“Not all rooms are equal”
Review of Cincinnatian Hotel

Cincinnatian Hotel
Ranked #15 of 50 Hotels in Cincinnati
San Francisco, California
“Not all rooms are equal”
Reviewed March 2, 2011

I have been trying to find a good hotel for my frequent business trips to Cincinnati and I hoped it would be here, based on the reviews and what I'd heard about the "incredible" bathrooms. I found a good rate on hotels.com for $149/nt for a queen room. The hotel is historical and I liked that about it and the staff was extremely nice and accommodating. Unfortunately I was treated to what I can only assume was their lowest quality room. The furnishings were old and outdated--but not in a charming way. The TV was the old box kind and the picture quality was terrible. I couldn't even rent movies. Ipod doc, sound system? I guess you only get that when you pay the high rate. Jets in the bathtub? Not in my room. In fact, they gave me a handicapped accessible room, so everything was really low to the ground and I practically had to kneel to wash my face. The carpet was old and blue. There was a loud humming noise that wouldn't stop and the tired old mini bar rattled all night long. My room faced the atrium, so I had no natural light. I could open the doors to my room but then I'd have no privacy and I could also hear everything that happened in the atrium--which was yelling at midnight and vacuuming at 7:15 am. I don't know if they needed to clean the air ducts or carpets but I awoke with raw, red eyes and an allergy attack. I told them about the noise and the front desk agent immediately called someone to check it out but it was too late for my stay. Even though the staff was nice I felt like a lower-class citizen in that awful room. I won't go back and I suggest that if you stay here, you make sure you don't get an old room or one that faces inside, and be sure to ask what kind of amenities your room has. The one good thing I will say is that the wi-fi is free.

1 Thank lilredwriter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Millidgeville
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Aside from the Parking being somewhat ridiculous ($28.00), the Cincinnatian was a true treat. The agent at the desk explained the parking was comparable to the other downtown establishments and, although I accepted that response, it does beg the question of why a Midwestern Town would find it necessary to charge New York Prices. As for the rooms, however, they were nicer than anything I've ever gotten in New York or Cincinnati. Granted I typically stay at the chains, but since this was so close to where we wanted to be I thought why not splurge - and splurge we did!! I was very happy with the service, and I was particularly impressed with the way the nice foreign lady (spoke Italian?) delivered us cookies, the weather card and even a Prayer card. Only at a private hotel are you going to get a Prayer card. It was a nice touch. Enjoyed the Jacuzzi and we had a balcony room to enjoy the music. It was all splendid. Breakfast was prompt, and the food was far above average. Next time I come to Cincinnati I'll stay at the Cincinnatian. I've been fine at the chains in the past, and they are cheaper; but it's not in the same class as this place.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Versailles, Kentucky
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We booked room at last minute...literally...through hotels.com for $99 and had a business queen. I was excited to stay, as this was billed as a 4 star hotel with typical rates of $200 and higher. I felt as if we truly got a $99 room. While this indeed is a historical hotel...our room was just plain tired. This wasn't antique furniture old/tired... But water stains on wall paper, peeling border (which had an 80's look). Old tv. The bathtub was peeling. Room was clean, and bed was comfotable...but room was not a good impression or representation of other rooms that are shown on hotel's website. We had a drink in the bar. While it was a Saturday night...and busy...bar service was very slow. Bar tender was friendly. However, I do not blame her for slow service...mgmt shouldve scheduled more help for this time frame; or at very least jumped in to help.
I'm not sure I will return ... As there are other hotels in the area that offer similar amenities at similar price...and are more updated.

• Stayed February 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed February 21, 2011

The Cincinnatian exceeded our expectations. We booked an Executive Queen room for $200. Upon our arrival we were upgraded to an Executive King. Basically the same room, just with a king bed. This is one of the nicest rooms we have ever been in. The television rises from the dresser, which is pretty cool, You can also sync your iPod/MP3 to the rooms sound sytem. But what really makes the room special is the bathroom. It has a jetted tub that has lighting and different setting for the jets that you can program. The shower is big enough to fit 4. It has 2 overhead heads and 2 rainbars on either side. There is a built in ledge if you just want to soak or steam. It's really incredible. The floor tile can be heated and there is a TV in the bathroom as well. There are 2 sinks, one in the bathroom and 1 in the water closet.

The room had very modern furniture and we didn't have any trouble at all. The hotel itself is very nice. The lobby and common areas are well decorated and very well maintained, We ate at The Palace which is inside the hotel and had a wonderful meal. The only thing we could complain about was that we couldn't get a reservation til 8PM.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lesmitchell
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Arrived on a Friday afternoon and valet was quick and easy. Received upgrade upon check in. Hotel lobby was nice and comfortable. Had a small embracing feel of a boutique hotel that I stayed in in San Francisco. The staff was "mature" and professional. The room was average as the TV was a console, the CD player was part of a simple/inexpensive clock radio, there were no slippers or bathrobes as advertised but we had our own. The water pressure for hot water was very little and frustrating. The placement of the mini bar was in the entryway of the room and seemed to be an afterthought. I have to say that the bed was not good. There was a very thin mattress pad and I could feel every ripple of the matress design. The pillow covers and sheets were crisp and clean, however, the pillows were foam pieces. The internet was included, but according to my son, we only had 2 of 5 bars and he was frustrated. The AC also made a pretty bothersome roaring noise when running. The live music was fantastic and the food was exceptional. I was not happy with the hefty fee for valet, but as a female traveler, I wanted it. There is complimentary coffee and tea in the AM, but is is far from strong ( my European friends would call it dishwater), but serious coffee drinkers can get what they need nearby. I got a really good rate and enjoy being downtown. The hotel overall is nice if you get a deal. I would rate it as a 4, not 4.5. I also stayed at the Millenium that week so see that review if you like.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Beautiful old historic building, large rooms, but very loud. I did not get a good night's sleep. If you're on the interior you get noise wafting from the atrium; on the exterior you get a lot of street noise (the hotel is right downtown). I could hear the person above me all night. Bring earplugs!

Quebec
Reviewed February 10, 2011

We went there some colleagues and me for a business trip. We found the location of the hotel awesome. Lots of good restaurants (McCormick, Jeff Ruby's, Morton's...) and good stores too (Macy's, Saks, Tiffany's, etc.).

Hotel was nice, rooms were spacious and well decorated. Found a hair in the tub and on the pillow but other than that, very clean.

The hotel restaurant serves awesome food BUT... you have to be very patient to get it. We told the manager we only had one hour for lunch so we wanted it to be fast. Well... it took one hour before we actually got our plates. Some told me it is the southern way to do things: their pace and not yours. Was very frustrating. Because of that, we didn't find the personnel very helpful (technical service for conference room, restaurant reservations, catering, taxi calling... everyting was a mess!)

Oh... and my matress was so soft I had back pain for three days after a two night stay.

That being said, if you can deal with those inconvenients, you should like this place very much.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business