“SKEPTICAL, BUT PLEASANTLY SURPRISED”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Cincinnati North-Mason
Ranked #25 of 51 Hotels in Cincinnati
Reviewed July 27, 2014

At first, we were very skeptical- but pleasantly surprised!! I called, made the reservations with NO problems. When we got to the hotel, the staff was very nice. I have OCD and everything has to be perfect in order for me to be comfortable. Went right up to our room, and actually couldn't believe how nice it was. It was very clean (floors, rugs, bathroom, and YES bed sheets). The location was great, easy to find, with LOTS of places to eat. Not that far from attractions, and a lot more reasonably $ priced. I don't understand why people gave this place a BAD review. Are we talking about the same place?

Room Tip: "stay here"
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Denise G

Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I choose this hotel based on a high customer rating from Priceline and a low price $65 but while it was pretty clean in the room, the commons areas need a lot of attention and it was in some disrepair. Okay for a quick stay over but not a place to vacation at.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank jp_edwards
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Pretty clean for price. Our room didn't smell too bad but I saw a sign that pets are free to stay. Breakfast worked but was not like description on orbitz when I booked. Only warm item was waffle and it described eggs, sausage etc. shower curtain and floor of shower was dirty. Used a towel to stand on in shower because I forgot flip flops. Bed was clean.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I arrived quite late and chose this hotel simply because it was there. I spent most of the next day regretting it. This was without question one of the absolute NASTIEST hotels I've ever stayed in!

My problems began when I tried to call the 800 number to make reservations. Although I've been a RediCard member for over 20 years I couldn't get them to hold a room for five minutes until I got to the site. Fortunately (or unfortunately, as it turned out), there were still rooms available when I arrived.

I didn't get more than three steps past the door of the first room when I turned around and walked out. The overpowering musty odor almost literally knocked me out of the room. I was given a second room. While the room didn't smell bad, the hallway REEKED of I don't know what. It was horrible.

The room turned out to be not much better than the first once I turned the A/C on. As I'd already used the facilities I was committed to staying in the room. I woke up the next morning in an asthma attack.

To compound matters, although I was told that ONLY non-smoking rooms were available when I checked in (which was fine because I don't smoke), there was a strong smell of cigarette smoke in the hall going to my room.

That awful smell in the hallway stayed with me, physically, most of the next day because I was suffering from an asthma attack thanks to it.

This is my second bad experience in a row with a Red Roof, and I'm going to seriously reconsider staying at one. There is no legitimate way that a hotel this relatively modern could have become so run-down as to have such a foul-smelling odor in the hallways constantly (and yes, it was still there the next morning). The Red Roof company isn't taking care of its properties, and I'm afraid, based on this terrible hotel, their attempts to "upgrade" their properties are failing.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BlueSideofLonesome
Reviewed July 8, 2014

we were heading north from Florida with final destination as Windsor, Canada. we drove all day and decided to stay in Mason (the following day we were going to the Columbus Zoo). it was about 11 pm and we were exhausted. WOW what a nice hotel. the staff was friendly and checked us right in (we booked on hotels.com 10 minutes before arriving). the room was big and clean and had all the amenities we needed. There were plenty of hotels in this area, but for the value and great accommodations, i can't see staying anywhere else. one of the nicest red roof inn's we've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jgowings
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We were traveling with a baseball team and had 12 rooms. They were very easy to work with, check in was smooth as well as check out. We were allowed to use the breakfast area to have pizza for the players one night, played cards in the same area as well. Rooms were clean and big. Microwaves and fridges were very handy! Close to places to eat and grocery. King Island is just a short 7 minute drive. Pool was nice and clean. Laundry onsite was handy.

The only complaint I heard from anyone with us was that the smoke from the smoking rooms on the second floor filtered into the hall way where the non smoking room were and the hallway stunk. Personally I was on the first floor and it did not smell like smoke.

I will be calling this hotel again if our team travels to Cincinnati again!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jendoe74
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband, children and I had a great experience staying here on our trip to King's Island. It was very easy to find and only maybe 10 min from the park. The room was very clean and up to date. The beds were sooo comfy - better than my bed at home! The free breakfast was nice. Not huge, but plenty. Doughnuts, muffins, bagels, toast, "make your own" waffles, cereal, fresh fruit, juice, milk, coffee, tea. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family