“Could be so much better” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cincinnatian Hotel

Cincinnatian Hotel
Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Cincinnati
united kingdom
“Could be so much better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We are staying here as part of a road trip. Having stayed at several other similar prices hotels I must say thus one fell short if my expectations. The decor is very 80's style Our room was small and as we overlooked the atrium noise came up from there. Didn't eat here, so cannot comment. Several cafes and restraints nearby , shuttle to casino every 39 mins. Area mainly ok, however I was approached several times by homeless looking for handouts. Guess that's the norm for big cities.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank buncey47_8
Slockwood, Manager at Cincinnatian Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
We appreciate your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am sorry your stay was not up to Par. If you wouldn’t mind letting us know your name so we can make sure you get an exterior room and one of our newer renovated rooms on your next visit . All of our rooms are very different and were updated at different times, including some within the last year. Again, I am sorry you were dissatisfied and I do hope you contact me if you decide to return so I can ensure a newer room for you.

Jodie Fitzgerald
Assistant Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Grimes, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We are not enamored with a hotel just because it is old. The room was large though nothing special. The bed was not particularly comfortable. The towels were not very plush. There were not many people there. If there are updated rooms, we're not sure for whom they were saving them. In short, it didn't live up to the hype. Been there, done that. If we are staying in downtown Cincinnati in the future we will stay at the Westin.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tm212
Stone Mountain,GA, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

This restored hotel is beautiful with outstanding decor throughout the hotel and impeccable service...in the hotel. The former chef and long-standing maitre d'hotel have both left and the service now in the restaurant is abominable. At both dinner and breakfast I waited more than fifteen minutes at the empty maitre d'hotel desk and not a single waiter even acknowledged my presence.
On Friday evening a musical combo were playing at the lounge and even they began to look at my long wait. At breakfast it wasn't until another guest, who was already seated, noted my long wait and asked a waiter to seat me. After I was seated, and after fifteen minutes after I placed my order without result, I left. By the way, the waiter presented the bill to me within two minutes after I place my order. Such behavior is unforgivable.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the atrium if there is music that evening.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Don P
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is a grand old hotel that was updated some time ago and is due for some additional improvements. Though the exterior is classy and authentic, the interior seems to have lost some, if not most, of its historical authenticity. The location is convenient to downtown venues, easily within walking distance of major business offices and theaters. The rate was average, but no bargain for a slow week night ($139 plus another $25 in taxes).

The room was surprisingly average. The lack of a mini fridge and coffee maker were notable. On the humorous side, the tiny bottle of water was $5.00, which didn't even match prices that I've seen in nice Manhattan hotels. The room temperature was a little cool and there is no in-room control. That was doubly irritating because of the constant rattle in the fan. It was odd to find no trash can in the bathroom.

Check in was fast and friendly. The finely-attired bellman and doorman must be paid on salary, because they don't seem at all eager for tips. Not a single welcoming greeting or opened door on our several trips in and out of the main entrance. I'd certainly return here again, but I would have expected more for the historic crown jewel of the downtown hotels. There are other options if one wants historic luxury, such as the Hilton Netherlands Hotel just down the street.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank K W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel. Fully enjoyed, cricket bar, ambiance, staff is very accommodating. A must to stay at when in town. Easy to walk or grab can from location. Easy to get to both stadiums also staff provides great assistance when looking for dining or venues.

• Stayed September 2013
Barboursville, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had a one night stay for a Reds game. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The room was great and reasonably priced for what we got. I would definitely stay here again. The bar and restaurant staff were excellent and the food was very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Slockwood, Manager at Cincinnatian Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I know our staff loves to hear people enjoyed thier visit with us! I hope we have a chance to welcome you back. Go Reds!

Best,

Jodie Fitzgerald
Assistant Hotel Manager
Cincinnatian Hotel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were at the CIncinnatian for two nights over Labor Day. A lovely old historic hotel right in the centre of town. Perfect location to walk to fountain square and lots of restaurants. The decor is a little tired, but the room was a good size, plenty of space and spotlessly clean. The staff were excellent, very helpful and friendly. We didn't eat at the hotel. My one little complaint would be that on the Sunday morning, there was no hot water when we got up to take a shower. I called the front desk and she said that they were working on the boiler. I presume therefore that it must have broken down, surely no one plans maintenance on a boiler in a hotel in the morning. She said that she would call me back in 20 mins to give us a status update. Well 30 mins later, there had been no call back, but at least there was luke warm water. These things happen I know, but it would have been good if she had kept to her word and called us back with an update. Overall though it didn't spoil our stay and I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple