“Good not great”
Review of Cincinnatian Hotel

Cincinnatian Hotel
Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Cincinnati
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We thought the room was well priced and since we were only staying overnight the size (fairly small) was fine. We didn't care for the fact that our window overlooked the interior of the hotel but we knew that going in. The room was clean and quiet. We didn't eat at the restaurant but we had a drink at the bar and the bartender was very nice and attentive. We couldn't find a coffee maker in the room but there was complimentary coffee in the lobby (maybe that should be advertised so guests know to make their way downstairs for coffee). The valet and doormen were very helpful.

Room Tip: Get one with an outside window if you want to know what the weather is like.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank catpat66
Slockwood, Manager at Cincinnatian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write in. Our hotel has a variety of room types and we are happy to place you in a room facing the exterior of the hotel. Please feel free to call and contact me directly if you are planning to return so I can ensure an outside room for you. You are correct in not finding a coffee maker in the room and yes we do offer complimentary coffee each morning starting at 5:30am. Please feel free to call down and someone can bring coffee to you right away. We also have coffee makers available by request through room service. I will also let the bar staff know of your kind words.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Assistant Hotel Manager- Rooms

There are newer reviews for Cincinnatian Hotel

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I had to stay at this hotel as it was on the approved list of my corporation for a business trip. After having stayed at this hotel, I would only stay at this hotel if I had to. Let me state that the best part of the hotel experience was the hotel valet staff. Professional, quick, and very helpful would describe the experience with the hotel valet staff. This was the best staff interaction until I had to deal with the hotel manager. The entrance and lobby of this historic hotel was very nice and had my expectations for this hotel expectation at 4 diamonds. After checking in we went to our room which was an interior room that opened up to the atrium. After entering the room, it was smaller than most hotel rooms, but not unexpected considering this was a historic hotel. If the hotel was trying to create the feel from when the hotel originally opened and not have been remodeled since, then they succeeded. As we walked to the elevators, we were able to see housekeeping cleaning other rooms and they seemed remodeled and redecorated, so it might just be the room that they assign you when you check in. There was a pocket door that separated the toilet from the sink area that did not work. It seemed like the hotel had tried to solve this problem by having the hotel guest use the door to the closet as the door separating the sleeping area from the toilet area. Unfortunately this door was not a solid door, it had slats that you could see through in it. Very different than I was used to and expected better form a 4 diamond hotel. As stated our room was on the atrium side, it opened up and you could look down, the drawback to this is even though there were doors, we were above the bar and the doors were not sound proof, so there was quite a bit of noise from the bar area that came into the room. If you want quietness, I would avoid an atrium room. Like I said I was there for two nights on business, but my wife had accompanied me and we decided to stay a third night. We had booked the third night separately from my business reservation. So we technically had 2 reservations. I had asked the clerk at the front desk the night before our first two night reservation was up and let him know about the two separate reservations and wanted to see if we could just keep the same room. I was told that he could not do anything for us, because the second reservation was not until the next day and that I would have to either speak with the manager or check in after 3pm. From my point of view I understood that it was 2 separate reservations, but thought that it would be an easy accommodation on the hotels part. I then asked what time the manager would be in and he said 7am tomorrow morning. Since I had to be in a meeting at 7:30, I explained to him that I would probably not be able to see the manager the next morning. He said he couldn't do anything for me. I wondered why the hotel wouldn't empower their employees to take care of the customer, in a case that seemed simple. I was able to speak with the manager in the morning, and it was absolutely no problem, but still couldn't understand why I needed to talk with a manager. Especially being in management myself, I would want my associates in a hospitality industry to be empowered to take care of their guests. Overall, if it wasn't for the valet staff and manager, this review would have been poor. If you do stay in the hotel, ask for a updated room not on the atrium side. If not due to business, I would look for a different hotel to stay in for the money.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SqueaksandBoo
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Holy cow!

I stayed at the Cincinnatian Hotel on business and was delighted by the experience.

The Cincinnatian is a grand luxury hotel just steps from Fountain Square in downtown Cincinnati. It is conveniently located and within walking distance of basically all of downtown. The hotel has been kept up and refurnished to a high degree.

I was upgraded on arrival (yay!) and my room was a very pleasant surprise. It was larger than some "suites" I have stayed at with many amenities. Wi-fi is included (as it should be, but oftentimes isn't) and was fast. My room had a king bed and fireplace; a business companion had a similar room with a 4-poster bed.

The rooms are tastefully decorated and furnished. There was a marble floor in the entryway to my room, marble surfaces in the bathroom and windowsills, and, in places, a wood floor.

There is no coffee maker in the room, but there is complimentary coffee in the attractive lobby in the morning - which is easy to get.

The bathroom was incredible, with a jacuzzi tub and what is probably the most luxurious shower in the state of Ohio - a large shower area with two overhead show heads and side jets. If you want to spend time in the tub, there is a CD player and LCD TV you can watch, in addition to the MP3 player in the main bedroom.

They have nice little touches like turndown service (they left a chocolate chip scone) and handwritten cards with the next day's weather.

I will happily stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stopped at this hotel on a whim because we have never stayed at a historic hotel. we were not disappointed. The customer service was impeccable from the valet, door man, front desk and breakfast concierge. We were not use to the in room snack/drink service so when we saw the prices were astounding. Nice area many places within walking distance will definitely return if in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Slockwood, Manager at Cincinnatian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

It must have been fate! I am so glad to hear you picked us on a whim. Thank you for writing in and sharing your story. We really appreciate it.
We are looking forward to your return.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

With 130 years under it's belt, you'd expect this place to be a little worn. Surprisingly, it is not. Art deco styling in the public areas that is well maintained and the rooms have been remodeled appropriately. One sink area then a door to another sink area, toilet and soaking tub.
Nice toiletries and thick towels. Comfy robes too.
Bedding is nice and FREE internet.
Very friendly staff.
Overall very impressed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Slockwood, Manager at Cincinnatian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you so much for your response. We are constantly working to update our historic hotel all the while keeping its charm and tradition. We hope you are able to return for another visit. We would love to see you again.

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We had an inside room on the 8th floor. Rm 820. It had a wood floor instead of wall to wall which was really appreciated. Very clean. The bed was outfitted with higher end sheets and comforters. The bathroom was the best part. Huge with shower 2 heads and spa bath. Problem with housekeeping- did not clean room until we complained at 3:30 p.m. Great treats delivered - cookies delicious. The room was on the inside and felt alittle claustrophobic. But there were doors to open to the atrium and no one could see in. Will stay there again. You must ask for a room that has been remodeled. The other rooms do not compare but you will pay more.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I see you noted you enjoyed one of our rooms which have the nice large bathroom with the Jacuzzi jets and a separate marble shower. I am glad you liked it.
We are happy to make note that you would prefer a room with carpet over the newer hardwood, marble or tile flooring. All of our rooms are quite different and carpeted rooms are still available.
I am also happy to hear you thought the hotel was clean and has the higher end bedding. We like to strive for the best product we can offer. For your next visit please let us know when you are leaving the hotel either by stopping by the desk or calling down. We are happy to note that you are gone and send the housekeeper to your room first. They clean throughout the day up until about 5pm. We don’t want to put you out in anyway.
Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I love this place!! Excellent food and service. We stay here every time we go to Cincinnati and have always been pleased! The rooms are very nice and staff is fantastic! We have only had positive experiences here and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Amyhass-
What a nice note! Thank you for sharing with others your consistently positive experience. We are so glad to hear you enjoy us! We hope you are back soon.