“Fabulous hotel for a room or an event”

Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
Cleveland, Ohio
“Fabulous hotel for a room or an event”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

Our first stay at this hotel was two years ago when we had booked rooms and a brunch for my daughter's wedding. The hotel is incredibly beautiful and well maintained. I was particularly impressed with the service of the catering manager, Kelly Carrigan who was efficient, well organized and always attentive to my needs. We had 50 out of town guests that stayed at this hotel and a brunch to organize. It was a challenge organizing everyone's accomodations because each guest had different needs with regard to their room size, length of stay, and parking needs. I couldn't have asked for a better person to work with! Everything went off without any problems and all the guests raved about their stay.
We booked a room over Christmas weekend this year while we were visiting our children and new grandbaby. There were 3 adults staying in our room. I booked a queen suite which had 2 queen beds in the bedroom and a separate living room area. It also had 2 full bathrooms - which was a wonderful surprise! Our price included the brunch everyday which was very good - with both hot and cold foods, fresh squeezed juices and they would special order an omlette if you desired. The biggest treat was the Sunday Brunch on Christmas! This was in the main dining room and the food stations covered half of the ballroom! The food and presentation were outstanding, as well as the service of the wait staff!
The pros of this hotel are the outstanding service in every aspect of the hotel and the beautiful decor. The cons are the parking - which is done through a separate garage company. But there are skywalks between the buildings so you don't ever have to go outdoors. The other con is the lack of free internet. If you want wireless in your room, it is an additional $10 a day. However, if you book a room with "Belvedere Privileges" you will have access to a special lounge with free computers, sodas, appetizers, and continental breakfast.

Room Tip: Book a room with "Belvedere Club Privileges". It is well worth the few extra dollars to g...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Korean first
New Orleans, LA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

I recently stayed here with my husband, and I'm not sure I would stay again. The staff was nice and the lobby was beautiful, but the rooms are very tired looking and extremely small. I understand that the hotel is old, but its time for an update. Also, the walls are so thin that we had trouble sleeping- you could hear everything, from the people next door to the traffic below (and we were on the 26th floor). I did like the location, but I think there are better places to stay in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank lous22
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

While traveling "home to Ohio" from Georgia this week, we spent a lovely night at this beautiful, historic, art deco hotel. With cold temps and snow falling, downtown Cincy was alive with people in town enjoying holiday concerts and decorations and the outdoor skating at Fountain Square. The hotel is across the street from the square so an easy walk for sure. Front desk staff was cheerful, professional and welcoming. The hotel bar and restaurant were jammed with well-dressed folks having fun and the gingerbread city set-up in the lobby is one of the finest you'll ever see. A welcome note from the hotel manager welcomed us to our room with warm chocolate chip cookies and cold milk. My wife preferred the chocolate-dipped strawberries that we're there too. Our room was well-appointed, clean and very comfortable. And the valet parking guys were gracious and happy to mind our car which was full of presents for the rest of the trip. We thank the hotel manager and staff for an enjoyable visit and look forward to our next trip to "Zinz-zinnati"!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

Since reviews are mixed let me say that Deluxe Room 2511 WAS Deluxe in every way. We had asked for upper level w/ river view in a quiet location and were nicely accommodated. Here are the particulars: the general area of the room is 15'x18' not counting entrance and bath. There are (2) closets - one is a walk-in that is 2.5' x 6' and the other is the standard clothes closet. We had (2) very comfortable beds w/ nice bedding and four pillows each, desk w/ chair, x-tra chair, club chair w/ ottoman, and large armoire w/ older style RCA TV. The bathroom was small but fine. Counter space is a 4' long shelf over the sink and water closet. The room had a coffee maker, which I really appreciate. We parked across the street on Race at the Tower Plaza for $15 (24 hrs.). As others have said the lobby is grand style Art Deco and is amazing. The Palms Court lounge was very busy w/ parties and locals. Walk to everything downtown or use the Skyway, lots of restaurants nearby and Fountain Square within sight. Check-in was smooth and friendly as was check-out. I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about this hotel. I would recommend it and would reserve there again on a return trip.

Room Tip: High level is always Best.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

I'll start by saying, overall I really enjoyed the hotel. The lobby area makes the hotel feel a little more grand than the actual rooms. Here are my pros and cons:

Positives:
1. The location! This hotel is in the heart of Cincinnati. You are literally next door to Saks and Macy's, walking distance to the square, several blocks away from the Arena and Stadium.
2. The lobby is absolutely beautiful. They did a great job of historically preserving the hotel and educating the traveller on the history. I was almost able to picture myself having tea with Winston Churchhill in the restaurant.
3. Great food options nearby. The #1 ranked restaurant in Cincinnati was in the lobby area of the hotel, Bruegger's bagels and Starbucks were a block away, Morton's Steakhouse and a Brazilian restaurant were attached to the hotel (shared with the Hyatt)
4. Access to a gym with a pool ( better equipped for men-- but have lots of elipticals)
5. Service was superb! Great management.
6. We stayed in an "executive room" and had access to the conceirge level. Very nice perk

Negatives:
1. Hotel internet has a cost. There are two computers in the lobby area that are for guests to use but they are SLOW. The computers in the conceirge level are only accessible during the hours that the lounge is open (breakfast and cocktail hour). I recommend using the computer at Kinko's for 20 cents a minute attached to the Hyatt
2. Parking is a pain! You have to pay $5 for any time under 12 hours (even if you are just in the room for an hour) and $15 for any time over 12 hours. We paid about $45 for the weekend to park!
3. The rooms DESPRATELY need an update. Someone posted in an earlier post that the "80's called and want their decor back" and I think the statement stands true. They were clean-- but incredibly disappointing.
4. The beds were just so-so. My pillow was too soft and the mattress uncomfortable. If I were to stay there again, I might bring my own pillow.

Bottom line: Would I stay here again? Depends on the rate. The location is AWESOME and the hotel has charm that the Hyatt next door does not. However, the rooms are nothing to write home about.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JustCallmeTourGuide
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

The elegance and sophistication of the art deco common areas is long forgotten by the time you reach the guest room floors. Tiny "suites", no bathroom counters and exposed pipes along the ceiling come as a cost when staying in a historic landmark.

What I cannot overlook is the 1980s decor in the rooms. As a Diamond Level traveler with Hilton, I received a suite near terribly noisy elevators, dirty carpet, out dated furniture, uncomfortable beds, chipped paint and sterile white walls. The small tube tv tells me that this hotel is way over due for an update. It was like staying in my parents bedroom from 1985, but much dirtier.
This hotel needs to update the rooms, period. No argument can be made about the room decor being antique, its just dated. Unless you must stay downtown, there are much better Hilton options very close.

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank regionalcoach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

I stayed on the Diamond Member floor but everybody and location within the hotel was a joy to interact with and I saw others being treated the same. From the valet, to the front desk to the greeting from the concierge as I walked by. People would ask if they could assist me if I looked lost. The valet always held the door. The night service staff remembered me from the day before and asked if I enjoyed the treats from the day before and made a special trip to see that I got more. The lounge had nice quality food and view. The cookies are to die for delicious and warm. The hours are very manageable. The hotel is attached to shopping and has a wonderful restaurant onsite as well as many options via closed skyways that would be nice. My room had a 2 person jacuzzi and was huge. Very quiet room even though I was by an elevator. VERY NICE property and staff!!!! Wish all Hiltons were so attentive to their client's needs and preference.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business