“Good Chinese Food. Worth a Try.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good Chinese Food. Worth a Try.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Yat Ka Mein recently relocated to Madison Road in Oakley. I drove by many times as they remodeled what was formerly a fast food restaurant. They finally opened and I was anxious to give it a try.

The restaurant seems to be a family run operation. The chef is from Hong Kong and his specialty is noodles. The atmosphere is friendly, the service prompt and the portions very generous. My wife and I went for a light dinner on a Friday evening. The restaurant was about half full, most of the patrons being Asian. The menu is extensive, with many noodle and dumpling dishes (in additional to traditional Chinese fare). We began with Vietnamese lettuce wraps and steamed shrimp dumplings. Both were excellent. The lettuce was crisp and fresh, the filling very tasty. The shrimp dumplings had delicate wrappers and seemed to evaporate as I ate them. For entrees we ordered honeyed shrimp with almonds and the house specialty, Yat Ka Mein Bowl. Again, the portions were large. The Yat Ka Mein Bowl consisted of egg noodles and slices of chicken, pork, crab and fish balls in a chicken broth with vegetables. I thought it quite good, although there was a bit too much garlic for my taste. The honeyed shrimp were served with broccoli and almonds. The dish was good but could have been outstanding. My criticism is that the almonds were not candied and a little stale. I have had variations of this dish at other restaurants, often served with candied walnuts or pecans. The almonds would have been fine had they been fresh and candied.

The menu listed many interesting dishes. My wife and I are looking forward to returning and trying several more.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Lexington, Ky
“Good - fresh Chinese”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

We split some spring rolls and szechuan chicken. It was cooked to order. Pretty quick and very yummy.
The place looked old and tired but they are moving this month so call ahead to make sure you get the correct address.

Visited January 2012