“Funky & Fun”

Arnold's Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Arnold's Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #76 of 2,047 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Love the open air patio/porch atmosphere - very unique. A great place to catch live music and a good meal.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great atmosphere with music while you dine in the courtyard. Hamburgers and fish and chips both very good. Also does a special lunch menu.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

was in town for the marathon and 16 of us from the Marathon Maniac club had dinner here the night of the race. i ordered the spaghetti with itialian sausage. it was good what there was of it. the bowl was real small, i could have eaten two of them. it almost reminded me of Olive Garden (just the food portion).

Reviewed May 18, 2013

A close friend and I were looking to grab a quick, inexpensive breakfast-for-lunch yesterday before we had to make a 1 PM appointment. We parked the car around 12:15, and noticed the one open spot we found was outside of another location: Arnold's, which I've heard about and even been recommended a couple times. While decently busy the place was obviously staffed properly and not overloaded, so we decided to give the location a try and see what's good.

We were immediately sat in the courtyard, which is the obvious draw of the location. The emotions of the old Cincinnati architecture, the classic twenties-to-fifties styled product advertisements and other art in display, the blue sky above you (I'm assuming the canopy is retracted for the nicer days, this May is proving to be a rainy one) it all really pulls you into itself for an experience, not just a meal.

The service was excellent. Arnold's seems to be very well staffed, with all of their servers staying relatively busy, but not overloaded, and our waiter was very polite and laid-back with his approach, which worked perfect for the style of restaurant. We did ask for a few recommendations, he recommended a couple pasta-style dishes which get acclaim, however as it was lunch and our first meal we were looking for lighter fare. I settled on the Blackened Salmon Po'Boy, and my partner-in-crime ordered a Chicken Caesar Salad. We didn't order sides, but a small package of chili-cheese wheat thins are part of the place setting, which is a really nice touch :)

At this point, you're probably (If anyone is reading my reviews T-T) wondering why, with all these positives so far, I gave this location a measly 3 stars.

The food hit the table quickly with moderate business (under 10 minutes), but what we got was... disappointing. The 'Blackened Salmon' was akin to a salmon-cake, like a crab-cake. There were three of them on the poboy with Lettuce, Tomato, and a chili-aioli on a roll. The salmon was... well, let's just say I ordered a $9.25 sandwich and was unhappy I did not receive a blackened salmon filet. The salmon-cakes were decent enough, but I couldn't tell if the sauce was supposed to assist the flavors or cover them up.

On top of this, number two ate all of the lettuce from the salad, but not the chicken(!) This never happens, and when I inquired as to what's wrong, the answer was simple: Flavorless chicken. Just tossed in, no attempt at making it taste good.

Then comes the bill... the $9.25 Salmon Poboy was $5.60, and the Chicken Caesar was a whopping $12.50! Confused, as we were under the impression both items were a bit above $9, but we didn't have time to bring any of this up as it happened, as we had to eat and go. It was noted a Chicken Caesar from Panera is a bit more than half the price of this salad and substantially higher in quality.

Upon investigating the menu, there is a Salmon Patty sandwich for $5.75 on the lunch menu, while what I ordered was on the dinner menu. I pointed at the menu, and clearly spoke the name of the menu item exactly, so guess the service wasn't so spot-on... the Caesar is $8.25 and adds $4.00 for the chicken, which considering there is an Asian chicken salad for $9.50 and the small size of the salad, is inexcusably expensive even ignoring quality.

You know, for all the glowing reviews on here, I'm taking it down to a 2-star :( Sorry guys, you seem to be trying and the location is amazing, but you gotta succeed at step-one before anything else, and get me some good food to eat. It's why I'm there!

I wouldn't be opposed to returning if others I were with wanted to, but I will not be making a conscious effort to return to this location. Overall: Disappointing

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was at a conference in downtown Cincinnati and wanted to find a good place to get a gluten-free dinner. Thankfully I found Arnold's. This bar and grill has been in the same building and in continuous operation since 1861. I was alone and sat in their covered courtyard area. Such a charming place. The gluten free menu was extensive. I had spaghetti with Italian sausage...yum! The dessert menu has three GF desserts. I tried the mixed berry cobbler, which was good, but not the best. Next time I'd try the triple layer chocolate cake. Overall a great experience!