“Below average for downtown”

Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Cincinnati
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Below average for downtown”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I'm an everyday business traveler and found many aspects of this stay to be less than satisfactory. I'm fairly confident that the room I was provided was the smallest room I've stayed in. The rooms are also quite outdated, as the bathroom and closets are also small and inconveniently styled. The toilet has a kind of "gas station style" to it, not anything like you'd have in a home or hotel room. One of the telephones was also out of order.

I paid to have dry cleaning completed while on-site, and for some reason the bags were not brought back as advertised....I had to pick them up myself from the valet.

The worst part about the room was definitley the carpet....it had a very sticky feel to it. I've only experienced that in one other room (Holiday Inn, Terre Haute, IN). You should never expect that disgusting feeling in a name brand hotel located in a large city. I was repulsed to walk around in the room.

There were a few good items to note: The hotel provides access to a full gym in the lower level, free of charge. The front desk staff also seemed relatively friendly. The common areas of the hotel are well decorated and the lobby/restaurant have a good atmosphere at night.

1 Thank bretts11
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
October 4, 2012

Bretts11

Dear Bretts11:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor survey for your stay with us. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Thank you too for providing your feedback regarding your stay. I would be happy to speak with you personally in regards to your comments. You may reach me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com or 513 564-6401 to do so.

We apologize for the concern that our guest room bathroom commode caused. It is period correct for the hotel. We will certainly consider your feedback as we consider improvements to the hotel for the future. We are in the process of installing a new case good piece with refrigerator and safe along with an LG flat screen television. This furniture has made the small number of rooms we have remaining in our inventory of the size you described, more comfortable. Nevertheless, we regret that this was a concern.

Thank you too for sharing your concerns regarding our laundry service. We normally deliver laundry back to the guest rooms between 5:30 and 6:30 pm. Again, if you'd like to contact me, I'll be glad to review the matter in greater detail.

And finally, thank you for your "sticky carpet" comment. Unfortunately, the metering device for our air freshening process inadvertently went from 10% to 100%. This resulted in a much higher concentration of product being delivered to the carpet and resulted in the condition you have described. We have addressed this through a cleaning process and will continue to do so.

Thank you again and please feel free to contact me personally when your travel plans return you to Cincinnati.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Korean first
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We got this hotel by chance through Priceline "name your own price". How fortunate for us! I am interested in design and architecture so the Art Deco features and original finishes including Rookwood pottery were a delight. Dont miss the small guide book near the entry to the restaurant. It takes you through a "walking tour" of the hotel and explains key design elements along with the history of the hotel. Be sure to see the " Hall of Mirrors", the "Continental Room" and the Palm Court restaurant as areas of design interest.
The room was well appointed, clean and comfortable.
Staff were about the most friendly I've encountered anywhere. A special thanks to Amber who gave us a room with a view of the river and to Caleb who stopped us on our way out of the hotel to help us with driving directions.
Unfortunately I cannot name own price on Priceline for hotels in Cincinnati as I would want to make sure I got this hotel only.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room. Only downside was noise of rooftop units on other buildings. This loo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here during Oktoberfest. The location is excellent. The rooms are older and in need of updating, but it was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The rooms are small. Overall this was a good stay not exceptional.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Kytraveltrio
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
September 27, 2012

KYTravelTrio

Dear KYTravelTrio:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent visit to Cincinnati and the Netherland Plaza! We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati for Oktoberfest.

Thank you too for your comments on our guestrooms. We are pleased to know that you found your guestroom to be clean and the beds comfortable. We’ll certainly share this comment with our Housekeeping team. Thank you.

We are in the midst of making a variety of improvements to the guestrooms including a new piece of furniture that incorporates a guestroom safe and refrigerator. We are installing new LG high-definition televisions along with this. We anticipate completing these improvements in the next several weeks. We also look forward to many additional enhancements in the near future.

Thank you and if I may answer additional questions for you, please don’t hesitate to contact me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have stayed several times at this beautiful old hotel in downtown Cincinnati. The staff is always courteous and helpful, and the rooms are always clean. Any issues that I have had were always resolved quickly. Because it is a historic hotel, be prepared for very small bathrooms!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river (on the back of the hotel) and on the highest floor possible. The v...
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was my first visit here and stayed in a suite on the 22nd floor. First, the accommodations were very nice and my bed, which is usually too soft or too hard was just right. I forgot my razor and called housekeeping who delivered it within 5 minutes even though they were busy with a major event in town.

The decor at this property is unmistakably art deco in design and was quite impressive. From the steel elevator doors to the accents, this is a throwback to a congenial time and everywhere you look you can see these distinctive accents.

I ate at Orchards Restaurant which has won many awards including the AAA Four Diamond designation. The food was superb as was the service. This is one place you have to try if for no other reason than to enjoy the lavish decor and surroundings (also Art Deco).

I would like to go back to Cincinnati and if I do I will definitely stay at this property.

Room Tip: One side overlooks the skyline and I would ask for a room there.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed here one night while in town to watch the Reds play. When checking in, the front desk overheard us talking that it was my birthday. She upgraded us to a room with a view! We had 2 queen beds, which were heavenly. Plenty of pillows. Nice sized walk in closet. Small bathroom, but very clean, and oversized fluffy towels! Be careful not to knock items off the bathroom shelf, as they can end up in the toilet! Oopps! We ordered room service and had breakfast in bed! We both had "The American" breakfast/ $13 each. Total bill with tip was around $35. They called and made sure that we had everything we ordered, nice touch. We were on the 21st floor and could hear the music from the "Octoberfest" going on around the fountain area, but we didn't mind. It is such a convenient location to stay. Valet parking is $24. We were not in town long enough to use the fitness facilities, but seemed very nice. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2012
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We are Hilton Diamond members and have stayed at plenty of Hilton Hotels. I reserved the room and paid for a king size bed. When we checked in and entered our room we had what looked like two full size beds. My husband called the front desk and they sent someone up to show us another room. When we walked into the second room it was a smaller size room with one queen size bed. I was not happy because I had paid for a king bed and wanted a king bed. We were told that that was the king size offered in all Hilton Hotels. I knew that was a lie!!! After being disappointed and told there was nothing else available because it was New Years Eve and all the rooms were booked I figured I had to deal with the larger room and the two small beds. My look of disappointment must have bothered the young man that had showed us the other room because five minutes after being back in our room there was a knock on the door and we were escorted to a corner room with a king size bed. The bed was perfect and the room was even better. We were able to watch the New Year's Fireworks from our room and enjoyed the rest of our stay.
The front desk was not willing to help but I later found out that the young man that showed us around was a Bellboy and he personally went to the manager to further assist us. We thank him for his help!!!!

Room Tip: If something doesn't seem right ask to speak to a manager because you will not get service from...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
NetherlandPlaza, General Manager at Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
September 24, 2012

JLNorton

Dear JLNorton:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your New Year’s Eve stay with us. We appreciate the opportunity that this provides us to respond directly to you.

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Cincinnati. As a Diamond HHonors guest, your comments are very important to us.

Thank you too for sharing your experience with your guestroom assignment. I would be happy to review this with you if you would like to contact me with your confirmation number or the HHonors number that you stayed under. You may reach me at Michel.Sheer@Hilton.com to do so.

In the meantime I’m pleased to hear that a member of our guest services team responded to your request for a king size bed. I’ll certainly share your comment with our staff.