“Good, but not first rate”
Review of Boi Na Braza

Boi Na Braza
Reserve with OpenTable
Boi Na Braza is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 1,961 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Brazilian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Fountain Square at the Carew Tower
Arizona
“Good, but not first rate”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I've ate at least 6 other Brazilian BBQ type restaurants around the country and would rate this place in the middle of the pack. The lamb was the best meat at this place! Many of the beef products were average quality and nothing spectacular. The chicken and pork products were very good, just not earth shaking like I've had at other places like this. There are no "exotic" types of meat like Ostrich etc that I've had at other places. The side dishes were very good along with the deserts. The staff was friendly and ever present.

Visited August 2013

Crestview, Florida
“Good food, most of the meat was great...”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Heard many good things, could not wait to eat here.
Appetizer buffet was totally amazing, everything I tried was awesome.
Great Argentina wine, good drinks.
All of the meat was good, but was not really impressed by the steak.
Two of the steak cuts were really fatty, kind of disappointing, the rest were great.
The dessert was awesome!!!!
Overall it was very good and I would go back, just need to remember to bring plenty of money, not the least expensive place to eat.

• Visited August 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“Beef.”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were in town for a long weekend, and went to Boi Na Braza on a Sunday with a couple of friends. When we got there we discovered that they had a couple of specials - ladies were half price, and if you bought one bottle of wine the second was free. All the better!

There weren't many people there - I guess that's why they were running the specials. it's a nicely spaced restaurant, with lots of room to walk. But I guess you need that with gauchos walking about with skewers of meat.

One thing that is difficult about Brazilian places like this that the salad bars are just huge. I know it's done deliberately, but it can be problematic for someone like me who gets sucked into that sort of thing. Soup, prosciutto, romano, asparagus, salads, broccoli with cheese, all kinds of good stuff. It was hard not to fill up on the salad bar!

The gauchos were very accomodating. Our friends prefer their meat well done, so the gauchos would go back and cook their portion specially for them. Not sure if they would do that on a busier evening, but since there were only four or so other tables maybe they were being more accomodating. All of the meats offered were excellent - bacon wrapped filet and chicken breast, sausages, sirloin, lamb, you name it. I was stuffed pretty much momentarily, but the men kept on going, and our troop of gauchos kept bringing it for them.

There are also a a dessert cart and a dessert drink cart. Both were quite impressive. Our main server was just wonderful, and patiently managed everyone's requests for dessert and after dinner drinks. My husband's Grand Marnier was laid on it's side and warmed for him. I was allowed to taste the various ports before I made a decision as to what I wanted. The creme brulee was excellent - very nearly perfect. The best I've had in a while, even better than the one I reviewed at Mooo in Boston.

It was an excellent dinner, with excellent service. We will definitely go back next time we are in Cincinnati.

• Visited July 2013
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“Matter of taste: my taste says "great"”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Some of my family gathered at Boi Na Braza tonight for a joint celebration. The concept here, as you can read in detail on their website or menu, is Brazilian gaucho charrascuria: meat, meat and more meat, grilled and brought to table on skewers where waiters slice or slide off your portion for you. Now, I've been in excellent restaurants that offered variations on churrasco--and I've been to Cena Brazilian in Dayton, the same concept but run by an owner who, unfortunately, is now doing time for insurance fraud involving arson on that restaurant and her home. Sad. Cena was a huge disappointment, with a horrid salad bar and meats that all tasted the same. I came away wishing there'd been some cuisine instead of mechanical cooking.

Anyway, I was eager to see if this Brazilian steak house could redeem the style. Well, they did so--and they deserve a rave.

The restaurant is located in the heart of Cincinnati, right across from historic and scenic Fountain Square, in what once was the first floor of a department store in the complex of what's now the Hilton hotel, heralded as a masterpiece of art deco architecture. The decor of Braza is mature, nice panel wainscotting and muted tones. The service staff is delightful and competent in every measure; it's not quite a full-on fine dining experience but it had many of the elements of personal attention and detail.

We shared a couple of bottles of excellent Malbec. The prixe fixe menu is simple. You start by serving yourself as much as you'd like from the salad bar. When ready, you turn your personal token on your table from red to green; the "gauchos" start to offer you from their selection of skewered meats. Finally, there's the dessert cart and your choice of after-dinner drinks.

The salad bar in quality ranges from acceptable to fabulous. You can, of course, assemble a tossed lettuce salad or a spinach salad; there are also potato salad, a sort of Waldorf, some pasta salad. They also offer some excellent Gouda and baby Swiss cheeses, as well as some slivered parmigiano. There's a warm side that provides black beans, mashed potatos, pasta carbonara, and THE BEST marinated shitake mushrooms--make sure you don't miss them! They also provide some fried bananas, cheese pastries, and corn bread sticks for appetizing.

The meats, when you're ready, are fine. Now, the style of cooking might not be to the taste of some. The beef and pork can be a bit chewy. If you want rare or well, it might not exist on that skewer. But if you can ride with the experience, you can enjoy it I think. My personal favorite--and yours if you like this sort of flavor--is the rump roast with garlic. The rounds of rump roast are skewered and grilled, and at the perfect moment are overdosed with garlic--the garlic flavor fills your palate and it's toasted but not burnt, it's juicy, it's extraordinary. Unlike my previous exposure to this cuisine, the various cuts of meat and the sausages each receive a different cooking method, so individual flavors are maintained.

Finally, the dessert cart. We got the key lime pie, cheescake, passion fruit flan, and papaya cream. Such luxury! The key lime pie was excellent, the flan was executed flawlessly, the papaya cream was like a luxurious sherbet. Now, the cheesecake had a caramel swirl and some sort of nut topping, and I'm a cheesecake purist who doesn't like that sort of dilution--so my family left me to harvest several forkfuls of the unadultrated parts of the cake, and it was first-rate. They all seemed to like the altered parts that they ate. We topped it off with espresso, which was not nearly the best I've ever had but still was quite good.

I note that they have special catering service for wedding parties, looks quite nice, details on their website.

So a competent job by this crew, and a restaurant that I won't mind sampling again some day.

• Visited July 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“An Anniversary Dinnner to Remember”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

It was a perfect evening from the valet parking to the desert. The waiters were great, The food was excellent. and the atmosphere was relaxing. I liked the fact that the tables were not close to each other. We dressed up for the occasion but others were dressed very casually. The salad buffet and side dish buffet were very extensive and delicious. As the meat was brought to the table, you had the option of requesting different stages of doneness. Then a special serving would be brought to you. The meat ranged from filet mignon, prime rib, steak, chicken, sausage and lamb. There may have been more options but we turned our circle over from the green side to the red side when we didn't want any more meat. I don't know how anyone could try them all. I thought the idea of no menu and one price for the dinner was great. The items on the desert cart looked wonderful but we were to full to try them. We had a special anniversary desert with some kind of wonderful strawberry frosty concoction that we shared and that was plenty. It was a very enjoyable evening. We also had a drink before dinner. The Brazilian cocktail was a superb pineapple and rum goodie. The evening was a bit pricey but worth every penny!!!

Visited July 2013