“Cool but old”

Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Cincinnati
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Cool but old”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Upgraded to junior suite but aside from the extra space and 2 bathrooms this hotel is tired. The Honors lounge was nice and offered some decent items. Noisy construction outside currently. And there seemed to be other noises everywhere.

1 Thank ZorroMerion
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
March 4, 2013

ZorroMerion

Dear ZorroMerion:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

Let me begin by thanking you for selecting our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati!

Thank you too for sharing your concern that the hotel is “tired.” While we don’t agree with your assessment, I’m happy to say that we will be refreshing the guestroom interiors this summer. We look forward to the improvements that this will bring to all of our travelers. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com or 513 564-6401.

Thank you again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back whenever your travel plans return you.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Korean first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Art deco decoration and historical building, definitely worth staying. Breakfast buffet is basic but great. In-house restaurant is the best of Cinci, according to critics ... And myself ;-) Rooms are good.

Room Tip: As high as you can, as noise isolation from windows is not very efficient.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed here for one night while attending a Miche Bag leadership retreat. Upon arrival, my fellow representative and I were upgraded to a suite. It was huge! It had two bathrooms which was great for us, we didn't have to worry about getting in each others way. There was a great sitting area with a Flat screen and there was also one in the bedroom. There were three big windows. We only wished he had more time to hang out and enjoy the room.

I can't say enough about the staff, they were so helpful and went out of their way to help us. Also, we had several meals and snacks while we were there, all of which were superb.

My only slight complaint is that the rooms could use a bit of updating, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

The hotel is located in the heart of downtown and has a lot of great history. If you get a chance, take a self guided or guided tour of the hotel. We did and it was really interesting. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are coming to downtown Cincy for any reason.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed for a weekend at the Hilton Netherland two weeks ago. Had a wonderful experience there 10 years ago and were really looking forward to it. The location is fantastic. Well, the lobby and the bar and restaurant are as beautiful as ever. Reminds me of the Drake in Chicago. But we were horrified at the room. The carpet, drapes and bedding had to have been there when we stayed before. They were ancient and the carpet was filthy. I have a lung condition so the thought of what was in that carpet was offputting to say the least. The bathroom was clean and not so dated but I would never stay there again unless I knew the rooms had been redone. If you go to Cincy, eat there or go have a drink to enjoy the main floor and then leave.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mob39604
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
March 1, 2013

MOB39604

Dear MOB39604:

Thank you for sharing your kind comments regarding the beauty of the hotel’s public spaces and restaurants. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed these aspects of your stay.

Thank you too for sharing your concerns regarding the condition of the guestrooms. We will be refreshing the interior of the guestrooms mid-year with new drapery treatments and seating surfaces. This compliments the work that we did last year to install flat screen, high-definition televisions and guestroom safes and refrigerators. If you would like to review the matter further, please feel free to contact me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com.

Dayton Ohio
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is my second stay at the Hilton and will probably be my last. I can't fault the staff or the amenities. They were both fine. Plus the location is so convenient. The big issue I had was with the noise. We were assigned room 2107. After settling in I noticed a rattling noise coming from the bathroom vent in the bedroom. Even with the door closed you could hear it. We called down stairs and were promptly moved to room 2134. There must be a water pipe behind the wall in the bathroom living area as it ran nonstop. I closed the door and turned on the AC to drowned out the sound. We could also hear the TV from the room above us. I know it's an old building, and you can expect some creaks ands such but this was too much. The odd thing is my previous stay I had no noise issues at all. I guess my advice is stay away from the 21st floor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
MyTurbo66

Dear MyTurbo66::

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for again choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati. As a leisure traveler, your comments are very important to us.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with your first guestroom, 2107 and a “rattling noise” coming from the vent. We will return to this room shortly and investigate and resolve this issue. We will also dig into your comment about the sound of constantly running water in guestroom 2134. By your description, this sounds like it is a valve that has opened which should not be. Thank you for letting us know.

Please accept my apologies for the concerns that this stay caused you. Should your travel plans bring you back to downtown Cincinnati, please contact me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com and reference this letter. I will be happy to oversee your reservations and insure that your stay is a comfortable and restful one.

Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a convention in Cincinnati. I must say this is a beautiful historic hotel. They do have great elevator service. They are quick and all were up and running. However, once you left the main lobby for the guest rooms, the hall way was very faded and dark with poor lighting. The guest room we had was fine, but creepy. It had a jacuzzi tub which I never used and the bathroom itself was very small with no counter space. The room itself needed updating on the appearance. Faded wall paper, 80's style lacquer furniture. Poor lighting. I felt like I was at grandma's house from the 1950's. Had an incident where at 6:00 a.m. someone pounded on our door from the bell desk. I went to look out the peeper and it was blacked out. That freaked me out, however, the hotel did fix it that day. I called downstairs and confirmed they bellman had gone to the wrong room.

The location was great everything within walking distance. The concierge even gave us a great coupon for dinner the one night. Just happened to ask us where we were headed and had a $10.00 off coupon per person on a party of 15 was greatly appreciated.

All in all, I would stay here again. I just hope they can update the rooms. Its all cosmetic, but I am accustomed to a more modern room.

The other thing that creeped me out was there was a connecting room to ours and the door just seemed like anyone could come through it at any time. In the hallway, the door next to ours was also open all the time revealing 2 other room doors. It was just strange.

Room Tip: they only have a small handful of rooms with a King size bed. It cost me $9.00 more a night for my...
February 27, 2013

NancyF

Dear NancyF:

Let me begin by thanking you for again choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati. As a convention traveler, your comments are very important to us.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the beauty of our hotel and the fast elevator service that you experienced. We are also happy to know that our Concierge offered assistance for you with a discount to the restaurant you were going to.

Please accept my apologies for the concerns that you raised about your guestroom. We have finalized new designs for the interiors of the rooms and plan to begin the installation process late this spring with completion in early summer. We look forward to the improvements that this will bring. We also regret the concern that you raised with the connecting door – these doors are equipped with locks on both sides to prevent an unwanted access to the room.

We also apologize for the intrusion our staff members knock on your guestroom door at 6:00 am which was in error. We will certainly review this with the team member involved.

Please accept my apologies for the concerns that this stay caused you. Should your travel plans bring you back to Cincinnati, please contact me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com and reference this letter. I will be happy to oversee your reservations and insure that your stay is a comfortable and restful one.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Self parking is across the street in a large shopping center with skywalk to hotel. Great stores, but I wish the Saks wasn't write off of the skywalk, makes it very difficult to walk by, hah. Friendly staff, no upgrade given but the room I had was fantastic. Concierge lounge was very good, attendant was friendly. Food downstairs was good, particularly enjoyed the Charcuterie plate.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business