“Cumin Needs More Spice”

Neighborhood: Hyde Park
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Cumin Needs More Spice”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We were looking forward to eating at Cumin since the restaurant is a perennial choice for Cincinnati's top 20. What a disappointment! The bar area was quite sterile & was not "lively" at 8:00 PM on a Friday evening. The dining area was a bit warmer, but the food did not come close to meeting our expectations of Indian fusion a la the former Tabla in NYC & Vermillion in Chicago. The dishes had no cohesion with each other and were mediocre at best. Their signature dish, butter chicken, was close to uneatable. The proprietors have opened an inexpensive grill next door named M, & I guess this is their new identity and cash cow while Cumin has become an after thought.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
“I wont be back, food and service lacking”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was our first time here and I was looking forward to the place. when we arrived with a res. had to wait 45 min. with no seat at the bar area. I should have left at this point. went next door to get a drink never got a call from the hostess but we wnt over in 45 min she said that she forgot to call. we place our order with a server that had no clue of the menu and not a very good server either. Food was average at best, dont waste your time here. also he brought our bill I give him my cc he had overcharged me by $50 it took 30 min to get that straight.
the place is very load and tight

• Visited January 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Undiscovered gem in Cincinnati!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

There may be more trendy and recognizable restaurants in Cincinnati, but few can match the sheer joy of having dinner with Alex, Owen and company! From the artichoke appetizer to the grapefruit shortcake, having dinner out at Cumin should be at the top of your list!

Visited January 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Where did Cumin go?”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

According to the owner, Alex, he is trying to move Cumin away from the original "Indian-style" restaurant to a more eclectic menu and he encourages his chefs to experiment. That's OK if it works. Two of our group had lamb shanks. They were both very underdone but I would agree that they're hard to get "just right" due to the bone-in. My favorite, buttered chicken, has gone from the one remaining indian-type dish (which was phenomenal) to what resembles Montgomery Inn pulled-chicken with added spices. I really don't like the change and I told him so.
A restaurant goes on food and service. The food has gone off into the wilderness a bit. The service was, as always, excellent. This is one of the better Cincinnati restaurants. I'd miss it if it doesn't change back.

• Visited December 2012
United States
“More Than Worth the Trip”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This is a wonderful restaurant. My only complaint would be that it's so far away from our house, because I would be happy to come here every night! This time we met friends for the Sunday brunch and it was terrific as always. Their latkes are the stuff dreams are made of, and my croissant was so light and buttery, it practically floated off the plate. I'm getting hungry just writing about it, so I had better quit before I drool on my keyboard.

• Visited December 2012