“Average Accomodations with Rude Staff”

Garfield Suites Hotel
Ranked #31 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Average Accomodations with Rude Staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

My room was fine- a few hairs in the bathroom, not especially nice or well-maintained, but adequate. The elevators were ridiculously slow. I wasn't looking for anything luxurious though- I was just there for one night so that I could attend a friend's wedding.

My experiences with the staff were what prompted me to write this review- several of the front desk staff were extremely rude. I would almost forgive them because they gave me the impression that they generally lack social skills of any sort; however, their jobs are predominantly customer service. I was leaning up against some planters out front while waiting for a cab and one of the staff yelled at me to get away from the flowers and then mumbled something about wondering if we sit on flowers where we're from, knowing that I was a guest at his hotel and was waiting for a cab. The thing is, I was not sitting on the flowers. At all. Regardless, I would have been happy to move if he had asked straightforwardly and politely. Clearly the flowers are very important to this particularly front desk person, but his reaction was surprising in how passive aggressive it was.

Then my cab showed up- the same front desk person has stated that a white van cab would be by to pick me up 10-15 minutes prior. A couple came out of the hotel and started looking around and seemed to want the cab, and I told them that it had been called for me. The front desk guy then ran out and told me that it was not my cab and that it was for them. I waited five more minutes and a yellow car from a different cab company showed up to pick me up. He gave someone else my cab and left me waiting in front of his hotel because I leaned near some flowers.

The other staff I encountered were not as horrible as this guy, but weren't especially nice or helpful. They generally seemed annoyed by other people.

Unless you want to risk dealing with someone with a pathological level of spite and flower rage, I suggest opting for a different hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jen C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Hartford City, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

As my title suggests...if I had paid $200 a night, this would probably be a 4 star reveiw. Since it was half that price, I can put up with the "dated" look the hotel has. A lot of reviewers really disliked the older furniture, but I say "as long as it is clean and not full of holes or tears, then I don't care how old it is".

It is a nice clean place with nice clean furniture. I can't wait to come back here and bring the family. Bedroom, Bathroom, Living Room and Kitchen. It was almost too much space for just me. I loved that the kitchen was stocked, so you could stay there a week and not have to bring dishes. The bedroom was seperate from the living room and it had 2 big closets. I actually sprung the extra $10 a night for a balcony (worth it for the great view!).

The fitness center was neat to have on the top floor. Had great views from up there while you are working out. It was a little small, but I got there early enough to get a treadmill, so no problem for me.

The Cafe/bar had great food and very friendly service. They were a little short-staffed that evening, but not enough to alter my opinion of the place.

It was right in the heart of downtown and I walked everywhere and left my car in the Garfield garage the whole time.

Room Tip: With the already low cost, I would spend the extra $10 for a balcony room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Vacation_Commander
Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Wow! What a great hotel! I normally stay at upscale hotels but the reviews in Tripadvisor convinced me to give Garfield Suites a shot. Boy, am I glad I did! The room had a King Size bed, and was about 650 square feet, with a separate bedroom with a FULL walk-in closet. There is a FULL kitchen with stove, oven (not one of those tiny travel types, but a full-size oven/range) and full-size refrigerator. I will concede that the furnishings are a little dated, but they were not worn-out, and the room was clean with a working thermostat. You frequent travelers know what I mean by that. It actually makes the room colder when you want it to be colder. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were so nice, I ordered the same ones online from the manufacturer!

Here are the special features that make the Garfield truly amazing:
- The price of the room was less than $100
- Parking was FREE (I was told it was because I booked it through Expedia, your mileage may vary)
- High speed Internet was fast and FREE
- The soft drinks in the coin-vending machines were 20 oz and were ONLY $1.25 each. That's less than the corner convenience store! Snack cakes and chips in the vending machines ranged from 50 cents to 90 cents.

The property is very convenient for all downtown attractions, less than 8 blocks from virtually everything. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. To summarize, if you are willing to overlook the slightly dated furnishings, you can enjoy 4 star amenities at a 3 star price, and I would go so far as to say a 3 star price from the '90s!

Room Tip: Request a king size bed. Queens seem to be more common.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank provoshane
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

We've stayed overnight, had a large one bedroom suite with a nice view on Downtown area. Parked our motorcycles by the entrance door so noworry and walked to a dining restaurant. Safe walking area, close to stadiums (within walking distance). Great people at the front desk too. Decor in the room is quite dated but we were not there for the decor, more for the downtown location. Would go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had a huge suite, 2 BR's a living room and a full kitchen. The decor was quite dated, but it was clean, and the staff was friendly.

The wireless was... slow.

The restaurant had a great breakfast.

The coffee in the room was the pits.

Room Tip: I visitied the penthouse rooms, and there balcony overlooking the skyline was REALLY UNIQUE (Huge pa...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed for two nights at the hotel, over the weekend for a football game and the location was terrific. However the room itself whilst very large was very dirty, hair in the bathroom, dirty carpet(we kept our shoes on), sticky coffee table, unwashed tile in the entry way and kitchen, I will say that the sheets on the bed smelled and looked clean but I couldn't help feeling itchy all night due to the general uncleanliness. The worst part was a lingering odor of sewer, that came in wafts. I would have given a worse rating but there were some redeeming factors - the staff is awesome! Friendly, helpful, and attentive, but that will not be enough for me to return and overlook the faults.

• Stayed October 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Ok...where to start?

This hotel is plain worn out. The only thing keeping me from giving it a poor rating is that the front desk staff was so darned nice.

It appears that the lobby had been renovated, but the rooms are seriously worn. Every wall, cabinet, and piece of furniture in my room were dinged up...seemed like they were installed in 1983 and never touched again.

The bed was cheap and not terribly comfortable.

I only picked this hotel because it was 3 blocks from my buddy's house...so location was a plus...but I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo