runs south for about 2 or 3 miles to the junction of US 60. Cross US 60 and continue south, following the signs, until you reach the battlefield. The park visitor center is going to be expanded soon with new exhibits, according to the information I received there. The film about the battle is well done, and is a newer version than the one I had seen several years before. The drive through the battlefield is a one way loop of several miles, with several stops along the way. The first stop includes a one mile trail along Wilsons Creek, to the site of a grist mill that once stood by the creek. The Missouri countryside is beautiful. Battlefields are like that. The countryside is so peaceful and beautiful today, and you have to imagine the horror of the battle that took place here, with the noise, the confusion, the loud explosions, the fear, and the many deaths. The Union Army was outnumbered here, but General Lyons decided to attack anyway, believing it was his best option. Sadly he died on the battlefield at Bloody Hill, and the Confederate Army took Springfield. However, after a few months, the Confederate Army was forced to withdraw to Arkansas, and Missouri remained as part of the Union, even though many skirmishes continued to be fought throughout the state in 1862, 1863 and 1864. Wilson's Creek was fought in August, 1861, just a few weeks after the Battle of Bull Run in Virginia. The National Park service has done a very good job preserving the battlefield and providing the information to understand its significance in the Civil War.