“beautiful classy downtown hotel, superb customer service”
Review of Cincinnatian Hotel

Cincinnatian Hotel
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Cincinnati
Reviewed February 20, 2012

we stayed in rm 802, we had a 2 person whirlpool jacuzzi in the very large bathroom, a fireplace and balcony. Although we liked having a fireplace, it was not worth paying extra just for that. However the jacuzzi and balcony were very nice. The balcony was inside and on Saturday night we kept our door opened and heard the jazz playing from the lounge. top notch place to stay. ipod dock, very comfortable bed, marble bathroom

1  Thank shannon1124

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed at the Cincinnatian for a late Valentine's weekend. We got there a bit early, so had to wait for the room to be ready. I had asked for an exterior King Deluxe, but the first available was an interior room over the lounge. They warned me that there would be live jazz until 11 pm, but shouldn't be too loud. We expected to be out fairly late, and I like jazz anyway so no problem.

The room was nice, not huge, comfortable bed, deep tub, minibar, etc. We went out to dinner at Jimmy G's (fantastic place!) and came back around 10. Could hear the music, but wasn't a problem.

Next morning, we lounged around until about 10am then my wife went to take a soak in the tub. No hot water. I called the desk and they said they would check with engineering but they were fully booked and everyone was showering at once. I checked back about 45 minutes later and they said they were aware of the problem and engineering was working on it. They offered us a late check out, but we had to go without showering.

At checkout, we mentioned the problem and our displeasure, and the staff person I had talked to said they would comp our room. That was appreciated, but the water problem really tainted our experience. I understand it's an old hotel, but with all the renovations something like this could have been prevented.

You might ask on check in if they are going to be full booked and plan an early shower!

Room Tip: Deluxe King room was nice, but the Executive Deluxe has all the really nice amenities.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ScooterGuy1961
Reviewed February 19, 2012

To be transparent, we purchased our hotel room through Hotwire, so when we arrived it was evident that we heard several people ahead of us 'getting upgrades' and when we checked in we were simply handed our room assignment without question or comment. The price you pay for a room speaks to the room you get.

There are apparently two types of rooms in this historical hotel - those that have been renovated and are awesome, and those that have been updated but are still dated and small. Be prepared if you purchase through Hotwire, you will be given a small room with a queen-bed, moldy shower heads, fraying carpets, smaller room, almost dangerous shower situation, stiff sheets, no coffee makers, no ice on the floor, gross scale from the 80's, tiny glasses in the room, a small TV with poor sound, and thin walls. There is no way I would consider this a 4 star hotel, let alone a 4.5. 3.0 would be generous with the room we had. The common features were not visible enough to over-ride the fairly 'generic' experience we had with this room and hotel.

When you purchase through Hotwire, hotels have the opportunity to 'convert' these lower paying visitors to repeat visitors, when will they learn that by giving you the worst room we really won't ever return?

To add injury to insult, when we checked out I was asked if everything was to my satisfaction - I replied (for the first time ever) 'it was just ok' - another staff member stepped forward, looked at the computer screen that was visible to the check out individual, then stepped back without saying a word or attempting to ask or inquire what was 'only ok'. Perhaps they saw we were 'Hotwire' customers and knew what room we were in! We won't return = ever.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank caf123
DanBrookbank, Manager at Cincinnatian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. The constructive criticism we receive from our guests is very important. It is, in fact, the most effective way we can discover what we did wrong. Athough I am pleased that our staff inquired about your stay, I find it inexplicable that the only comment they would make on the matter is "o.k." I assure you that your having booked with hotwire had no bearing on their reaction. However, to have been so curt is certainly beyond the pale of good cusotomer service and not at all represenative of the stellar customer service that every Cincinnatian Hotel guest should expect and deserves. I will assure you that such behavior is definitely an aberration from the The Cincinnatian Hotel's commitment to service. Clearly we have some work to do with our Front Office agents and your remarks will assist us greatly in this effort.
Insofar as our accommodations are concerned, we have a wide range of varying room types, which run the gamut from the most basic to absolutely the best and most luxurious suites and deluxe bedrooms that the city of Cincinnati has to offer. It is true that most of our rooms were very full on the night in question; and it is also true that your particular room was not one of our more recently renovated, although we thank you for pointing out that upgrades are available. Unfortunately, similar to most hotels, we can only provide upgrades up and until we run out of them.
Also, however, we do not wish for you to walk away from The Cincinnatian Hotel with such low expectations; nor do we want others reading such a post to expect any less. The truth is that we do sell rooms at many different price points. We are an historic property and we are constantly renovating our rooms. Some truly prefer something basic and simple while others need not worry about booking something more elaborate or asking for an upgrade.

Therefore I truly hope that one day we are fortunate to have your business again. I applaud you for your very appropriate admonition and advice and will seek to follow it wholeheartedly: Every time a guest stays at The Cincinnatian Hotel is very much indeed an opportunity to welcome them back during a future stay. I hope you understand that making amends for the anonymous unhappiness of another if not given the opportunity to do so looks to be a very difficult task. Hence it is my sincere wish that you contact me directly at the hotel so that I may personally attend to your frustrations. In the meantime, I wish you nothing but happy travels and pleasurable stays. Dan Brookbank

Reviewed February 17, 2012

It has been years since I have been to Cincinnati but I needed to come back to Ohio for a funeral and decided to stay in Cincinnati versus Dayton (where I’m originally from and where my parents still live). The funeral services were a little closer to Cincy and because of the lack of nonstop flights to Dayton at this point, it made the choice easier (especially since I was able to get a 25,000 round trip mileage ticket at the last minute).

When I started looking for places to stay I immediately found, "The Cincinnatian" on several travel review sites. In all my years in Ohio and multiple trips to Cincinnati over the years I had never heard of it in spite of it having been here for many years. It is a beautiful, historic hotel and considered on the "boutique" side at this point.

I decided to save 30% on my stay and booked an upgraded room classified as an, "Executive Deluxe King". It was a "pay-in-full at the time of booking" rate but I was very pleased with the rate discount for the 3 nights.

Unfortunately I had to rent a car so I could drive to the funeral services while I was here. So when I arrived out front of the hotel, the valet was quick to get me in and immediately took my vehicle to the lot with no problems. The cost of the valet parking (with unlimited in/out privilege’s was $24 a day).

Upon arrival the staff was extremely attentive and the front desk representative really did a great job reviewing my reservation, the rate, and other tidbits. He also gave a quick briefing about the hotel and the services available. Once that was complete he handed me an old, brass key that is still used. I thought it would be a drag but I actually quite liked it for a change.

I immediately went up to my room as I was eager to see it. I had been told at the front desk during check-in that my room had been renovated in the last few weeks prior to my arrival. As soon as I opened the door I could smell the fresh pain, flooring, etc. The little sitting area had very nice, new, modern furniture and the bed was really nice as were the linens (I hear they were 400 thread count but not sure). Then I went into the bathroom which I had seen online and WOW, just WOW!! The shower was huge and had two rainshower heads on the ceiling as well as several side nozzles which created a full-around shower experience. Within the first 5 hours I was in the hotel I was in the shower twice! There was also a very nice Jacuzzi tub marble/granite trims and a really great vanity/sink area. The bathroom also had a flat screen TV up in one corner and a huge, elaborate stereo system with a CD player built into one wall of the bathroom. The towels and bath soaps/shampoos/lotions were incredible and very high-end. As for the bed itself, I slept like a baby and it was VERY comfortable. All the light switches on the walls had dimmers so you could adjust as needed. There were also several table lamps (which I prefer over ceiling lights). In the closet was a very small safe which locked by an additional key. This was a little annoying because it wasn’t big enough for my laptop or iPad…it was literally big enough for passports, wallets, etc. But at least it was something and it didn’t hinder my experience whatsoever. The HUGE flat screen TV in the main room was built into a giant dresser drawer and storage unit. There was a remote near the bedside which actually lowered the TV into the unit and could be completely stowed if necessary. I thought it was interesting that such a feature was in a
room like this but I suppose it was cool.

I ordered room service several times while at the hotel. The first time was simply to have a tea service sent up. I was expecting $12-15 for some tea bags and hot water. But they sent up several tea bags, a large carafe of hot water, lemons, sugar, cream and nice linens and cups. And get this, this bill came to $5.00 and some change! They basically just charged for the tea bags I was told. So I had tea sent up two other times while I was at the hotel. I also had a couple of side dishes from the dinner menu for a late dinner/snack one evening that was incredible. Fried green tomatoes and a couple of other tidbits which I loved. The prices of the menu and service was very, very reasonable and in fact, some of the most reasonable prices I’ve ever seen for room service.

Overall I would HIGHLY recommend, "The Cincinnatian" if your travels take you to Cincinnati. It was a huge surprise to find such a place and I was extremely pleased with the service, accommodations, food, and pretty much everything. I can’t wait to stay here again sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Spend just a little extra and opt-in for a Business King Deluxe room! It's AMAZING! The bathro...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank scottyhouston
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Old world manners, elegant public areas, immaculate rooms, and stately architecture are just a few of the reasons I love this hotel. Just spent a lovely 20th anniversary weekend there. When I made our hotel reservation, I also made The Palace restaurant reservation (see my review). But when we checked in, apparently our restaurant res was lost. Now, it was Super Bowl weekend (hotel full, with lots of SB attendees staying there), and The Palace was going to be Super busy. But the maitre d still got us in at 6:15 (my original time was 6:15), with much apology.

Happy hour at the Cricket Lounge: we ordered a glass of wine, 2 beers, and a platter of hot wings:$12. Sat next to the tuxedoed jazz trio - fabulous. Then dressed for dinner (should wear a jacket and slacks, minimally, to The Palace) in our nicely appointed room.

After dinner, the maitre d sent an assistant to our room with a thick envelope containing a sweet e.e. cummings poem about love and a $35 gift certificate to The Palace in honor of our anniversary. Look, I'm not a regular here - can't afford it. But I take the time to tell hard working people how much I appreciate their efforts, and I think that goes a long way. That's how I'd like to be treated, anyway.

Room accessories: mini bar, deep oval bath tub, luxurious white down bed coverings, thick white robes, and a window over the lounge so we could fall asleep to the jazz trio. Verrry romantic. I've stayed in most of the downtown hotels, and this is by FAR my favorite!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I have nothing but good things to say about the Cincinnatian. I had requested a room with a nice view as we were on an anniversary trip. We were given an upgrade to a King Deluxe on the top floor, which was great. The staff were super friendly and the location was great. We were only blocks from great restaurants and the Taft Theatre. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I have stayed at the CIncinnatian 5-6 times for business over the past 8 months. It is a lovely old hotel with a lot of charm - antiques, crooked floors, real keys. The rooms have a bit of a "Forrest Gump" factor - you never know what you are going to get. Sometimes the room is huge with a massive, mable bathroom with a two headed shower. Sometimes the room feels like a dark back closet with a cranky heating system.

The gym has nice equipment and plenty of bottled water. The space is fairly small, but there has never been more than 2-3 people in there when I was there so it didn't feel too crowded. They have a famous restuarant in the lobby, but I have never eaten there nor have I seen a lot of people in there. The menu at the bar is very nice and all of the food that I have had there has been very good. Very friendly staff in the bar, too.

One thing that I found odd is that other than one waitress, I have never been acknowledged as a return visitor. Not a huge deal as everyone has been super friendly, but it would be nice to know that they appreciate the business when there are a lot of other good options - like the Westin - right around the corner.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business