“Nice weekend”

Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Cincinnati
River Forest, Illinois, United States
“Nice weekend”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just returned from a two-day family (4 people) Easter weekend stay. First class all the way. An elegant classic hotel. Very reasonable room rate. Good location just off Fountain Square. Jr. Suite is a big room with couch and chair. Bathroom is a little on the small side. Had a nice south (river) view. Concierge (Ron) contacted me personally by email before arrival, which is a nice touch. Belvedere Club (for included breakfast package and evening snacks) is nice and has a balcony. We'll be back.

Room Tip: South side is river view. Jr. Suite was a corner room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I would have rated this hotel with full marks except for my experience with checking into the hotel. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

I was in Cincinnati for a conference at the Duke Convention center which is steps away and really convenient. The hotel is also extremely close to the downtown attractions. I found that the staircase to get to the check-in desk was really inconvenient for someone with a suitcase, however, once I found the elevators, it helped.

My bad experience was with the gentleman that checked me in. He was efficient, however, practically called me a liar concerning my room rate. My company had booked the hotel in connection to the conference and had secured me a military rate. When I checked in, I showed the gentleman my military ID as required and then he told me that I needed to show him a government credit card. I explained to him that I would not be using a government credit card for my stay and therefore, did not bring it with me. He said that in order for me to get the rate, I would need to produce the card. I then informed him that I had never seen that requirement on any of my booking paperwork - including my emails from the hotel, hilton honors etc. and he told me he wanted to see my paperwork. I asked him if he was serious and he said yes, he wanted me to show him my emails. I then got out my iphone and started to pull up my email account. The internet reception on my phone was taking a long time and he waited. There is really bad phone service in the hotel lobby. I asked him to wait while my phone roamed for service. I showed him the screen of my phone which was still "working" and he looked impatient. After a couple of minutes of waiting for my phone to struggle to find service, he handed me my keys and dismissed me. I asked him if that was it, and he said yes.

My room was small but very nice. It was only me so the size was not a factor. It would have been very tight if I had taken my husband on the trip. I have to say that the housekeeping staff are awesome! My room was spotless the entire 4 days I was there. Nothing was missed. I had breakfast delivered to the room one morning and it was a great experience. The food was warm and delicious and the staff member who delivered it was wonderful. I left my suitcase with the bell hop on the last day so that I could attend one final session at the conference before my shuttle came to take me to the airport and the staff were friendly and efficient. One of the doormen was really friendly, the others ignored me.

I really wish that I had not been treated so rudely on arrival - I would have most probably spent more time at the hotel. I did not feel welcome enough to explore the hotel's restaurants and common areas after my experience which was a real shame. It is a really lovely hotel designed in classic art deco.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, mine was at the end of the hallway and I rarely heard anyone.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
March 28, 2013

Sortiz

Dear Sortiz:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati in conjunction with a convention at the Duke Energy Convention Center.

Please also accept my most sincere apology for the difficulties that you described regarding your check-in experience. I was disappointed to read that as a member of our nation’s military, we did not handle your check-in smoothly. From your description, it sounds to me that our agent was asking for the payment method as a way to provide the required path for waving taxes that you may be exempt from as a Government traveler. We regret that we made you feel uncomfortable. Please feel free to contact me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com if you would like to review this further.

Beyond our apologies, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed many other aspects of your stay including our food services. I’ll be sure to share these thoughts with the appropriate members of our team!

Many thanks and safe travels!

Miami, FL
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had occasion to spend a night at the Netherland Plaza in conjunction with a business meeting. I must point out that it is one of the most beautiful hotels I’ve ever visited. It is extremely authentic art deco in design and it appears to be early French deco. The fact that it has been preserved in such an outstanding manner is truly amazing and a tribute to its owners. It is obviously a gem of Cincinnati of which I am sure they are very proud.

The group calling the meeting held a dinner in the Belvedere Room the evening before our meeting. I must comment that Maître’d, Charles Redmond, did an exquisite job in organizing his staff to present the food and beverages in a very delightful and old world fashion. Kudos to him and his staff. Also to the chef since the food was quite intriguing and delicious.

The hotel is quite old, but the rooms have been renovated and modernized whereby I had no complaint. I had the privilege of being in a junior suite which gave me a private bedroom and an additional seating room as well as two bathrooms; much more than I needed or used.

The staff was courteous, attentive and friendly. I highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting Cincinnati whether business or pleasure.

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Love this hotel! I was in a suite with a living room and private BR. Older hotel but I love the history of this hotel. Skywalk to Saks is also a great thing! Concierge was awesome in getting me in to a wonderful salon for a massage and hair appt. great room service! Great staff.....

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank lacleveland
Warrenville, Illinois
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I was in Cincinnati for and family party and decided to try the Hilton. It is an old hotel but very nicely appointed. The room was spacious with all the amenities. The staff was exceptional and friendly. No problems checking in or out. The lobby and common areas bring back the feel of when hotels were palaces. The middle of downtown location was great and easy to get around with shopping just next door. The view from the 24th floor was a wonderful view of the Ohio river and Kentucky on the other side

Room Tip: High floor facing the Ohio River.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was in Cincinnati for three days attending a conference. As others have indicated, some of the rooms are significantly smaller than others. I was lucky enough to be placed in a corner room with two queen beds. The room was more spacious than most typical hotel rooms and included a reading area with a recliner and reading lamp, as well as a desk. The bathroom was on the small side but functional.

The hotel, as it is fairly old, is full of charm. It is clean and well kept. Be sure to check out the hall of mirrors. Word is the food at the restaurant is excellent (though pricey, even by hotel standards), but I didn't have an opporunity to try it. All the staff that I interacted with were pleasant and helpful. There are a significant number of quality restaurants in the area within walking distance, both chain and local. An excellent location for anyone attending a conference, ball game, or anything else in the lower downtown area.

Be sure to go to the top of the adjacent Carew Tower (49th floor). It's well worth the $2 fee to get an unobstructed 360 degree view of the city.

Room Tip: Request a corner room, if possible. Rooms at higher levels offer great views!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
March 25, 2013

MacaroniDuck

Dear MacaroniDuck:

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel to TripAdvisor. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati with the American Counseling Association.

Thank you too for your excellent comments about the general condition and ambiance of our hotel. I’ll be sure to share these comments with the appropriate members of our team.

We are also delighted that you found the available restaurants in the area to your liking. And just for the record, Orchids at Palm Court is fabulous – but don’t take our word! It’s Cincinnati Magazine’s number one restaurant for the past five years running!

New York, NY
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Nothing bad about this place, large lobby with bar, nice large clean rooms, good location downtown if you have any business to conduct in the area. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again especially given the reasonable rates. I'm sure during the week this place is packed with other business travelers so I wouldn't be worried about getting a good night's sleep.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
March 25, 2013

WDave37

Dear WDave37:

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati. As a Business Traveler your comments are especially important.

We will be sure to share your comments regarding the cleaning of the hotel and the quality of our public spaces. We are pleased too that you found our rates to be “reasonable.” Please call on me if I can be of assistance to you in the future.