“Think twice if you are light sleeper”

Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Cincinnati
Dayton Ohio
“Think twice if you are light sleeper”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is my second stay at the Hilton and will probably be my last. I can't fault the staff or the amenities. They were both fine. Plus the location is so convenient. The big issue I had was with the noise. We were assigned room 2107. After settling in I noticed a rattling noise coming from the bathroom vent in the bedroom. Even with the door closed you could hear it. We called down stairs and were promptly moved to room 2134. There must be a water pipe behind the wall in the bathroom living area as it ran nonstop. I closed the door and turned on the AC to drowned out the sound. We could also hear the TV from the room above us. I know it's an old building, and you can expect some creaks ands such but this was too much. The odd thing is my previous stay I had no noise issues at all. I guess my advice is stay away from the 21st floor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
MyTurbo66

Dear MyTurbo66::

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for again choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati. As a leisure traveler, your comments are very important to us.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with your first guestroom, 2107 and a “rattling noise” coming from the vent. We will return to this room shortly and investigate and resolve this issue. We will also dig into your comment about the sound of constantly running water in guestroom 2134. By your description, this sounds like it is a valve that has opened which should not be. Thank you for letting us know.

Please accept my apologies for the concerns that this stay caused you. Should your travel plans bring you back to downtown Cincinnati, please contact me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com and reference this letter. I will be happy to oversee your reservations and insure that your stay is a comfortable and restful one.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Korean first
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a convention in Cincinnati. I must say this is a beautiful historic hotel. They do have great elevator service. They are quick and all were up and running. However, once you left the main lobby for the guest rooms, the hall way was very faded and dark with poor lighting. The guest room we had was fine, but creepy. It had a jacuzzi tub which I never used and the bathroom itself was very small with no counter space. The room itself needed updating on the appearance. Faded wall paper, 80's style lacquer furniture. Poor lighting. I felt like I was at grandma's house from the 1950's. Had an incident where at 6:00 a.m. someone pounded on our door from the bell desk. I went to look out the peeper and it was blacked out. That freaked me out, however, the hotel did fix it that day. I called downstairs and confirmed they bellman had gone to the wrong room.

The location was great everything within walking distance. The concierge even gave us a great coupon for dinner the one night. Just happened to ask us where we were headed and had a $10.00 off coupon per person on a party of 15 was greatly appreciated.

All in all, I would stay here again. I just hope they can update the rooms. Its all cosmetic, but I am accustomed to a more modern room.

The other thing that creeped me out was there was a connecting room to ours and the door just seemed like anyone could come through it at any time. In the hallway, the door next to ours was also open all the time revealing 2 other room doors. It was just strange.

Room Tip: they only have a small handful of rooms with a King size bed. It cost me $9.00 more a night for my...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
February 27, 2013

NancyF

Dear NancyF:

Let me begin by thanking you for again choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati. As a convention traveler, your comments are very important to us.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the beauty of our hotel and the fast elevator service that you experienced. We are also happy to know that our Concierge offered assistance for you with a discount to the restaurant you were going to.

Please accept my apologies for the concerns that you raised about your guestroom. We have finalized new designs for the interiors of the rooms and plan to begin the installation process late this spring with completion in early summer. We look forward to the improvements that this will bring. We also regret the concern that you raised with the connecting door – these doors are equipped with locks on both sides to prevent an unwanted access to the room.

We also apologize for the intrusion our staff members knock on your guestroom door at 6:00 am which was in error. We will certainly review this with the team member involved.

Please accept my apologies for the concerns that this stay caused you. Should your travel plans bring you back to Cincinnati, please contact me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com and reference this letter. I will be happy to oversee your reservations and insure that your stay is a comfortable and restful one.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Self parking is across the street in a large shopping center with skywalk to hotel. Great stores, but I wish the Saks wasn't write off of the skywalk, makes it very difficult to walk by, hah. Friendly staff, no upgrade given but the room I had was fantastic. Concierge lounge was very good, attendant was friendly. Food downstairs was good, particularly enjoyed the Charcuterie plate.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Unfortunately we were only passing through but we will definitely return to stay again. Historic, art-deco hotel with great service. Our upgraded (double queen with a sitting area) room was plenty big and we liked the Belvedere Club for a snack and breakfast. Just walking around the hotel was a treat to see the architecture and the framed photos of bygone eras. It is also great that you can use the gym and lap pool in the bottom of the Carew Tower. Parking was simple with valet or even the self-park has an enclosed walkway to access the hotel. This very mcuh reminded me of other wonderful, historic hotels like the Brown in Louisville or the Peabody in Memphis. We will stay here again and recommend it to anyone staying downtown.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
boston
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Two things to review - the building - Wow. what an awesome throwback to the end of the gilded age, still largely intact and upgraded. Very very nice, like staying in a rare museum. The Hotel - Hotels services were very good. Roooms are nice, bedding high quality, breakfast good, standard amenities offered at most major brand hotels. A little disappoined that the room climate control would not allow the fan to stay on all night, and the switching on/off thiing always bothers me. Minor inconvenience. If the gym is your thing, this hotel has a regular, public membership gym in the lower level. What that means is, while perhaps a little less privacy, the choices of machines and universal stations is unrivaled. Litterally dozens of machines of every variety. Some are getting a little worn, and the lack of individually mounted TVs hurts a little (keeps me on the machines for a little longer). But that said great gym great workout. Restaurants have affordable options, the skywalk connecting the hotel with many other parts of the downtown is also a great amenity. Guests might get a little cramped in the small bathrooms, but when you have a hotel so religious to every original detail, it is across the board. Thankfully, all plumbing and in room amenities are first rate. Some wear and tear here and there, so I will stop short of a 5. But overall this hotel is worth a stop and even worth the effort to come to Cincy for a night specifically, if you are in the area already.

Room Tip: try to go to at least 14th floor, if you get an outside corner room they are quieter. Also one that...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
February 21, 2013

MoparManiac

Dear MoparManiac:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor regarding your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati.

Thank you for your enthusiastic review of the hotel’s historic character and nature. We are delighted to know that you appreciated these attributes of our property! We are also very pleased to know that you enjoyed our services overall and especially, The Gym, our 3,000 square foot, purpose built health club available to our guests without cost.

Thanks too for your observations on the “wear and tear” that you noticed. As I write to you, we are finalizing improvements to the seating and window treatments in our guestrooms. We anticipate completing this work around mid-year this year.

Thank you again and please call on me if I may be of assistance at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com or 513 564-6401.

Managing Director
Albany, New York
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I stay at this hotel everytime I have a meeting with Procter and Gamble. They are right down the street and it's an easy walk. When I checked in the guy at the desk told me they had recently renovated the rooms and I should be quite pleased. I admit it could've used an upgrade. They put me in a suite on the 20th floor. Great view of the river. The suite was poorly remodelled in my opinion. All they did was remove the wall between two rooms. So it had a bedroom, living room and two bathrooms. Both bathrooms were quite smalll and I kept bumping into walls and the door. The shower curtain is not of the curved type so when I showered I kept touching the curtain which I find a bit revolting. How long have curved shower curtain rods been used in hotels, 15-20 years?

Overall I think the hotel is a pretty good value and I'll stay there again. I just wish they would do a better job of upgrading rooms if they're going to spend the money.

I didn't eat in the restaurant but will next time. The concierge lounge was decent.

Stayed February 2013
February 21, 2013

Muffinhead2580

Dear Muffinhead2580:

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati with Procter & Gamble.

Thank you too for recounting your check-in story. I’m sure that what our agent was referring to was last fall’s re-wiring of the hotel for high definition television and wireless Internet service. We also installed a new credenza to support our LG HD televisions and this also incorporated a guestroom safe and refrigerator.

We are as I write to you, finalizing improvements to the seating and window treatments in our guestrooms. We anticipate completing this work around mid-year this year.

My apologies for the confusion and please call on me if I may be of assistance at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com or 513 564-6401.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Beautiful hotel in the heart of downtown. Walking distance to great shops and restaurants. Great views, Exceptional service. Treat yourself to a drink in the fancy bar - the drinks and appetizers are wonderful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple