“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Cincinnati
Kansas City
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Frist, this is an amazing hotel. If you like history, this is the hotel for you. The pros: it is downtown, there is ample parking ($15/daily) across the street, it is easy to navigate and get around, staff was extremely friendly, shopping and restaurants nearby. Cons: our room was a little small (we had a pack-and-play), but not terrible, the bed was not a king as requested, there is a party venue down the street that played loud music, but tolerable.

We should have requested a larger room as our friends with a child did when we got there. They were accommodating for our friends, we just didn't think about it. We really enjoyed the staff. They were friendly and answered all our questions.

I would recommend this hotel if you are visiting Cincinnati and want to stay in a fun location.

Room Tip: Request a larger room if you need one. Ours was smaller, but OK.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Charging for internet connectivity in this day is about as class-less as it gets...you can get free WIFI at Motel 6 or McDonalds...your policy is cheap and class-less for a fine, classy hotel. Waited 30 minutes for someone to come take bags to valet parking...After 30 minutes I called and they said it would be another 10 to 15 minutes...we dragged our own 9 bags to valet parking...dreadful service for a classy hotel...extremely displeased with both these issues and will not stay at a Hilton again because of this lack of respect and service... I have the feeling this is a Hilton Policy issue and not Netherland Plaza issue since when I asked about the interned connectivity issue at front desk, the clerk read response from a computer screen instead of speaking to me directly, which further irritated me. I am extremely displeased with the service I received during my stay at the Netherland Plaza!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
May 24, 2013

Dear Daniel R:

Thank you for speaking with me this morning regarding my correspondence to you and your experince at our hotel. I appreciad the addtional perspective you added.

Let me begin by again expressing our apology for your dissatisfaction.

As we discussed, the hotel offers complimentary wireless Internet service in the hotel lobby and in the restaurant. In addition, we have a complimentary business office in the hotel's lobby that is also accessible to our customers.

Thank you too for reiterating your observations about our front desk agent who checked you into the hotel. While I regret that he didn't make consistent eye contact with you, he was reviewing your account to see if you had purchased or were otherwise eligible for complimentary wireless Internet servicin the your guestroom. Nevertheless, we regret that this was a concern.

Thank you again and safe travels.

May 17, 2013

Dear Daniel R:

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this morning. And thank you for complete our electronic guest evaluation form.

As a former Cincinnatian, I would welcome the chance to hear more about your experience. As I noted in our brief conversation, I was not aware that you had experienced a long delay with our bellman as you departed the hotel. From your description, it is obvious that our team did not call to apprise you of this delay. As I noted, we will remove $50.00 from your guestroom folio as a gesture of good faith in this matter.

I will be in and out of the office throughout the afternoon. I would welcome your additional feedback.

When your travel plans return you to Cincinnati, please contact my Assistant Julie Heink at Julie.Heink@Hilton.com and reference this letter. We will be happy to oversee your reservation and insure that your stay is very comfortable.

Cc: Matthew Coffey, Assistant General Manager
Julia Morgan, Director of Front Office Operations

May 17, 2013

Dear Daniel R:

Thank you for taking the time to speak with a member of our front office team during your stay. I wanted to take this opportunity to respond to you personally.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati with the Corbett/Wahler Wedding. As a leisure traveler, your comments are very important to us.

Please accept my apologies in addition to our team mates for the concerns that our pricing for guestroom Internet service caused you. We offer complimentary service in the hotel’s lobby and restaurant areas as well as through our business office in the hotel’s lobby. Our pricing for this service is comparable to our full service competitors in this market. And we find that many travelers are using their own Internet services and would prefer the lowest, unbundled guestroom rate. Nevertheless, we regret that this was a concern.

If you would like to review the matter further, please contact me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com.

Cc: Matthew Coffey, Assistant General Manager
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for a conference, the hotel is absolutely stunning especially in the bar area and the restaurant. The rooms are exceptionally large for an older hotel and the bathrooms as well. Was really surprised by the amount of space in the rooms.
The hotel staff were extremely helpful - love staying at the HIlton! Provided me a disposable razor when I discovered I forgot one.
The only thing I would not recommend and hence the 4 stars - was the food at the hotel bar - perhaps it was what we ordered, but the lobster salad was far too salty and the other things we ordered were also not good. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to eat at the restaurant - I think the food might have been better than the bar food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for a great view of the city Rooms are large and comfortable
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cuba,N.Y.
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We were traveling back from Florida and decided to check out the new casino in Cincinnati. We stayed at the Hilton because they are part of the shuttle service to the casino. I would probably love this place if I were spending time just to visit Cincinnati, but it isn't good for a spur of the moment overnight. We didn't want to use the valet park for $25.00, so did the self park for $15.. I don't recommend this because the trip with luggage from the self- park is long and difficult. It's worth the extra $10. and tip if you don't want the hassle. We couldn't wait around for the shuttle, so walked to the casino, an easy walk and the streets appeared safe. Certainly, the hotel is beautiful, but I wish they would update the mattresses. The bathroom is tiny and old with a pedestal sink, but little room for bathroom kits. We wanted a small bite to eat around 8PM but found very little take out available in walking distance . I realize that we did not fully appreciate the wonderful aspects of this hotel, but I wrote this review for those who, like us, travel frequently and are just passing through the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank marigr
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
May 19, 2013

Cuba,N.Y.

Dear Cuba,N.Y.:

Thank you for taking the time to write about your overnight stay with us on TripAdvisor. I appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your "quick" overnight trip to Cincinnati as you were traveling home.

Thank you too for sharing your experience with self parking in the nearby Tower Place parking garage. While your comments don't make mention of it, we do provide baggage service from the Race Street doorman for the hotel. Nevertheless, I apologize that this was an area of concern.

Thank you too for sharing your suggestion that we add to the shelf space in the bathroom. We are reviewing options for this and hope to make an improvement in the near future to address this concern.

Should your travel plans return you to Cincinnati, please contact me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com and I'll be happy to oversee your reservations for you.

Columbia City, Indiana
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were a little small but given that its a historical hotel it's to be expected. The staff was amazingly nice and very helpful. Very beautiful lobby. Location is within walking distance to stores and restaurants .

• Stayed March 2013
Austin, Tx
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was recently in Cincinnati for work and had the good fortune to be booked at the Hilton Netherland Plaza. This hotel is a beautifully preserved masterpiece of the Art Deco era, but has been tastefully updated. It is located in the heart of downtown within walking distance of many fine restaurants, but also with easy access to the local freeways. The staff was very helpful (as are most folks in Cincinnati) and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. If you do stay here, ask about the legend of the "Lady in Green."

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

OHIO
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Checkin was very good, room spacious. However our room had a metal 4-poster with a metal horizontal bean subbing for a headboard. As a result it was completely uncomfortable for reading or watching TV in bed. The hotel attempts to fix this by providing a lot of pillows (6 pillows with pillowcases, not a very green solution) but they don't stay in place. They do not provide a TV channel to get local sports (we wanted to watch the Reds on Fox Sports Ohio) in room or bar. With tax and parking, the room was $200/nt, poor value.

Room Tip: Maybe a different type of bed is available
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
May 14, 2013

HappyTraveler

Dear HappyTraveler:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

Let me begin by thanking you for selecting our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati!

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the four poster bed guestroom that you stayed in. We have not had a comment regarding the configuration of this bed previous to receiving yours. We apologize that this was a concern for you. There are only two guestrooms in the hotel that are equipped this way and we will take this opportunity to review them both. Thank you.

With respect to our televisions, we offer Fox Sports Ohio as one of the choices on our televisions. Our signal is high definition delivered through our flat screen television sets. With regards to the guide, on the television remote control, there is a button marked “guide” that provides the channel selection information that you were seeking. I apologize that you had difficulties with this.

Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back whenever your travel plans return you.