“4 star public areas, 3 star rooms”

Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Cincinnati
Columbus, Ohio
“4 star public areas, 3 star rooms”
Reviewed March 26, 2006

This is an old hotel with impressive public spaces including the lobby, bar, restaurant, and ballrooms. The hotel is fun to explore - but be warned that the staff will interrogate you about your presence unless you are dressed up. Our room, though clean, was small, dark, and oddly shaped. The bed was very confortable but the rest of the room was tired. There was one small window in the corner of the room. The small bathroom was at the end of a long, narrow hallway in our room. The room clearly had been divided at some point in the past. The map on the back of our door showed that most of the rooms on our floor were a bit larger than ours. We booked on Priceline so we are satisfied about the value we received. Another thing to note is that the weight room and pool are not in the hotel. You have to walk a short way through a shopping mall on the lower level to reach a separate health club with which the hotel has privileges. We encountered a loud group of young men loitering in the mall. We weren't bothered by it but others might be uncomfortable, especially if you change your clothes in your room and don't expect to be leaving the hotel to reach the pool.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank Sniper33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Korean first
Bloomington, IN
Reviewed February 23, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton for the Golf Show at the Convention Center. The room was just okay, I was disappointed in the size of our room and bathroom (the tiniest I've seen in awhile)- but hey, we weren't there to stay in the room all weekend, we were working- and the hotel is like a million years old. The closet was a little musty smelling, it wasn't the end of the world. I personally liked the beds- that kind of thing is just personal preference. I loved the little easy to use alarm clocks. The bar was fantastic, with unbelieveable restoration on the ceilings and walls. It was pretty crowded each night we went. The morning buffet suited our needs. Good service at the desk and by the waitstaff.

All in all, I would stay at the Hilton again if I had to, we will definitely be back at the bar when we do the show next year, but I prefer the modern upscale hotel across the street (The Millineum). One thing I will say about Cincinnati, whoever thought up the idea of skyways is a genious. I don't think I went outside in the freezing cold once all three days I was there!

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank hvanness331
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 12, 2006

This hotel is not all it's cracked up to be. The rooms are extremely small and the bathroom's are worse. I also had house keeping come clean the room in the morning which was normal, but the bad part was the comforter that they put on the bed was stained with BLOOD (it also took them approx 25 minutes to respond when they said they was sending someone immediately). This is totally unacceptable. The restaurant was o.k. if you like to only eat and not have anything to drink with your meal. We waited 15 minutes one morning for the wait staff to ask us what we wanted to drink. Oh yeah one more thing, Don't make a long distance call from your room because it cost me 5.14 to just connect the call and .89 for each additional minute. I used think Hilton hotels we great but now I will probably never stay in one again.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Johnstown PA
Reviewed January 15, 2006

My daughter and I stayed one night for the United States Equestrian Federation's Horse of the Year dinner and we loved it! Such a gracious old building, updated but maintaining the feel of the '30's.
Our room was HUGE with a great view of the river and the stadium.The bathroom was a little on the small side but I didn't see that as a problem. The beds were very comfortable with top grade linens.
Every staff member we dealt with was pleasant and helpful. We used the valet parking and that was very convient and easy to use.
Food was excellent and very nicely presented.
I would stay in this hotel again and will recommend it to my friends!

• Stayed January 2006
1 Thank Beth T
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 2, 2005

Prior to my trip to Cincinnati, I spent a great deal of time researching which hotel to stay at. I went with the reviewers of this site and stayed at the Netherland Hilton. Boy was I disappointed!!!

The art deco is great there, as well as the bar, but that is where the compliments stop. I will outline the problems that I had below:

Rooms: We paid market rate for the room (ie no special deals). The room we stayed in was very small. Think mid to low end New York City hotel size. I will say that the small bathroom was updated w/a deep tub and one free standing sink. However, the room itself had a queen bed that was the most uncomfortable bed that I have ever slept on. The website claims they have "Hilton Beds". If a very, VERY soft bed that hops all over the place when the other person moves is their "Hilton Bed", then I will no longer be able to stay at Hiltons. Literally, after four (4) days, my back was in pain (and I have never had back problems)! I was so ready to leave, just so I could get a good night's rest.

Parking: According to their website, self parking is $15.00/day. It doesn't menion that self parking is very inconvenient and does NOT have in/out privileges. Thus really, valet is the only way to go unless you are not going to drive while staying at the hotel.

I will never stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ohio
Reviewed August 11, 2005

Just got back from a trip to Cinci July 22-25th, and had a fabulous time. We were absolutely awed by the Netherland Plaza, located downtown in the Carew Tower. We were treated like royalty by all staff, very professional, friendly and "Hiltonesque". When you check in, grab one of the little black & white booklets on the history and a walking tour of the hotel--definately explore!!

The brass, marble and Brazilian rosewood panelling throughout are stunning. Wander around and check out the Hall of Mirrors, the mezzanine, and eat or drink (or both) at the Palms!! There is a beautiful fountain and a grand piano with music in the evening. The bartender was great, catering to my three kids' with panache (12, 9, and 7).

When you are in the Palms, look up at the murals on the ceiling, and try to find the hidden "outline" of the Carew Tower which is in each painting! The Hall of Mirrors was decorated for a wedding the night we looked, and it was absolutely breathtaking.

Walk to Fountain Square in the evening and check out the free entertainment there. Also, there are some nice and reasonable restaurants adjacent to the square. The Cincinnati Zoo and Kings Island were fun, too (it was 100 degrees both days!).

By the way, our room was huge, and the beds were sumptuous--THE most comfortable bed in a hotel--EVER!

We will be making this an annual trek!

5 Thank scorpio5