“Average experience--no deal breakers”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Cincinnati
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We chose this property based on a combination of the reviews, property website, and value for the area. While our experience was okay, I expected a little more from the room based on the information I had received prior to our stay.

This hotel is located north of Cincinnati, about 20 minutes from downtown. It is a quiet location and the exterior was very nice. While it's a little bit of a drive from downtown, it's location is very convenient with I-75 and I-275 extremely accessible. Also, Sharon Woods Park (a must-see) is nearby, as well as a few restaurants. You aren't staying in the most thrilling area, but thrilling things aren't far away.

Check-in was a breeze, and all of the staff members were very friendly. The room itself was average--while the full kitchen (complete with full size refrigerator, range, and anything else you could need) and room layout were great, the general cleanliness and soundproofing definitely left something to be desired. The room was clean enough, but had a lived in feel and didn't quite match the exterior of the hotel, in my opinion.

Upon arrival, I noticed dirty (WET) towels on our bathtub. Gross, but after calling the front desk, housekeeping quickly came to retrieve them and apologized profusely. We then noticed we had been left with almost no paper towels and no tissue. Front desk quickly fulfilled our request. But it would have been nice to not have to worry about these little things. When you have been driving for hours, the last thing you want to do is worry about these little issues.

Wi-fi was a bit of a pain to get going each time we wanted to use it, but worked well enough once connected. And perhaps the most troubling issue was the amount of noise we could hear from other guests. My advice would be to try for a room on the top floor, that way you won't have to hear anyone above you. But I could hear people across the hall during the morning hours, and I'm certain they were able to hear my toddler's happy squeals, as well. Sleep was ROUGH, as our upstairs companions did not come to their room until 2-3AM, and proceeded to stomp and bang (but I really think they were just walking normally, honestly).

The indoor pool was nice and even shared an outdoor space that was quite pleasant in good weather. Breakfast was sufficient and very much appreciated--cereals, eggs, bacon, toast, muffins, etc. Coffee availability was top-notch! :)

All in all, I would consider staying here again if I were in the area, but will definitely check other properties first to compare rates and reviews.

Room Tip: Highest floor will have no upstairs neighbors and no noise!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank chilinobeans

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I chose this hotel because of the excellent reviews compared to the others in the same area. My experience was average. The room was average-we had a king with the pullout for my family of 4. The tv was super, but the WiFi was in and out constantly. Our shower drain was so slow that you stood in ankle deep water throughout your shower. Noise level from nearby and above rooms was louder than other places I've stayed. Bed was average comfort, cleaning was average as well. Pool was cloudy and crowded, breakfast was very crowded because the regular room was underconstruction...I will stay somewhere else on my next visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Katherine L
hawthorncincy, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Cincinnati, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us. We really appreciate your comments. We apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We will definitely look into the issues and address your concerns with our maintenance and housekeeping staff. Our staff does try hard to address any concerns immediately if reported. Again, we do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experience as our hotel is currently expanding the lobby and dining area to give our guests a more spacious and relaxing place to stay.
Thank you again for staying with us. Please email us with any other concerns. We appreciate the feedback and welcome the opportunity to make things right.

Shaun

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Our room was above the average, with a complete kitchen filled with all necessary cookware and service for four. Everything was comfortable and quiet. The pool was very nice, warm and relaxing. Breakfast was completely sufficient, a little different to eat in our room since no tables are available but we loved the privacy of that. Over all a very excellent experience that I'd highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Audrey M
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This was a nice hotel, very clean and staff was helpful and friendly. If sleep is of importance, request a room on an upper floor away from the pool area.
Cable, free wi-fi, and a hot breafast buffet in the lobby. Fresh cookies when you check in!

Room Tip: Stay away from 1st floor .... lots of traffic to the pool and seemed to be a congregating place for...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank kren3256
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

If you enjoy a restful sleep, do NOT accept a room in the hallway near the pool. Kids running up and down the hallway hollering for 2 hours means no sleep for you! Complained to the front desk and they told us this gaggle of monsters had JUST checked in and to give them some time. Lies.

Otherwise, the rooms are clean and beds are comfy. Bring earplugs!

• Stayed: March 2013