“Enjoyable stay”

Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
Dayton, Ohio
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here this past New Year's Eve and had a great experience. Check-in was efficient and pleasant. We were fortunate enough to get a corner room on the 18th floor with a great view of Fountain Square. The room was large, very clean and well-decorated. The bedding was of good quality and very comfortable. The bathroom was decent size and immaculate, but there was very little counter space to put anything. We had dinner in the hotel at Orchids at Palm Court and loved it. The architecture and high ceilings conveyed a feeling of old-world elegance. Food and service were top-notch and made for a memorable stay. We would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
January 28, 2013

Helen5176

Dear Helen5176:

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor of your New Year’s Eve visit with us. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your celebration.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay. We are especially pleased to know that you had a chance to dine with us at Orchids at Palm Court! I’ll be sure to share your comments regarding your stay with our entire team.

Thank you and please call on us whenever your travel plans return you to Cincinnati.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Korean first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Although we were not staying at the Hilton, we did stop in for a visit to the bar. As soon as you enter the hotel through the doors, you realize that you are in a unique place. All the beautiful woodwork and brass details and terrific art deco design is carried through the lobby and into the bar and restaurant area. The original ceiling paintings have been preserved and also continue on to the upper walls in this large area with very high ceilings overhead. This hotel interior is a feast for the senses. The large stage on one end of the room featured a terrific jazz ensemble as well. The wait staff were impeccable in manner and service yet friendly and personable. We felt special in this special place that provides a really memorable experience. It was a pleasant surprise to find this hotel in downtown Cincinnati comparable to the finest preserved hotels in Manhattan! This is not to be missed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed here many times....one of the most beautiful hotels you will ever stay at from a architecture standpoint. Truley a landmark in Cinci. The restaurant is also very good. The only downside is since it is such and old hotel, each and every room is unique...the space in each room is different than the last one you were in I'm sure of it. It igives it a neat flare, but some rooms are VERY SMALL. This hotel took a long time to get HD TV's and wireless, but I am happy to report it has them now!!! The staff is very friendly and service is great. I enjoy my trips to Cinci in a big part to this hotel and staff.

Room Tip: Make sure and ask how big the room they are putting you in is...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, January 25, 2013

M N

Dear M N:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor review on your recent stay with us. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for again choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati. As a returning guest, your comments are especially important!

Thank you too for your patience while we made the transition to flat screen, high definition television service and wireless Internet service. We are delighted that these improvements are installed and are looking forward to the additional improvements in the guestroom soft goods that are coming soon!

Please call on me anytime I can be of assistance to you at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our queen room was nice, but small. The bathroom was really small. I did notice mold on the bathtub tile. Ask for a view of the river. We had a nice breakfast buffet at the restaurant. We stayed here, because the shops that were attached to the hotel would give us something extra to do at night. I was very disappointed that most of stores were out of business or had moved. There were shady people and vagrants wandering around the tower and sky walks. I never saw any security. Also, we tried to valet park, but with a F250 truck, we were told that there was overnight parking a few blocks away. The manager at the lot made us go over at 8 am every morning to pay for the day. That stinks! Probably will stay at the Hyatt next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.

Cindy H

Dear Cindy H:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay in TripAdvisor. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let met begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati.

It was disappointing to read your comments regarding the cleanliness of your guestroom bathroom. If you would like to contact me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com or 513 564-6401 I will be happy to address this issue.

Thank you too for your comments regarding shopping in the nearby Tower Place Mall. We are happy to say that the City of Cincinnati has stepped in on this project. We look forward to a redevelopment plan for this important city asset.

Please accept my apologies too that you had difficulty parking your truck. Unless the vehicle was oversized, we should have been able to accommodate your need. Again, please contact me and I’ll be glad to address this for you.

Thank you again and I look forward to speaking with you.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Netherlands Plaza for one night for a friend's wedding. The room was clean, the rate was very reasonable, and check in/out was easy. However, I really wanted to be sure to post online about their customer service. I'm at the beginning of my 2nd trimester of pregnancy, and am still dealing with morning sickness (aka, all the time sickness). I wasn't able to eat much at the wedding, and was having a hard time keeping anything down. We got back to our room after midnight and I called down to ask if it was possible to order something from room service, but unfortunately the kitchen was closed. I asked the front desk if there was somewhere nearby that my husband could go to to pick up Saltines or something because I wasn't feeling well, and the nice guy at the front desk said he would figure something out for us. 5 minutes later he showed up with a plate of crackers for me! We didn't even have to leave the room! I figured I would get charged $15 the next day on the bill, but there was no charge. I wish I would have caught his name so we could have left a note for the manager about how wonderful the service was, and how this person really went above and beyond. If I ever go to the Cincinnati area again, I'll be staying here.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed at the Netherland Plaza again, this time for a work conference. The hotel itself is quite nice...has an old school vibe to it, centrally located in downtown and connected to shopping and a skywalk. Checked in and was told I was upgraded due to my diamond status. If this room was an upgrade then a standard room is a closet! Outside of the Ws I have stayed at in NYC and San Fran I have never seen such a small room. Couldnt even open the bathroom door fully before hitting the toilet, which is gross if ou thin about it.
Pros: location, great beds and pillows, great conference room and catering
Cons: room size, breakfast at concierge lounge was terrible and valet parking is a bit confusing. Had to circle around the block since the attendant isn't at the front door (there was a sign, but I didn't see it). Also, you can hear the water running through pipes when everyone gets up to take a shower. Kinda killed my typical 15 minute snooze after wake up call.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade or you'll be sharing closet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
January 19, 2013

JimJ321

Dear JimJ321:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati. As a Diamond HHonors customer, your comments are especially important to us.

Thank you too for the many positive comments you made regarding your stay. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the hotel and our services.

We appreciate your additional feedback regarding the size of our bathrooms and the upgrade that was provided to you as a Diamond HHonors member. I would be happy to address this as well as hear your additional feedback regarding Belvedere Club. You may reach me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com to do so.

We also noted your comment regarding the sound of "running water" in your guestroom. While I don't know the room that you stayed in, we did have a Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) fail on one of the hotel risers. This is being corrected this coming week and will address this problem. Again, I'd be happy to speak with you directly.

Thank you again and please call on me whenever your travel plans return you to Cincinnati.

USA
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We just returned from our most recent stay at the Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza. Since discovering this treasure a couple of years ago, I make sure to visit at least twice a year because it is an experience that is worth repeating...often! From the moment you step into the lobby, until you bid good-bye, there is only outstanding service coming from the entire Netherland staff. The hotel is absolutely lovely - it is like stepping back in time with the French Art Deco design showing up at every turn and plenty of nostalgia from the past showcased around the hotel. The food at the Orchids at Palm Court is fine dining at its best, while the Bar at Palm Court is welcoming to everyone: guests, tourists, sports enthusiasts (yes they show ballgames), shoppers, etc. I look forward to the gym and pool in the lower level – they are the best we’ve encountered and I don’t even like to work out! With the easy access by Skywalk to the “just the right size” Macy’s, restaurants and other stores, you really never have to venture outside. Whether you plan on staying put in the hotel or venturing out, you can’t beat the location. I’m already wondering about my next reason to visit Cincinnati just so we can visit our beautiful old friend, the Netherland.

Mermaid1960

Dear Mermaid1960:

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your doing so!

Thank you very much for your excellent comments! As a returning guest, your thoughts are especially important to us. We are delighted to know that you found everything so convenient to the hotel. And especially pleased that you had occasion to enjoy both Orchids at Palm Court and the Bar at Palm Court during your stay! I’ll be sure to share your thoughts directly with the appropriate members of our team!

Thank you and please call on me whenever your travel plans return you to Cincinnati.