This Hilton provides potential guests with a classic trade-off. The guest floors and rooms need a major overhaul, but the common areas, amenities and location are top-notch.
The good news first….centrally located in the main business district, and connected via Skywalk to the nearby mall/restaurants; even better the hotel itself has a plethora of stores and restaurants in its own shopping arcade. Everything from a high-end men’s store to an old fashioned “luncheonette” complete with a Grandma like waitress with a traditional diner style beehive hairdo. The hotel staff, in true Midwestern fashion is very nice and aim to please with no attitude.
Hotel guests are permitted (no charge) to use the large fitness club located in the hotel’s mall. This gym is actually a 3rd-party run facility that locals pay to become members. Still it is several notches below a NYC/Boston Sports Club if you known those type of clubs. But still much nicer than a typical “hotel” gym. I believe they even have a pool, steam and sauna.
The amazing bar in the center of the hotel features their legendary lunchtime pasta bar, which I didn’t indulge in, but plenty of others did, as a long line formed before 12Noon. Allison the bartender knows all the local “gossip” for restaurant recommendations, etc.
Now for the bad part, the guests floors look every bit like the relic that the building itself is. My queen size bed room felt like a phone booth, I could barely take a shower and the room was decorated like it is still 1975, with wallpaper and a hard to use HVAC system. My bathroom door even featured an unusual looking “prison slot” at the bottom.
When attempting to do some paperwork, make sure you bring your own pen, as this hotel didn’t think to provide one for their guests. Speaking of work, the Computer Center's 2 computers appear 10 years old each. If you need to print something, bring a flashlight, as it appeared that when the printer was being used, the lights would flicker.
Hopefully, the recent news that the nearby Hyatt is going to spend $20M to renovate their hotel will motivate this Hilton to upgrade their guest floors and rooms, as again the common areas, etc. are mainly A quality.
So if you’re the type of traveler that doesn’t spend much time in the room, definitely stay here. If you’re the opposite, then perhaps I would look elsewhere until necessary upgrades are completed (hopefully).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1. Opened in 1931, this updated National Historic Landmark and charter member of Historic Hotels of America is one of the world's finest examples of French art deco in existence. Located within Carew Tower with shops & restaurants and centrally located across from Fountain Square. Within four blocks of 90+ shops, restaurants, bars and attractions including Great American Ball Park and Paul Brown Stadium. One block from Duke Energy Convention Center and connected via skywalk. Renovated guestrooms feature mini fridge, safe, wifi access, flat-screen tvs with expanded high-definition programming, new seating, sound dampening blackout curtains and soft goods. Award-winning on-site dining including Forbes Four Star rated Orchids at Palm Court, named #7 Best Restaurant in the USA (OpenTable, 2014); casual dining in The Grille at Palm Court; relaxed fare, signature cocktails & private label microbrew in The Bar at Palm Court. Complimentary access to The Gym at Carew Tower, a 13,000 sq ft fitness facility located in hotel's lower level, with a pool, Jacuzzi, 10+ treadmills, 10+ ellipticals, free weights and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza Hotel Cincinnati
- Hilton Hotel Cincinnati
- Cincinnati Hilton
- Hilton Netherland Plaza Hotel Cincinnati
- Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza Ohio