“Great Stay!”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Cincinnati North-Mason
Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Cincinnati
Reviewed July 4, 2011

This hotel looks old from the outside, but has been completely renovated on the inside. The outdoor pool was a nice size, and was clean. My husband and son enjoyed the belgian waffles for breakfast (you make your own) - they also served apple and orange juice, sausage patties, bagels, and cereal. The room was very nice - but more importantly was very clean. Beds were queen size and comfortable. Lots of pillows provided. Only ran into one minor problem - be aware that there is an "early check in fee" of $15. We planned on leaving our luggage/belongings at the hotel and heading to Kings Island for the day. We arrived about 12:30, and I expected that there would be a room available for us to check in to. Not the case. You are actually not able to check in at all until after 3:00 at this location, unless you pay the extra fee. They did allow us to leave our luggage locked in the office until we came back later that day - which seemed to be our only option, and we did so. Ended up fine in the end. Easy access to interstate 71. About a 10-15 minute drive to Kings Island or The Beach Waterpark. We thought there were plenty of restaurants to choose from in the immediate area. Also found a kroger and a meijer fairly close by. We stayed three nights at this hotel (wed-fri), and we were extremely happy with our choice to stay at this hotel, and would do so again without hesitation - just not early.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 2, 2011

My family and I are actually here right now. We got here at 4:30 (check in time is 3:00) and the room wasn't clean yet. When it was, there were still no clean towels, and the lady said it would be another hour. Once we finally got in the room, there was a poop stain on the "clean" sheets. When my father called to complain he was told there were no clean sheets (even though we are one of the only families here) and that we needed to switch rooms. As we had already settled in and were tired and frustrated, we politely requested that our current sheets be washed and replaced.
Instead, (miraculously) a housekeeper came in with clean sheets 5 minutes later. Imagine that! He was very kind and efficient, so we assured him we weren't angry with him. Before he left, he told us that earlier today there was a different poop episode; a trail of poop was found in the men's bathroom in the lobby.
After he was gone and we were thoroughly agitated and grossed out, we decided this will be our last stay here. Ever.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank pookyjo2
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I stayed here during a basketball tournament in May 2011. Air condition did not work and had to be moved. My daughter forgot her bag and it had to be shipped. Upon arrival her jewelry was missing. I left a message for a manager or owner to contact me and so far not a word. Would not stay here again and I am contacting their corporate parent.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank belmopan
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We stayed at the Clarion Inn North Kings Island as a last minute getwaway for our small children. I was looking for something convenient and affordable since this was just a fun 2 day trip. The Clarion met our needs perfectly.

I will say upfront that this is a 2 1/2 star rated hotel on most websites, so I knew going in to this that I was not paying for a luxury suite. We paid $79 a night and got a clean room with very comfortable beds, 2 choices of pillows, a refrigerator, microwave, plenty of cable channels, and an outdoor pool that my children loved. Lisa at the front desk was amazingly pleasant and the breakfast was delicious-waffles, fruit, bacon, sausage, sweet rolls, coffee, milk, and juice. It was a great value for a family of 4 looking for a comfortable place to relax between excursions.

To address some of the complaints- the breakfast area does get very busy the later you go, but when we went at 7am we basically had the place to ourselves. This is not a brand new hotel. The building is showing some wear, but the bathrooms have updated tile and marble basins. The linens were crisp and beds very comfortable. The rooms were spacious enough for our pack'n play. Yes, the carpets could use a steam clean, but I think most hotels can and just always take my flip flops when travelling. I found that the blackout curtains kept the light and noise out and had no problem putting my kids to bed between 8 and 9pm.

Despite the exit appearing busy, everything moved quickly so we could be to KI in 10 minutes, IKEA in 10, Entertrainment Junction in 15 minutes, and the outlet mall in 20 minutes. There is a nice shopping center about 2 miles down on the same exit with Loft, Gymboree, Black and White Market, Chrisptopher Banks,etc surrounded by every restaurant you can think of (Carraba's, Longhorn, Fox and Hound, Dao Chinese).

I did some research before booking and found some hotels nearby with higher ratings, but also found they had much higher prices. We were very satisfied with our trip and felt we got our money's worth at Clarion. Again, if you are looking for luxury, this is probably not the place for you, but for a family travelling with small children looking for a good value for a night or 2, I would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank blessedmomma
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights during our family trip to Kings Island,the location is about 3 miles,kinda busy at the intersection its near,in a business industrial park next to freeway.The rooms are in need of a good cleaning.Looks like they just get the surface dirt and vacum daily with no other deep cleaning done! The pool was kinda cloudy the teens didn't even want to get their feet wet.So, about the only thing we did was sleep here,it was free from my Delta Skymiles, so I guess I should not complain ,but I would not recommend this hotel .Too many other nicer hotels in the area.If I would have paid I would have been very disappointed. Sorry Clarion Inn but you need to keep up on your cleaning and maintenance!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Gerty1223
oh250, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Cincinnati North-Mason, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your stay with us. We take every comment, positive or negative, very seriously and are in the process of deep cleaning the carpets as we do on a semi-annual basis or as when needed. The pool, due to the high heat and humidity, was much more difficult to control the chemicals this year and we sincerely apologize for the appearance of it. However, we do not keep our pool open unless the chemicals are balanced and the environment is safe for you and as well as all of our guests. We are also in the process of planning to renovate the pool area, which would complete an entire renovation of the hotel since April of 2009.

Reviewed July 31, 2010

My husband and I were treating our young niece and nephew out to a weekend at Kings Island. We decided at the last minute to get a hotel room and not drive 2 hours back to Columbus with two small children. One major problem is that we have a dog so we needed a hotel that was dog friendly and could take us for an EARLY check in. We called them @ 2 am the day we were going to drive to see if they would have availiability and they claimed that it would be fine. We thought wow all is well and everything is going to be great... we get there @ 11:30am and go to check in when the front desk clerk says we cannot check you in until 3 pm. I have a dog and two kids that are ready to go to KI and you want us to SIT in our car from 11:30 am- 3 pm? Right? NOT. So we told them that we would have to find another hotel and we did just that. So we call them after we find another hotel that accepts pets.. and could take us immediately and called to cancel... these people would NOT cancel our reservation and we now have to dispute the $100 charge for the room fee. WE all know that they sold that room.. had the lady said let us get a room ready for you I would not be posting this instead I would be probably complaining about something else bc it sounds like they do not have their priorities together. If you do make a reservation for the same day and plan on canceling do NOT give your credit card number or give a fake one... these people are CROOKS!! Also they said they have a 24 hour cancellation rule.. how can someone cancel their reservation in 24 hours if they made it the SAME day? If someone knows how that is possible please email me lol :) So again if you definetly going to stay there and are ok with all the other problems GO for it

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank aco4now
Reviewed July 22, 2010

A fire alarm for 20-30 minutes at 2:30 am on 7/20 is tough to excuse- I just wonder if that has happened frequenty in the past (there was never a fire or emergency). I cannot excuse telling a desk clerk I need my shower fixed that is broke, and nothing gets done about it (rm 202). I cannot excuse the air conditioner that doesnt work, or the sink drain stopper that didnt work when I got in the room. Total lack of mainteance. This motel has seen some rough times, beware if you go- you may experience the same. Also, my room was adjacent the 1-71 highway- lots of road noice. I will say the room cleaning girls were hard workers. But what really pissed me off, was my chice priviledge number was not entered when I checked in, after the big red head girl told me it was. Im not "your darling" red.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business