“College Hill's best kept secret”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Chung Ching Restaurant
Ranked #510 of 2,009 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Reviewed September 11, 2017

We discovered this place through the recommendations of MANY friends in the restaurant industry and they weren't lying. Shared 4 entrees and 4 appetizers with friends and they were all delightful.

I have seafood allergy and Joyce was great to answer my questions.

You have to know a few things when visiting:
This is a 2-person establishment. The owners are a cook & server duo who have been operating this restaurant for over 25 years. They are not young. Have reasonable expectations on how long it will take to be seated, get orders, food, etc.

This is not a fancy place. No restaurant in College Hill is going to be like some rich uber hip Hyde Park joint. This is more on The Echo caliber, or grandma's house that hasn't been updated since 1985.

This restaurant is hidden on a stretch of Hamilton Ave. It's easy to miss. Pull in next to College Hill Larosas and drive around to the back of the strip for parking. There is tons of parking. Is is a newly paved lot? No, c'mon, we're in College Hill. There is a door to enter from the back.

They accept credit cards (only MC and VISA)

Date of visit: July 2017
2  Thank FartyParty82
Write a reviewReviews (24)

Reviewed August 16, 2017

Yes, the decor in the Chung Ching Restaurant needs a makeover, but don't let appearances stop you from enjoying great food in this hidden gem that College Hill neighbors have been patronizing for at least thirty years. Joyce waits on tables and arranges take-out orders while her husband runs the kitchen. Years ago, their kids would be sitting quietly at a back table, doing their homework. And these hard-working business people are some of us; they live just a few blocks north of the restaurant. Their Governor's Chicken is our particular favorite. Their prices are very affordable. For their spicy-hot dishes, patrons can specify the preferred degree of spiciness. After patronizing this restaurant for many years, we've never had any reason to complain.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed July 15, 2017

Husband cooks, wife does everything else in this small, family-run Chinese restaurant. BEST in the city. All food is made to order. We almost always get carryout -- about once a month -- and love the food. We've been going there for about 20 years. Yes, it is a hole in the wall--a great one. Dont be put off by it. Of late, we've also ordered our food, picked it up and taken it across the street to the new Brinks brewing.

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank M M
Reviewed February 3, 2017 via mobile

I have been stopping here for over 25 years. Joyce and her husband are wonderful people! Tonight I ordered moo shy pork ! The best .

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank bob60993
Reviewed October 3, 2015 via mobile

I am new to the area so I googled this restaurant online I wanted Chinese really bad. Anyhow, I knew I should have left the place if I didn't smell the food and the restaurant was also really dingy. I placed a takeout order the woman was really nice. So, it took like 20 min for my food so initially I'm thinking to myself this is gonna be so good it's made fresh to order. I paid for my meal which came up to $33 dollars and I regret it! Worst food ever and it wasn't edible!! Watered down, no flavor, fried rice disgusting!!! Save your money and for health sake steer clear of this place. Everyone in the house is sick now after eating our food 3 hours later. Ugh

Date of visit: October 2015